Taiyo Yuden (TG01) Value Line 4x DVD-R still good to use?

vbimport

I still have a box of 100 of this media that I have never used, but I think it is genuine (GDxxxxxx in hub). Is this still considered decent burning media and compatible with most players?
If so, I am building a new PC and was wondering if it would be compatible with the latest burners (such as the Samsung SH-S203B, or Pioneer 215 DBK)?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Only burner I came across that wouldn’t burn those well (TYG01 in general, not Value Line), is the LG 4167B. However, I only have a few TYG01s left, which I’m loathe to burn, so haven’t tried them on any newer burners.

Arachne,
Thanks for the welcome, and I am not bragging that I still have some 1st generation TY. I am afraid I really am that noobish- I do not really know whether it is any good or not for current use. At the time I ordered it, I thought is was considered good media.
I take it from your response it would be good to use and that if I were to use it to archive my old VHS movies to DVD, it would be playable in some stand-alone DVD players?
I understand that it will need to be burned at 4X and that will be much slower than modern media- or have I shown my ignorance in assuming this?

Oh no, I didn’t think you were bragging :disagree: (although you’d be entitled to, TYG01 is rare now! ;)).

I’ve got some, first DVD media I ever bought (Panasonic branded) in about 2004, and those still play well today on my older standalone player, and still look good when Quality Scanned. So you should be good to go with yours :slight_smile:

And yep, they should be supported at at least 4x in all modern burners :iagree:

Welcome to CDF’s:

I never had the pleasure of burning any TYG01’s…never could find any of them here locally but yeah i could have ordered some and never did.

I do have about 70 RicohjpnR01’s though.

Thanks again Arachne and Bob,
I know they are value- line so not sure if they will work as well as Premium TY, but I guess I will find out :slight_smile:
Do you recommend then to try a few and run scan to see how they are burning, or is playback quality all I need to be concerned with?

I have both the 203B and the 215D@L but i don’t have any of that media. Are you going to scan with the 203B or do you have a different drive to scan with?

I usually scan a few out of a new pack of media to see what they look like. You never know they may burn nice at 8x.

TY G01 was both 2x and then 4x labeled as time went by and drive speeds increased. It’s easily one of finest DVD media ever made and was commonly burned at 8x later on. The only thing that came close was Ricoh JPNR00 +R. G01 was long out of production before “value-line” was introduced, so it’s hard to say what the true origins of this media are. I doubt that any reputable seller of TY every offered value-line G01.

Compatibility with today’s 16x burners will be a crap-shoot. There are still many quality scans of G01 in the testing forum.

TYG01 is supported in Pioneer 115/215 series firmware at 4x and 2x, but I don’t have any TYG01, so I don’t know how well it is supported.

@[B]velvet45[/B]: Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2077426]TYG01 is supported in Pioneer 115/215 series firmware at 4x and 2x, but I don’t have any TYG01, so I don’t know how well it is supported.

@[B]velvet45[/B]: Welcome to CDFreaks! :)[/QUOTE]Not to confuse new member but one can swap strats with MCSE :wink:

Thanks for the welcome Dragemester,
That media was purchased by me back in late 2004 or early 2005 (Jan) time frame according to the UPS box it is still in.
I am only going by the numbers (GDxxxxxx series) on the media, and that I think I remember the source (cant remember who it was) advertised it as TY DVD-R. The supplier was recommended by this site at the time as a source of genuine TY- Japan. All I know is it is very early TY, and not sure if G01 is the same as what I have but it appears that they did produce some as value- line for a short time anyway.
Bob, not really sure what to do for a scanner at this point. Do you recommend that I get the Samsung 203B for that and the 215 Pioneer for a burner?

[QUOTE=velvet45;2077537]Thanks for the welcome Dragemester,
That media was purchased by me back in late 2004 or early 2005 (Jan) time frame according to the UPS box it is still in.
I am only going by the numbers (GDxxxxxx series) on the media, and that I think I remember the source (cant remember who it was) advertised it as TY DVD-R. The supplier was recommended by this site at the time as a source of genuine TY- Japan. All I know is it is very early TY, and not sure if G01 is the same as what I have but it appears that they did produce some as value- line for a short time anyway.
[/QUOTE]

No TY media has ever been “produced” as value-line. Value-line is factory seconds, close-outs and blems that is bought and sold by a 3rd-party distributer. In other words, it’s media that TY would otherwise throw away. That’s not to say it’s crap, it’s just not being sold by TY as their premium line of media is.

CDan,
I understand that Value-line is not premium, but just as a processor is graded by Intel and later graded/sold at different speeds, that does not mean it was not “produced” by the manufacturer.
I don’t see why you feel it is not a quality product. My understanding is there is really no discernible difference at the user end, and the manufacturer has tested it and moved it down a step from premium due to some very slight imperfection.
Even though it is marketed through different channels, I do not believe it is something that is otherwise “thrown away” by the manufacturer. I would be interested in knowing the source of your information.

[QUOTE=velvet45;2078540]Even though it is marketed through different channels, I do not believe it is something that is otherwise “thrown away” by the manufacturer. I would be interested in knowing the source of your information.[/QUOTE]

I have first hand experience using TYG02 Value-Line or should that be called TY Crap-Line media. :Z I can’t say how
good or bad the TY G01 Value-Line is as I’ve never had any to try out but I can say for sure that I’ll never ever, ever,
ever, buy any more TYG02 Crap-Line media again. :disagree: TY should have thrown away every one of those discs and never
let them get out to the public as they were the worst burning discs I have ever seen in my life. :eek: Well in fact my sorry
old CMC MAG M01 and a few other sorry off brand no name media burned a lot better than the Ty Crap-Line did and most
of the time the TY couldn’t even be read back on the burner that burned it and it wouldn’t finish a TRT test 90% of the time
and the 10% that did make it all the way through the TRT test really struggled to get through it with big slow downs. :a

[QUOTE=velvet45;2078540]CDan,
I understand that Value-line is not premium, but just as a processor is graded by Intel and later graded/sold at different speeds, that does not mean it was not “produced” by the manufacturer.
I don’t see why you feel it is not a quality product. My understanding is there is really no discernible difference at the user end, and the manufacturer has tested it and moved it down a step from premium due to some very slight imperfection.
Even though it is marketed through different channels, I do not believe it is something that is otherwise “thrown away” by the manufacturer. I would be interested in knowing the source of your information.[/QUOTE]The TYG01 value line may have been just clearing out slower discs and I had decent luck with TYG02 value line discs I bought. The difference between premium and value line TYG03 is/was for me greater then the difference between MCC004 and bad CMC MAG M01. I tossed over 1/3 of these TYG03 crap line discs, most had lines in the disc you could see after burning. I’d recommend Magnovox M01 before value line discs, while they scan mediocre at best I haven’t had to throw away near as many of them at least.

Wow, very few positive words about TY Value Line here so far :frowning:
Anyone else have any good experiences with it?