Taiyo Yuden Watershields (Cleaning?)

vbimport

Hey everyone,

I have two questions and I was hoping someone can help me out. So today I finally got the Taiyo Yuden Watershields DVDs and all I have to say is wow. It is glossy and beautiful looking. Unfortunately I am experiencing two problems. I am using a Canon MP610.

1. Fingerprints. I can see my fingerprints on the dvds and honestly I don’t know what to use to clean them. Can someone recommend me something? I am going to let the dvds dry for 24 hours, but I don’t know what to use to remove the fingerprints. I live in canada so if you recommend a product, please be sure it can ship to canada.

2. After printing directly to dvd, i noticed a small portion (the edge of the disc) has some ink on it. It seems to be on the same spot for all my dvd printing. it’s almost like the ink seems to be leaking on the same portion all the time. I used cleanex to wipe the ink off, but then left a smudge on the dvd. Is this happening with anyone? How can I get a perfect print without ink leakage on the edge of my dvds?

That’s about it. I hope someone can help me out.

Are you trying to print out to the vey edge of the white printable area of the DVD?
If so then you are printing to far out, the very outside edge will not accept ink or
if you try to print to close to the center hub area it is the same way also.

No Im not. I was using the settings CDan provided me. When I printed on the non-watershield (white printable hub) I never had any leaks on the edges. Using the same settings for watershield DVDs gives me problems. I always have to whip that extra loose link off the edges after printing. Can someone help answer the questions in my first post as well?

Watershield printable area does not extend all the way out over the white area. If you hold them up to the light you can see where the clear printable area ends. At 118mm, you may still see some over-print especially if you are not exactly centered. If you see the over-print only in one area, you are not centered.

As to cleaning, do not use any sort of paper, only soft cotton cloth. Of course the best solution is to not handle the discs except by the edges, so fingerprints do not occur.

Should I wait after 24 hours to dry before i wipe the fingerprints? (ya i messed up on a few dvds).

I suppose you could wait 24hrs. The surface should be dry to touch in a few minutes but I imagine it does harden up over time.

I don’t mean to highjack the thread with a question, but it seems related. I try to wipe off the edges (which is the non printable area) and it smudges. How do I get the settings correct? I’ve changed it from 118 to 116, but now my image isn’t centered with a 0.5mm white space at the bottom (past the nonprintable area). So I tried to shift it 1mm down, now I have the white space on top. How can I fix this? Since it only takes 1mm changes

[QUOTE=seventeen7;2450758]I don’t mean to highjack the thread with a question, but it seems related. I try to wipe off the edges (which is the non printable area) and it smudges. How do I get the settings correct? I’ve changed it from 118 to 116, but now my image isn’t centered with a 0.5mm white space at the bottom (past the nonprintable area). So I tried to shift it 1mm down, now I have the white space on top. How can I fix this? Since it only takes 1mm changes[/QUOTE]

What software? What printer? Centering adjustments should be done in 0.1mm increments. Also be aware that side-to-side adjustment can affect the apparent top-to-bottom centering, and vice versa.

Look at the attachment. Personally, I feel no matter what settings you use, you will always have the little ink dots at the edge of the dvd (only the ones you print in color).

The image was taken from

http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/14844-Primera-Disc-Publisher-SE-Blu-review/Printing-Quality-6/

The fact that they printed on a watershield taiyo yuden cd-r, i get the same results with the dvd-rs.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what other DVD-r Watershield we can use similar to the glossy finish of the ty watershields…but without the dotted edges?

Discussed many times in this forum. The Watershield, (and AquaAce) media has a white area that is larger than the printable area by about 1/2mm. Attempting to print outside the printable area results in the blobbed ink. You can see the printable area by holding a blank disc up to the light. The printable area is about 118mm, but due to printer and software variations it may require a setting of 117mm on some systems.

All the white glossy discs use the same type setup, with the clear glossy printable finish being coated over standard white thermal-printable discs.

In the image posted above, the label has been printed off-center.

That’s probably why. My settings are at 118mm. Maybe its time to change it to 117.5 or something. I will let you know tomorrow night on how that turns out to be.

By the way, CDan, do you prefer AquaAce or ty watershield?

[QUOTE=indianagent;2451084]

By the way, CDan, do you prefer AquaAce or ty watershield?[/QUOTE]

There’s a thread in here somewhere on the comparison. They have slightly different white levels but otherwise are more alike than not.

I generally prefer TY for consistency in burn quality.