Taiyo Yuden

vbimport

Hey guys:

I bought a 50 pack of these dvd-R’s from supermediastore and this is what comes up for the dvd identifier

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:€…xu]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Manufacturer Not Found In Database]
Manufacturer ID : [€…xu]
Blank Disc Capacity : [254,541,600 Sectors = 497,151.6MB = 485.50GB (521.30GB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Did I get ripped off ?
Could you send me to a RELIABLE site where I can purchase good quality
dvd-r’s
THANKS
Jim

Thats pretty strange? Maybe you should try downloading the free ver of dvdinfopro and see what it pulls up on it?
http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=106
It says that the free ver expires on 1/03/05 but I think someone posted that it works anyway. Maybe you got a bad pack? I assume that you have tried to pull the info off of several disks and none work? I would either try burning one to see if it works and run cdspeed on it (or kprobe if you have a liteon drive)and or call supermediastore and try to exchange/return.

can you post a link to the ones you bought?

Sorry I cant remember. It was around 4-5 weeks ago and all I remember is its here http://www.supermediastore.com/ and its the 50 Pack 4X DVD-R

OMG now I am getting a sh*t load of bad media errors :a

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID xu
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 2.0x 2770KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 00 6A 00 00 08 06 13 0D 10 0E 07 00 09 97 07 0D .j…
00000010 0B 78 88 00 0A 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 0B 06 18 17 .x…
00000020 85 78 75 00 0C D6 89 A8 92 01 20 00 0D 10 00 D0 .xu… …

i think you have some fake taiyo yuden discs because they haven’t had any real 4x taiyo yudens in quite awhile

also, if they are not selling them any more, then that is also a pretty good indication that are not real (since you can’t find the link to the discs) :wink:

do you remember how much they cost?

It was either $37 shipped or $37 + shipping

$37 for 50 pack? Wow, big rip-off. Plus those are not the genuine TYs. I like the TY deal at Best Buy. $20 for 50. Made in Japan. If I have problem, then I bring back the media for a new spindle. Best warranty in the business.

This makes me a little weary of purchasing from supermediastore. I have an order arriving today, as a matter of fact. 100 printable 8x prodiscs and some clamshell cases. I certainly wouldn’t buy anything 4x. Isn’t it kinda cheesy that they are a yahoo site?

OMG this fukin sucks. I cant get one disc to work now :a

I wish I would have kept the receipt, this is BULLSH*T

This fukin blows

I am going to go to the store cause I need more discs so when I look at the UPC say for TDK what should I look for ?

Could someone refer me to a GOOD online store

THANKS

Look for Made in Japan. Check out 8X DVD+Rs from Fuji, TDK, Maxell, and Sony. Most Target stores have Made in Japan Sony, both DVD+R and DVD-R. Don’t go with just the brand name.

Circuit city has 25 packs of 8x tdk on sale for 8$ and compusa has 50 packs for 20$ if their is one of those near you. With the 8x+r if it is made in japan it’s yuden000t02 (I’m currnetly having issues with that media but I’ll leave that to the thread where it is being discussed). the rest is going to be ricohjpnr02, cmcmage01 or a tdk media code. I don’t think the tdk media code stuff is too common but it is suposed to be good (I havent tried any myself). If the spacers on top of the disks are bright white foam rubber they should be ricoh and if they are less dense (visable bubbles in the plastic) and the plastic is semi transparent (kind of like the plastic bubble wrap is made of) then they should be cmcmag. I cannot guarentee that will acuratlly identify them but I think that and the surface of the disk is the best we have to go on right now. As far as the surface of the disk, go to the 29th post on this thread for pictures
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=117179&page=2&pp=25
Unfortunatlly it is hard to tell through the plastic of the spindle so unless you have both types in front of you to compare it might be difficult to id it from the disk surface.
If anybody gets (or has gotten) any that doesn’t match up with the disk spacer color thing, please post so that we know that it in not a reliable way to id the stuff. Personally I would go for the ricoh’s.
On the off chance that their is a micro center near you (they don’t have that many stores) they still have verbatium 8x on sale (mcc media codes on the + and -, top quality stuff). I guess you could get it online from them but I have heard they are not the most honest with thier online sales. If anyone else has ordered online from them or knows more please post as I have never ordered from them myself (just heard things). Their is one local to me so I just go to the store. If I recall right it’s 30 or 35$ for 50 (cannot remember which).

wooo semi good news

Just went to comp usa and bought a 50 pack of TDK for $20, they are made in Taiwan DVD-R47DCB50TP :frowning: but I dont care a dvd is finally burning !! lol

OHH yeah

I just found the receipt for the yudens

They are Taiyo Yudens Silver Thermal 8X DVD-R and they were $33 shipped

I am only 2 days late on the return policy so I HOPE they take this POS dvds back cause I dont want them

Whats the media code on those? Personally I prefer the media codes you get with the 8x+r tdks but it’s good to hear that they are working good.

I don’t have any problems with fuji 8x +r’s from Japan. I don’t know what burner ripit uses, but with my NEC those yuden T02’s burn at 16x. Only 8x in my lite-on, but they are the best media I have found so far.

There are experienced folks with Yuden000 T02 that will not burn well at 16X. Could be QC issue. However, I suspect the storage environment plays a bigger factor. To be fair, these are 8X rated media!

I am actually using the same two brands of burners you are. I have a liteon 851s@832s and a maddog (nec3500) running mad dog firmware.
I don’t want to hijack this thread so here is the thread that it is being discussed on.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=126341
Basically it’s a quality control issue with yuden000t02. One pack burns well, the next not so well (using the same drives and firmwares that were burning well). It seems that most are not having problems but their are more than a few that have had problems. It seems to have been mostly fuji ty though I just had a problems with tkd ty.