Taiyo Yuden will sell under JVC brand in Europe

According to Heise, TY, who have bought the JVC media section a while ago, will start selling their products under the JVC brand in Europe.

Up to now, TY was not available except as unbranded media in Europe, making it difficult to tell the difference to cheap fakes. Some brands sell TY manufactured discs but you needed to know how to identify them. Now that TY gets its own brand it becomes much easier to get genuine TY media.

Heise also mentioned TY will start manufacturing Bluray in future.

The link (in German, use Google or Babelfish): Taiyo Yuden starts selling under JVC brand

Moomin

Great news, thanks for the info. :flower:
slightly offtopic - does anybody know if JVC still does make any RW or DL media in their japanese factory? AFAIK some Ricoh DLs were made by JVC.

That’s good news.
Hopefully they will sell them at a decent price.

They’re already selling some That’s Blu Ray on nikoneko-Ya
http://stores.ebay.com/nikoneko-Ya

I’m certainly happy to read that Taiyo Yuden’s going to get back into the mainstream markets, I’m just surprised they didn’t use their existing “That’s” brandname.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2232899]I’m certainly happy to read that Taiyo Yuden’s going to get back into the mainstream markets, I’m just surprised they didn’t use their existing “That’s” brandname.[/QUOTE]

I guess because “That’s” brandname is not too well known in Europe.

That’s isn’t really a known brand here, JVC is and has a good reputation.

I’m old enough to remember That’s audio cassette tapes in stores, and they were the cheap kind. Those who remember That’s here may not think of it as a high quality brand. Again, they do about JVC, which was the top notch brand along with Panasonic for VHS.

Moomin

Interesting news, any time frame on when we might start seeing these about?

Hopefully better than the Weath Fair Industries JVC stuff we’ve had :slight_smile:

Weren’t the 4x JVC’s TY’s?

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;2232912]Interesting news, any time frame on when we might start seeing these about?[/QUOTE]

The article says “june”

Moomin

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2232915]Weren’t the 4x JVC’s TY’s?[/QUOTE]
Yes, and they was one of the best media available at that time.

Please God/Allah/Buddha/Jesus/Yaweh, can you have some of that JVC accidently make it’s way to the United States? Thank you. :bow:

Hi,[QUOTE=Moomin;2232844]According to Heise, TY, who have bought the JVC media section a while ago, will start selling their products under the JVC brand in Europe.[/quote]Nice :slight_smile:

Up to now, TY was not available except as unbranded media in Europe, making it difficult to tell the difference to cheap fakes.
At least their CD media was (and still is) sold as Verbatim Pastel. DVD media are available under Verbatim and TDK brand - easily detectable from the shape of the spindle (and the MIJ on the Verbatim package).

Michael

Also, don’t forget the Maxell Full Printable 16x -R and +R DVDs which are also TY and dirt cheap not to forget. Hopefully the JVC ones will be below the Maxell price point.

well, where i can find it?? JVC yuden??

[quote=Moomin;2232916]The article says “june”

Moomin[/quote]

Ahem :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Moomin;2232844]According to Heise, TY, who have bought the JVC media section a while ago, will start selling their products under the JVC brand in Europe.

Up to now, TY was not available except as unbranded media in Europe, making it difficult to tell the difference to cheap fakes. Some brands sell TY manufactured discs but you needed to know how to identify them. Now that TY gets its own brand it becomes much easier to get genuine TY media.

Heise also mentioned TY will start manufacturing Bluray in future.

The link (in German, use Google or Babelfish): Taiyo Yuden starts selling under JVC brand

Moomin[/QUOTE]

Additionally older JVC media was mostly TY allready, that was untill they switched. So with the take over they look to be switching back.
Still I have doubts about this improving the availability much seeing how small the JVC brand name for optical media was so far in Europe, but still some stores might jump on it, because of the more known name.

About Maxell Printable. - Not all is TY. (ALSO CMC and if you have really old stock it’s maxell.)

[QUOTE=Moomin;2232905]That’s isn’t really a known brand here, JVC is and has a good reputation.

I’m old enough to remember That’s audio cassette tapes in stores, and they were the cheap kind. Those who remember That’s here may not think of it as a high quality brand. Again, they do about JVC, which was the top notch brand along with Panasonic for VHS.

Moomin[/QUOTE]

That’s were known as cheap but also known to be reliable Tapes.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2237254]Additionally older JVC media was mostly TY allready, that was untill they switched. So with the take over they look to be switching back.
Still I have doubts about this improving the availability much seeing how small the JVC brand name for optical media was so far in Europe, but still some stores might jump on it, because of the more known name.[/QUOTE]I remember some Saturn stores selling JVC media :slight_smile: