Taiyo Yuden "TYG01" DVD-R's

vbimport

G’day all,

Has anybody used Taiyo Yuden “TYG01” DVD-R’s (Fujifilm-branded or otherwise)? I’m just wondering if these discs have a frosted centre hub or not because I saw some TDK DVD-R47EB discs at a local shop and they do not have a frosted centre. I was told previously that these discs may be “TYG01” discs.

Thanks for any help!

mine have a clear center and i just got the 10 pack from office max.
fuji made in japan 4x r-

now a combo pak i got of fuji r+ and rw+ are made in taiwan and have clear center also.

hope this helps ya.

btw, they work great in my new pioneer 106d and here is what cd/dvd speed says for disc info: this if for the fuji japan r-

Manufacturer : TYG01
Code : -
Disc Type : DVD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : -
Recording Speed : 1 X - 4 X
Capacity : 4.38 GB
4706076672 Bytes
Additional Capacity : -
Overburn Capacity : -

========================================
and for the taiwan fuji:

Manufacturer : Ricoh
Code : RICOHJPN
Disc Type : DVD+R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : -
Recording Speed : 2.5 X
Capacity : 4.38 GB
4700375040 Bytes
Additional Capacity : -
Overburn Capacity : -

Has anybody actually done any real testing with these discs? I’ve tried a few simply because I’d had such great results with Taiyo Yuden CD-R’s, but the results I get from K-Probe scans on the TYG01 discs aren’t all that great at all.

You can see a scan of one of my better TYG01’s here: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~butchc/misc/tyg01.jpg
This disc was burnt in my Pioneer 106D and read in my Liteon 166S.

I’ve never actually had any problems with any of them being unreadable so perhaps I’m worried about nothing. However I’ve used lots of other DVD media that looks better in my K-Probe scans! Hey, even cheap Princo DVD-R’s give better K-Probe results than this!

I’d be very interested to hear of other people’s results with these DVD-R’s, especially if anyone else can provide some K-Probe scans. Do you guys think these DVD-R’s are up to the standard we expect from TY?

I love these Fuji TY 4x DVD-R disks. You can see more tests at cdrlabs.

All burns done on Plextor PX-708A:

Fuji TY 4x DVD-R

Burned on P-708A. Read on XJ HD163D (LTD-163D) at Max speed (16x)

You guys are getting results more like what I’d expect! I assume these Fuji 4x DVD-R’s have the TYG01 media code?

The discs I’ve tried have been TDK 4x DVD-R’s and “That’s” brand media, all with the TYG01 code and all with similarly poor results.

I guess that either my burner (Pioneer DVR-106D), or reader (Liteon 166S) doesn’t like these. I’m a bit suspicious of my Liteon reader actually, because I can’t get a nice smooth curve from it with Nero CD-speed using ANY dvd media, even Verbatim Data Life Plus which do give me much better results in K-Probe. I do get decent results from CD-speed when I use my burner or a Pioneer DVD-ROM.

On the other hand the same Liteon drive loves TY CD-R’s and gives great results for those when I use K-Probe.

I wish I had another Liteon reader here that I could try. I’m actually tempted to buy another to see if I get better results, but it’s a bit hard to justify that.

Any ideas anyone?

I’m about to backup a large amount of important data, and really want to be sure I’m using good media for the job!

Yes, they all have the TYG01 Code.

I wouldn’t put much weight on any scans done in a DVD-ROM drive. Kprobe is designed to work with the LiteOn DVD burners, the DVD-ROM’s do not report errors the same. As a very rough comparison between one burn and the next, it might be a workable method, but should not be used to compare burners or media.

I’ve burnt 20 That’s (TY) +r media from SVP, all pass green using scandisk. They were burnt at x2.4 on an NEC 1300.

I do not have a Lite-on burner or any other dvdr make that can check these errors.

So, do those large spikes make the data unreadable or just likely to fail? I would be very annoyed if these TY dvdr’s (+R) are crap. I payed £2.00 a dvdr for quality not sub-standard media.

Any ideas or ways to check better than scandisk?

Unique Disc Identifier : [YUDEN000-T01-00+R]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID : [T01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]

[DVD Plus Identifier - http://DvdPlusID.CdFreaks.com]

If the data you’re burning is critical, and not backed up in any other way, you really should be making 2 copies. This is true in any case. A “back-up” isn’t a backup unless the original copy still exists.
We don’t know much about what is being measured here, other than “less is better” for the PI/PO scans. You can check the discs with one of the file-checking utilities to be sure they’re readable.
We also know very little about the long-term reliability of any of the DVD media. But because of the high-density burning, I wouldn’t assume any degree of reliability, if critical data is at stake, until I have had them for a year at least.
All you can do is use the burning strategy and media that gives you the lowest error rates.

Well, dvd backups play fine, and data files or mpeg/avi/data burnt as data with UDF/ISO Joiliet seem fine as I performed a binary comparison on the burnt data compared to the originals.

Whether they last a long time I do not know, just that TY premium cost media should be premium and not crap they release knowing the guarantee’s are meaningless.

So, with an NEC 1300 or the new Plextor dual format burner (which I dont have) is there a preferred util that is better than scandisk that shows any low level errors?

I tried following those K-Probe and other threads, but not having a Lite-on drive it seemed pointless.

I’m not aware of any other tools for error scanning.

I’m interested that rdgrimes says we shouldn’t put too much weight on scans done in a DVD-ROM drive. I understand that we can’t take too much notice of the actual numbers, but I would have thought that even using a DVD-ROM drive, the KProbe scans would still be a reasonable tool for making relative comparisons of different media. in the same drive. Can anyone explain why this wouldn’t be the case?

All you can do is use the burning strategy and media that gives you the lowest error rates.

Absolutely! But how can I determine what gives me the lowest error rates without using KProbe? Or, by errors do you mean unreadable discs?

As I said previously, I’ve never actually had any problems with any TYG01 discs refusing to be read. It’s just that based on the scans I’ve done, I’m not sure if they should be my media of choice for burning important data. If I hadn’t done these KProbe scans I’d probably be happily using them as TY are definitely my favourites for cd-r media.

At this point I’m leaning towards using Verbatim Data Life Plus media, because these do give me better results in KProbe and they’re only slightly more expensive here.

I’d still love to get more input from other people, especially people who are finding the TYG01 discs good!

My point here is that the only testing that has any real value to you is your own. Using the tools at hand, find the media and burn speed combination that gives you the lowest errors.

My point here is that the only testing that has any real value to you is your own.

Sure - that’s a good point.

On the other hand I can’t help but wonder why my results with this media seem so different from everyone elses!

It might be the different burners we are using, or the different readers we are using.

Maybe Lite-on is the culprit :slight_smile: If they’re not the greatest write quality in cdr stakes, their write (and in this case) read quality is questionable.

If they are burnt in the Plextor, then how come results from it’s test utils are’nt used (?) - or have I missed something :slight_smile:

Only Lite-On drives work with KProbe, and as far as we all know, only KProbe can report PI/PO errors. We don’t even know if Lite-On drives are reporting it accurately.:confused:

Not re-checked any reviews, but I thought newer Plextor drives (dvd in this case) had extensive testing utils and could report back errors - must just be for the premium.

There is a newer thread where a senior MOD (airhead?) recommends plextor dvd+r media (TY) and I have responded saying I have burnt 20 and all seem fine, and this is against others slagging the TY media off - they are rebranded as Plextor + That’s.

Hmmm - worrying.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I wouldn’t put much weight on any scans done in a DVD-ROM drive. Kprobe is designed to work with the LiteOn DVD burners, the DVD-ROM’s do not report errors the same. As a very rough comparison between one burn and the next, it might be a workable method, but should not be used to compare burners or media.

Would you happen to know if a Sony DRU-500 flashed with hacked Liteon firmware counts as a LiteOn DVD burner? I couldn’t get Kprobe to recognize mine, but it’s in an external firewire chasses so maybe that’s the problem.