Taiyo Yuden stuck burning at 12x / Unbranded Ritek

Hi, this might be too noob of a question, but I just bought at 100pk of TY from www.allmediaoutlet.com and they seem to be stuck burning at 12x.

I’m using a Sony DRU-500a with the latest firmware (2.0G I think) and the drive is supposed to be able to burn at 24x

I’ve been using the drive for months now and the only other time this happened was with a batch of TDK CMC discs.

I use the latest version of Nero 6 (xxx.23 I think)

Is this just an incompatability of drive and this batch of discs? I’ve tried quite a number of discs and this seems to affect the whole bunch.

Does this affect the longevity of the data? Is this an indication of the retailer selling not so great media?

Nero infotool confirms that the discs are TY. Unfortunately I don’t have another drive to test the speed (my other drive is a 4x :))

Do you guys have any advice on so called “unbranded” Ritek/Arita media? eg: http://www.dvcentury.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=70-648-001+[FREE+SHIPPING]

Are these as good as the TDK ones?

Can’t really tell you anything about your discs unless you post the ATIP info.

Manufacturer : Taiyo Yuden
Code : 97m24s01f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 1: Long Strategy (Cyanine, AZO)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.72
703 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

Is this good enough? I got it from Nero CD-DVD speed.

This is the CD scan from nero, the FAQ’s around seem to have tools mostly for Lite-On drives only - or am I wrong? I get errors when I try to run C1 tests in nero.

I’m so getting flamed aren’t I :cop:

Sorry for babbling, it’s lack of sleep, but I’ve just gotten 2 coasters in the past 5 discs, which is just wrong.

Maybe a DMA issue, or more likely just a damn Sony burner.

Originally posted by louiskhorweiwu

Do you guys have any advice on so called “unbranded” Ritek/Arita media? eg: http://www.dvcentury.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=70-648-001+[FREE+SHIPPING]

Have you ordered those as Ritek and gotten as TY ? Hmm… :confused: Is it correct ?

The price of $26.00 even beats the one @Rima.com, which usually is $28.00.

sorry BoSkin, I got the TY from allmediaoutlet for 28, I suppose I should have put the ritek question in a different thread - it just seems to make sense to buy the riteks since they are cheaper and supposedly just as good. And that would be 26 including shipping unlike places that have TY for 28 before you pay 9 bucks for UPS Ground…

Originally posted by louiskhorweiwu

sorry BoSkin, I got the TY from allmediaoutlet for 28

it just seems to make sense to buy the riteks since they are cheaper and supposedly just as good.
And that would be 26 including shipping
Okay. That makes sense now. :smiley:

I’d advice you to order and try the Ritek out.
All the recent Riteks (97:15:17) I’ve tested are of excellent quality