Taiyo Yuden media - Decrease in quality?

vbimport

G’day all,

Has anyone noticed that the latest Taiyo Yuden CDs and DVDs are nowhere near as good as identical products from, say, a couple of years back?

In the last month, I’ve purchased three separate batches of TYG02 and the quality has been significantly worse than the same type of disc purchased previously. The differences were very noticeable - written with a Pioneer BDR-202 at 4X, I would get PIF total < 20 with the old batches but I would be lucky to see PIF total < 100 with the latest batches. Also, the average jitter is about 0.5% higher with the new batches.

Is there something going on in Japan?

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;2450059]Is there something going on in Japan?[/QUOTE]

The cost-cutting pressures which resulted in a moving of some manufacturing steps (printing, packaging, bonding) to China.

…It’s difficult for me to consider total PIF <100 as anything but excellent results.
Certainly not “significantly worse” than the alternatives for media burned at 4x.

Latest burns show PI errors increasing by up to five-fold over previous batches. I have yet to see a disc with PIF < 100.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[QUOTE=CDan;2450094]…It’s difficult for me to consider total PIF <100 as anything but excellent results.[/QUOTE] Same here. :iagree:

If your Taiyo Yudens degrade like these you can complain, but if your total PIF is a two-digit number and you think that’s bad, then you are waaay too picky!

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;2450104]Latest burns show PI errors increasing by up to five-fold over previous batches. I have yet to see a disc with PIF < 100.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/QUOTE]

I’m usually pretty satisfied to see PIF totals under 500-1000. It’s all relative and makes no difference if the disc doesn’t degrade.

So you’re splitting hairs, and very few media will burn at 4x with better results, if any. Try burning them at 8x in that drive.

[QUOTE=CDan;2450236] So you’re splitting hairs, and very few media will burn at 4x with better results, if any. Try burning them at 8x in that drive.[/QUOTE]

Tried that. PI max > 50 with no spikes, PIF max > 100.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Here’s an example of the results I’ve been getting with the latest batch.

Taiyo Yuden 8X OEM Wide Printable
Written on Pioneer BDR-202 1.02 @ 4X
Scanned on LiteON LH-20A1P KL0P @ 4X

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Taiyo Yuden 8X OEM Wide Printable
Written on Pioneer BDR-202 1.08 @ 8X
Scanned on LiteON LH-20A1P KL0P @ 4X

I’ve seen better results from COUNTERFEIT TY!

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Do me a favor. Burn a couple of them with the 20A1P and then post the scans.

Here we go…

Written on LiteON LH-20A1P KL0P @ 8X
Scanned on same drive @ 4X

Still doesn’t explain the huge variations when written with my Pioneers which normally have NO problems with TYG02 even when scanned with the LiteON…

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

I once had an LG burner that suddenly developed issues with TY on a new batch of the media. Replaced the drive and there was no longer any difference between the new and old batches. I think what you’re seeing is a very slight change in dye on the media that has revealed a marginal condition in the burner’s firmware or hardware. Variation is normal in all media, TY included.