Taiyo Yuden unbranded cd-r = problems :(

vbimport

So my concern is a spindle of Taiyo Yuden unbranded cd-r’s that I just bought. Here is a pic for reference. I have burned about 5 of them already and 4 of them shows major read drops in a read test done with Nero CD-DVD Speed (I did the same test with Kprobe too). In error tests done with Kprobe they showed good/ok results. Here are some scans. Has anyone else had any similar experiences? I thought that Taiyo Yuden CD-R’s are very high quality :confused:

3 of the burned discs contain imagefiles burned with clonecd and alcohol.
The fourth disc contains just some regular data burned with Nero. The fifth disc is a test data disc burned with Nero CD-DVD Speed and that one doesn’t show any huge falls in a data read test. :eek:

Also one very interesting thing is that the media info on these discs is (before burning) : Manufacturer = Taiyo Yuden Company Limited and after the burn it says : Unknown Manufacturer. :confused:

My drive is Liteon 451S @ 851S with GS0H fw.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :bow: I’m very confused about this. Just a bad batch or my drive doesn’t just support it? Which I think would be very odd.

So here’s a pic of the cd and then a readtest done with Nero CD-Speed and an errortest done with Kprobe. This is a imagedisc.

And here are the scans of the datadisc done withNero CD-Speed. A readtest done with Nero CD-Speedand then an errortest done with Kprobe.

edit : and oh sry about the finnish language in the Nero CD-Speed shots… forgot to change that to english :confused: noticed after I had sent them…

Judging by the look of the discs, they’re not genuine Taiyo Yudens. Genuine TYs have a FROSTED opaque ring around the hub and “engraved” serial numbers.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Damn… :sad: well that was a disappointment… hmm maybe I should take them back and demand a refund. :a they cost about 33€ which is about 40$

edit : it was a 100pcs spindle of them

That picture is not a genuine TY disk.

As has been mentioned, TY code numbers in the Hub are engraved not printed in black. Also the engrave number is across the central hub, not around it.

You have without doubt, been ripped off :frowning:

I would take/send these back to where they came from.

Hi again guys :slight_smile:

I have some new info regarding to my discs, the pic that I showed earlier isn’t one of my discs, don’t know what it is… but here’s a real pic that I just took. You can see from the pic that it has an engraved serial number in the center, also it seems that it does have an opaque frosted ring in the middle too.

The pic that I showed earlier was from the shop that I had bought those… how stupid of me not to inspect my own discs before this :frowning: sry.
Well anyway… so maybe these discs really are genuine TY’s :confused:

Hi

It is not TY disk I am afraid.

Yes it has a frosted centre, it also has an engraved number, but, and here is the givaway.

The engraved number on a TY disk is across the centre, not around it as in your picture. I did explain this in my last post…

Take em back :frowning:

Washac

You stole my last piece of hope… :sad: sobs uncontrollably and hides under the bed bohohohohoooo… Taiyo Yuden… sob sob… :sad:

I’ve got to disagree here. All my recent purchases of Fuji 50-pack Made In Japan spindles have an engraved number around the center, rather than straight across as in the past. These spindles are in bog-standard TY cakeboxes.

SmartBurn 3.1.6 from a silver-top unbranded TY purchased from rima.com, with “horizontal” number:

Drive Type = CD-RW
Disc Type = CDR
Material = Cyanine
Lead In = 97:24:01
Lead Out = 79:59:72
Nominal Capacity = 702.83MB
Manufacturer Maybe = Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X (Write)

Same info from a new Fuji TY with a “circular” number:

Drive Type = CD-RW    
     Disc Type = CDR
      Material = Cyanine

SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X (Write)

Close enough for me.

Interesting… I got these results from my discs :
Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = CDR
Material = Cyanine
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 40X (Write)

The same as yours Cap :iagree:

The TY CDR’S from HP I’ve used have a straight engraved numbering. I dunno about recent ones though

Where did you buy these taiyo yuden cd-rs?

I have never seen a TY engraving around the centre, even later ones.

All the “circular” TYs I’ve purchased are Fuji 50-packs marked “Made In Japan,” in standard TY cakeboxes, from Best Buy in Williston, Vermont.

I discussed this some 5 months ago in this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=81537

post deleted by Jucius_Maximus

Strange. My latest Fuji Made in Japan TY spindle had them across the centre…

This was purchased maybe 3-4 months ago.

The 10pk 32X Fuji Color I have are engraved across. Another 10pk 48X Color has 2 blue disc that are engraved around the hole while the other colors are across.

All the other TY Fuji, regular and Photo cdr, in 50 spindle and slim case, and the TY Maxell cdrPro that I bought in the last few months have circular serial numbers.

I got all my Fuji cdr from Staples, Super Store and London Drugs in Vancouver.

Did they have a “frosted” “greyish” plastic near the centre hole? All my TY’s have that.

Those of you with circular serial number - are they frosted near the centre?

Yes, they are all frosted.

Then my question goes to Xynodus: Are your ‘TY’ discs frosted?