Taiyo Yuden silver laquer surface wear

vbimport

Hey folks, so a while back I bought a spindle of Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs, which have been great for burning, except for one critical problem: the shiny silver thermal lacquer on the top side of the discs attracts dust and small scratches very easily. I don’t use any kind of labeling (instead, jewel case inserts), so it’s just the bare silver lacquer against the elements.

Mainly, I’m concerned about possible damage to the data. For those that have used both, do you know if the Taiyo Yuden White Inkjet printable surfaces are better about this – I’m assuming that with them, any dust is easy to wipe off (not so with the silver; any wiping is liable to make scratches), and the discs’ top sides are much harder to scratch, like with pressed DVDs. And if that’s the case, are the white inkjet discs more reliable in terms of data loss and corruption because of stuff like that?

The rock bottom question though is, can I use these silver discs to make reliable backups, occasional dust and top surface wear and all?

And one other thing. Should I get a cheap thermal printer and fill the whole disc with some color or other, to try to make them more resistant to dust and wear? It seemed like a possibility.

Thanks for any assistance.

For DVDs, the data layer is in the middle of the disc and it’s almost impossible to damage the data through the 0.6 mm polycarbonate on the top side. You could scratch your name in the top layer with a screwdriver, and it most likely wouldn’t damage your data.

Printable layer or not on the top surface makes no difference at all to the data protection on DVD media.

CDs is an entirely different matter, as the data layer has very little protection on the top, and it’s relatively easy to damage the data from the top side.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2065339]For DVDs, the data layer is in the middle of the disc and it’s almost impossible to damage the data through the 0.6 mm polycarbonate on the top side. You could scratch your name in the top layer with a screwdriver, and it most likely wouldn’t damage your data.

Printable layer or not on the top surface makes no difference at all to the data protection on DVD media.

CDs is an entirely different matter, as the data layer has very little protection on the top, and it’s relatively easy to damage the data from the top side.[/QUOTE]

Yo Drage-

Most excellent and qualified answer-eh!! :iagree:

thanks for the “Most excellent and qualified answer-eh!!” as ive just ordered anther 300 TYG02 Silver Thermal Lacquer.

troy

Many thanks for the response. In the last week I’ve been using the silver lacquer discs to make a lot of backups, which will hopefully last for a long time.

Yesterday though, I happened across a bunch of posts debating whether using markers on DVDs would eventually damage them. Some swear it does, or at least can, but that seems pretty unlikely given what DrageMester said. Any comments on this? Particularly since I was considering switching to markers for less essential backups (jewel case inserts are kind of irritating).

One last thing: so it won’t make any difference for data protection, but is there any other practical reason to buy the White Inkjet printable surface DVDs instead in the future? They at least don’t attract dust as easily, I take it.

I’ve been using Sharpies for years to put titles on my dvds. No problems to report from using them.

If you aren’t planning on using a printer with your dvds, I don’t believe there is any benefit to the inkjet printable surface, other than fingerprints and dust on the silver laquered ones.

Though I just recently learned that Yuden000 T02 is becoming hard to find in Great Britain, other than the inkjet version, so that might be an incentive to buy them. I take it you aren’t in Great Britain?

Nope, I’m in the US.

Yo-

Have also been using Sharpies for past 10 years = no ill effects to date on well over 1000 discs both cd-r and dvd eh