Taiyo Yuden x48 cdr's - have they lost all signs of quality?

I have used TY for years now and mostly have had zero problems - until the past year and buying the unbranded x48 100 pack’s from svp. It’s got to the stage where 1 in 3 show signs of slowdown, a few yellow blocks and very occasionally red blocks.

I thought my burner had problems, but I can get runs of burns with no slowdown or problems on this media. If I try using other media after say 2 problem burns using TY media (random from several batches of 100 after witnissing slowdowns and pauses during cdspeed tests), such as Mitsui or other media they burn just perfect - every time I change media the burns are error free (all green), no slowdowns, etc - but I keep getting bad burns (slowdown/pauses) with the latest lot of 400 TY discs and those I bought from svp (the last 200 discs) late last year.

Others I believe mentioned the quality of TY media (cdr) seems to have dropped. So, what are other peoples experiences? Is the media quality nosediving? Are the ones SVP purchase inferior? Just what has happened. It cannot be my drive if it burns find to what is often considered lesser quality media - it always burnt TY just fine. It is a 2401040a. Oh, if I use the older x48 Plextor branded TY I still have some of no problems - they burn fine.

Thanks (he who used to believe TY were king)

the last time i used TY was with the 32x types. theyu worked brilliant. I couldnt care less though.

now its all about DVD. and TY are leading it quality wise at the moment.

btw, with cdr (which i have not burned for ages) u could always use verbatim DLP or ritek.

maybe ur burner is a little bit half dead. its a 24x right? i bet thats burned its fair share of discs eh? oh and did u say the other discs burned fine or not? i dont get that last bit.

"Oh, if I use the older x48 Plextor branded TY I still have some of no problems - they burn fine. "

i dont get it lol. they burn fine? or not?

The unbranded TY x48 bought a few months ago and those from an earlier batch (which I had similar problems on some but a far smaller percentage - and almost a year ago) give problems with slowdown, yellow sectors and rarely red sectors, and maybe 10-30 % of them.

In between burning these discs, if I try serveral other brands in a row, menaing 2-3 discs burned, such as older sourced TY x48 Plextor branded media bought elsewhere, Mitsui ultra’s, Ritek’s, etc, they give no problem.

The drive has burnt 1000’s of cdr’s - so it could be on it’s way out (the premium had me worried about it’s write quality compared to the excellent 241040) - but why does it burn fine on all other lesser quality media (supposedly lesser quality) and many of the x48 TY’s (new ones)? Either it would be dodgy and getting worse, not just having problems with the king of media - hmmm.

unbranded x48 100 pack’s from svp

Have you looked at the ATIP? There such things as fake TY’s.

ATIP: 97m 24s 01f
Disc Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Company Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 72f / LBA: 359847)

Just ugraded the firmware to 1.04 (was using 1.03 since 1.03 was released - but thought maybe something has changed. No difference. Cleaned system of crap in caches, firmware upgrade worked first time without error (plextor’s exe), rebooted and wrote a prepared svcd image. CDSpeed started to do it’s thing but although it progressed for the first 90% of the disc all green, it does seem slower than with Mitsui media bought 2 years ago and not used until now. Near the end, it suddenly stops, pauses for ages, but carries on eventually getting to the end with no error in scandisk or quality checks. In this case, ejecting and redoing it has slowdown and pauses but often better than another run - hmmm.

Maybe it’s the drive, but it is 100% with other media - very strange.

Well, just installed an NEC 1300 as master and placed the plextor 241040 as slave. Burnt 2 TY cdr’s as svcd’s and both seem ok. The NEc was used to burn at x16 (ok?). The NEC is so slow using CDSpeed, which I am used to as a limit of x2 using NEC firmware on dvd playback, but for cd’s - this can’t be right!

So, xfer’d the burnt discs to the plextor as run CDSpeed using that and they pass all green and quick as usual for the drive i.e x20ish.

