Taiyo Yuden is overrated in my opinion

vbimport

Well, tonight I went and bought a cakebox of 50 Fuji Taiyo Yudens 48x rated in the normal older non-colored tops based on the glowing reviews of this media… It is good media. But it’s not the best.

Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Cyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 24s 01f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 72f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Taiyoyuden,DX Dye
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 52X

I have saved all my results as PNGs but to save bandwidth I thought I’d type them in. 703 meg images. All reads at MAX speed. All burns done on 52246S 6S0F writer.

52x- write failure, disc was on top of cakebox.

52x try 2- this was after 2 more burns
C1 Max=15 Total=5179 Avg=1.226
C2 Max=26 Total=26 Avg=0.006

48x- smart burn activated at the very end of the disc since I saw a yellow light go on. Didn’t bother with another try.
C1 Max=12 Total=2525 Avg=0.596

40x-
C1 Max=7 Total=740 Avg=0.175

32x-
C1 Max=7 Total=775 Avg=0.183

24x-
C1 Max=8 Total=1097 Avg=0.259

We can see here why rdgrimes recommends 40x as a write speed. It is the sweet spot with this media on this writer with this firmware.

Now as to my statement why I think it’s overrated. Well, my two experiments previously on two other cds with the exact same image:

Verbatim 48x rated burned at 52x-
C1 Max=17 Total=1685 Avg=0.403

Liteon (Ritek TG) burned at 52x-
C1 Max=18 Total=1275 Avg=0.307
C2 Max=1 Total=2 Avg=0.000

Given that the average of both the Verbatim (Super Azo) and the Liteon (Ritek TG Phthalocyanine) are BOTH lower at 52x than the cyanine Taiyo Yudens were at 48x one can easily postulate that at lower speeds both those mediadyes will get better results in comparison with TY’s DX. Smartburn wasn’t required for either of those also.

And there you have it.

IMHO, burning any media at 52x is risky. The lowest error rate I’ve ever seen is on Ritek TG (TDK) media. But I burn all media at 40x, not just TY. It’s the sweet spot for all high-speed media on the LiteOn. The thing with TY is consistancy and reliability, none of the others have the same degree of consistancy. When you buy TY you know where it was made and you know how it will perform. Given the choice, I’ll buy TY every time.

I think TY is over-rated. It is good, but not great. It worked great with my LTR-48125W. It works Good with my Aopen burner and my Plextor Burner. For the price, when getting them on sale, it can’t be beat. I personally like Verbatim though, they cost more, but they are of higher quality.

i burn all my fujis at 52x (both silver and color-swirl tops) and my C1 avg doesn’t get much higher than maybe 0.150. here’s a scan of a blue top read at full speed.

for me, they’re definitely not overrated.

Originally posted by aviationwiz
I personally like Verbatim though, they cost more, but they are of higher quality.

Mind showing some proofs to back that statement up?

If you ask me, Fuji/TYs are as good as TDK/Riteks, the only two brands of CDRs I buy. In terms of CDRWs, Maxell and Verbatim 650MB are both excellent. I think I posted some KProbes in the media quality thread… I’ll post some more later.

I burn at 48x max w/ 52246S 6S0D.

Mind showing some proofs to back that statement up?

You’ll never see that, cause it ain’t so. Just check the Verbatim 48x tests in the 48x thread. When they’re good, they’re good. When they’re bad they really suck.

All of these tests were burned at 52x on the Plextor Premium (PoweRec enabled) Scanned on the Plextor Premium at 24x.

http://tasman.lrehosting.com/test.htm

While the C1 Max was higher on the Verbatim, the Total and Average was much lower. Not to mention that the Verbatim PoweRec speed was 52x. The Fuji TY 48x PoweRec speed was only 40x.

Sorry, I can’t remember the PoweRec speed of the TDK, and Memorex tests. I do know that one was 32x and that two of them were 40x.

