Taiyo Yuden "TYG01" DVD-R's

if a Sony DRU-500 flashed with hacked Liteon firmware counts as a LiteOn DVD burner

Yes, it does. Unfortunately, external drives of any kind cannot be accessed by Kprobe.

If I’m right the DRU-500 is made by sony…even if you use a Lite-On firmware on it it will still be manufactured by sony and not work with K-Probe.

It do NOT matter what brand or firmware a drive have, but it must be manufactured by Lite-On to work with K-Probe.

That slipped past me completely. Yes, the author has told us that the Sony-made drives do not work with Kprobe.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]If I’m right the DRU-500 is made by sony…even if you use a Lite-On firmware on it it will still be manufactured by sony and not work with K-Probe.

It do NOT matter what brand or firmware a drive have, but it must be manufactured by Lite-On to work with K-Probe. [/B]

Yep, you’re right…I tried it last night (took the Sony out of my firewire chassis and put it on an IDE controller, then flashed with LDW-400D 1.2d firmware). Kprobe refused to run the Write Strategy tests, usually giving “Illegal Command Sequence” errors. Oh well.

Hehe, this is a thread after my heart.

Damn, it took me some digging to find this one. Hail Google.

I was looking for results of the much-praised TYG01 DVD-R media, since I bought 50 of them but got really bad results scanning burns of my NEC 1300a using KProbe in my LTD 166s DVD-ROM.

So much worse than -like said above- even Princo’s, that I was very worried that I had thrown away the extra money on these discs and that I was stuck with 45 of them that I couldn’t really use.

HOWEVER! Since the original poster also reads in a 166s like me, and not in a Lite-On Writer, I highly suspect this unit to be the culprit.

Still, two is not big enough a sample to be statistically sound.

Please if anyone could test this definitively, I’d be very happy to send you a burn i made to be tested with a LiteOn DVD Writer!