I have another problem with svcd’s playing in the NEC ok but not in the plextor using PowerDVD - I will start a new thread.

I cant comment on how much truth is in what I’ll say now, but I believe some respected person once said, that fast media (eg 48x) doesnt like being burned at slow speeds (eg 24x) - so it might have something to do with that…

if not, then forgive me my naivness :slight_smile:

Originally posted by QQuxa

I cant comment on how much truth is in what I’ll say now, but I believe some respected person once said, that fast media (eg 48x) doesnt like being burned at slow speeds (eg 24x) - so it might have something to do with that…

The dyes based on cyanine tend to have a wide range of acceptable recording power levels and recording speeds .

Originally posted by BoSkin

Yamaha F1E 1.0g 700MB Audio

Taiyo Yuden 48x burnt @bestCLV

Drive Type = CD-RW
Disc Type = CDR (A+)
Material = Cyanine
Lead In = 97:24:01
Lead Out = 79:59:72
Nominal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 72f/LBA:359847)
Manufacturer Maybe = Taiyoyuden,DX Dye
Smart-Burn Speed Limit = Wrt(52X),Rd(52X)

Sold as Verbatim Pastel 48x

Yamaha’s Audio Master Mode = x0.85, bestCLV = approx. 7-8x

SW - Feurio

well, I can only speculate… at many times i had different troubles with cds, and had different ideas about what causes them…

did you try different burning sw anyway? havent tried feurio, but I know nero causes me problems from time to time.

The fact than one drive burns a particular media well at low speed does not mean that another drive will too. It’s about power calibration, not about speed.

Originally posted by QQuxa

did you try different burning sw anyway?
CCD, PlexTools, Nero, CD Mate, Alcohol…you name it. Check CD-RW Media Tests.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

The fact than one drive burns a particular media well at low speed does not mean that another drive will too.
Yet the media, i.e. TY in this case, is universal and that’s the point ( @least mine ) here.

Hi again - thanks for the follow-ups. I have burnt all the cd’s (4000+) at x4 and x12 (Kodak golds and many Mitsui Ultra’s at x4), now Mitsui + TY at x12. Never had a problem before. It seems the plextor is dying with respect to burning (laser power?) but is ok to use as a check - the nec is very very slow - does it always work at low speed (x2 or thereabouts) during reading - I know the dvd speed is set to x2 without hacked firmware - but for cd’s? It burns fine at x16 onto the media so I will use that.

Funny how the plextor burns and verifies without problem onto other media - looks like the 1.03/1.04 firmware needs more power to burn onto TY than the others, as I assume the laser current + o/p is failing.

http://www.nierle2.com/s01.php?sid=d8dd89255defee0eb27f08db9fc961c4&shopid=s01&cur=eur&sp=de&ag=1&os=1&br=1&pp=aa&bnr=2014

I was planning to buy those TY disks. I hope they are not fakes…

Has anyone tried those?

Originally posted by Zombie2

I was planning to buy those TY disks. I hope they are not fakes…

LOL. What makes you think so ? Do you have any grounds to mistrust this source ?

Hi All

I have also recently started to get problems with TYS, mine are from SVP.

They seem to give me trouble in this way, I burn one, but when insertd into my machine afetr the burn, I have in out maybe once or twice to get them to mount.

I have received TYs burnt by somebody else a source I highly trust, and his burns on TYs really do give me big problems, I am lucky if I get them to mount at all. His are sourced from cd-rmedia.

Seems that it is time to find another brand.

Can anybody here recommend a brand for somebody who burns quite alot and buys lots of blanks but requires good media with a high longevity?

Many many thanks for your time.

Washac

Originally posted by washac

Can anybody here recommend a brand for somebody who burns quite alot and buys lots of blanks but requires good media with a high longevity?
Yes, sure. Verbatim DL [COLOR=blue]Pastels by Taiyo Yuden.[/COLOR]