Those “tests” have no particular meaning, given that the results fall mostly into the normal variation. Also given the different burn speeds. You can run the same disc over and over and see similar variations. Burn them all at the same speed and report back.

My Taiyo Yuden 48x have a Power Rec Limit of 52x.

PoweRec automatically changes the speed as the burn is going to conserve quality. That means that the drive found NOTHING wrong with the Verbaitm disks, and allowed them to continue up to 52x. It did find something wrong with the TY disks, and, for the sake of the quality of the burn, clocked down the speed.

Also, these media tests entirely, do not mean anything, as it is how the burner likes the disk that depicts the results. That test is completely valid for anyone wondering what disks to get for the Premium, or, Plextor drives in general.

This shows nothing about how other drives like the disks, like, Benq, MSI, and Lite-On.

SmartBurn does much the same thing, though perhaps not as elegantly. I’ve found 6S0F to be less tolerant of media than 6S0D, and it slows the TY a bit earlier. It’s why I burn at 40x, as it’s usually a shorter, (or equal), burn time than 48x or 52x.

Check out my results:

If you wish to test media, you need to burn a full 700MB for it to be meaningful, otherwise it’s not getting up to speed.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
IMHO, burning any media at 52x is risky. The lowest error rate I’ve ever seen is on Ritek TG (TDK) media. But I burn all media at 40x, not just TY. It’s the sweet spot for all high-speed media on the LiteOn. The thing with TY is consistancy and reliability, none of the others have the same degree of consistancy. When you buy TY you know where it was made and you know how it will perform. Given the choice, I’ll buy TY every time.

I feel the same about CD-R media. It’s not that I believe TY media are perfect or even nearly so but I cannot trust most other brand names. It gives me more peace of mind.

Originally posted by Kenshin

It gives me more peace of mind.
Doesn’t SKC give you the same peace of mind ? :bigsmile:

I’ve had several writers for many years, I’ve used many brands of CD-R discs…

For me TY have been the only brand to work near 100% good in all tested drives.

Verbatim? Some writers don’t like them (like the old philips and acer 8X to 16X writers) and the quality vary to much.

For me TY is a warranty for a good burn when written at the speed they are certified for…

So I can’t agree that TY is overrated.

If I’ve the time I’ll do a media/drive compatibility test later this year.

Let’s see who the real winner is…

There is many candidates where TY, Verbatim and ritek is only some…

To name a few others: Fujifilm(made by fujifilm), TDK(made by TDK), mmore(moser baer india), Samsung(plasmon), Prodisc.

The fujifilm and TDK discs is very promising so far :wink:

Lately, RiTEK TG (TDK 48x-52x) has been exceeding the quality of TY on my LiteOn and Asus drives, but only at “optimal” speeds(usually 40x). At 48x to 52x, it’s still a crap-shoot on any drive with any media IMHO. But the lowest total C1 count I’ve seen on any media was on RiTEK. I would point out though, that the differences are insignificant in most cases, as long as you burn at that “optimal” speed.

Originally posted by OC-Freak

To name a few others: Fujifilm(made by fujifilm), mmore(moser baer india)
Well, Fujifilm is okay media, yet nothing special ( see scan ).
As for MMORE ( Moser Baer )…how can I put it ? :confused: .
I can hardly believe if I ever buy it again.

ATIP: 97m 26s 45f
Disc Manufacturer: FUJI Photo Film Co., Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)

MMORE :

ATIP: 97m 17s 06f
Disc Manufacturer: Moser Baer India Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Right now ritek may be better.

But since my first writer and my first CD-R disk TY have averaged way better than ritek when it comes to quality and reliability.

Many types of ritek discs totally sucked… remember some cyanine and some series of ritek that did not work well in any drives, I’ve never experienced things like that with TY.

Originally posted by OC-Freak

Right now ritek may be better.

Way better and getting closer to the TY quality. Examples are now available @this forum and around.

E.g. just compare AZImmortal’s graph ( above ) to mine :