Taiyo Yuden is not available, what else should I buy?

There is no way to buy Taiyo Yuden in Slovenia. OK, I could order from UK for example, but I really don’t want to pay 20€ delivery costs per 50-pack spindle :rolleyes:

So now I buy Verbatim DVDs (if i’m lucky I can get made in Taiwan or China, but we have mostly Made in India).

But which CD-Rs should I buy? Ritek, CMC, Prodisc, Plasmon? Are Verbatim branded CD-Rs (for example made by CMC) better than when branded under another name?

I’m a DJ and I burn a lot of CD-R (with legal MP3 of course) and I can’t afford errors, skips etc.

Thank you very much!

[QUOTE=dj-test;2224903]There is no way to buy Taiyo Yuden in Slovenia. OK, I could order from UK for example, but I really don’t want to pay 20€ delivery costs per 50-pack spindle :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That’s bad, and not worth the extra 20€ .

[QUOTE=dj-test;2224903]So now I buy Verbatim DVDs (if i’m lucky I can get made in Taiwan or China, but we have mostly Made in India).[/QUOTE]

MII verbatim are very good, never had any problems with them, but those that are MIC :Z.

[QUOTE=dj-test;2224903]But which CD-Rs should I buy? Ritek, CMC, Prodisc, Plasmon? Are Verbatim branded CD-Rs (for example made by CMC) better than when branded under another name?[/QUOTE]

Ritek has some good cd’s also CMC and prodisc, i never had any problems with those, and for me verbatim are also very good, especially those that are Super AZO.

Years ago I never had any problem with Prodisc (Smartbuy branded), but they got worse about 3 years ago.

Then I bought CMC (Iomega branded, but then they changed manufacturer and got worse), then I bought Ritek (Maxell branded, but the importer stopped importing them).

Now I bought Plasmon (Hyundai branded), I think I never had them and I wanted to test them. Some of them are OK (94-95 quality index), but there are some worse in the spindle (around 85 quality index) so I’m looking for something better.

[QUOTE=dj-test;2224903]But which CD-Rs should I buy? Ritek, CMC, Prodisc, Plasmon? Are Verbatim branded CD-Rs (for example made by CMC) better than when branded under another name?[/QUOTE]

Hi dj-test,
I never had any problems with Ritek CD-Rs. Philips, Traxdata, Samsung, Ridata and Maxell branded Riteks should be very good. But I have
not experienced any problems even with media sold under the B-grade brands like Bulkpaq or Ridisc.
CMC and Prodisc’s CD-Rs can be very good (for example under the HP and ePro brand), but also very mediocre or bad.
Verbatims should be OK.

[QUOTE=dj-test;2224919]Now I bought Plasmon (Hyundai branded), I think I never had them and I wanted to test them. Some of them are OK (94-95 quality index), but there are some worse in the spindle (around 85 quality index) so I’m looking for something better.[/QUOTE]

:eek: Could you please post of photo of Huyndai CD-R? I would like to see its stamper code and serial numbers, because I have never seen a CD-R medium made by Infosmart (which is the owner of Hyundai brand name for data media) before. Thanks.

@dj-test what burner are you using?

[QUOTE=pepst;2224920]
CMC and Prodisc’s CD-Rs can be very good (for example under the HP and ePro brand), but also very mediocre or bad.
[/QUOTE]

I just hate that, you buy a spindle and it’s like a box of chocolate, you never know what you get…:stuck_out_tongue:

I saw Traxdata in some stores, they were also quite cheap.

[QUOTE=Bob;2224925]@dj-test what burner are you using?[/QUOTE]

I’m using Samsung GSA-E60N (E55N in external case).

[QUOTE=pepst;2224924]:eek: Could you please post of photo of Huyndai CD-R? I would like to see its stamper code and serial numbers, because I have never seen a CD-R medium made by Infosmart (which is the owner of Hyundai brand name for data media) before. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The biggest computer importer here stopped importing Maxell and apparently started importing Hyundai (they also have DVD media). They were really cheap, 8€ for 50-cake.

They have R-80-69-10-97 stamped in the record layer.

Disc info:

Nero DiscSpeed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : Plasmon
MID : 97m27s18f
Write speeds: : 10 X - 16 X - 20 X - 24 X
Capacity: : 79:59.74
: 703 MB
Extended Information
Usage : General
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - D0 00 A0 00 61 1B 12 00 4F 3B 4A 00 00 00 80 00 - …a…O;J…
0010 - 00 80 00 00 00 80 80 00 - …

[QUOTE=pepst;2224920]Hi dj-test,
I never had any problems with Ritek CD-Rs. Philips, Traxdata, Samsung, Ridata and Maxell branded Riteks should be very good. But I have
not experienced any problems even with media sold under the B-grade brands like Bulkpaq or Ridisc.
Verbatims should be OK.[/QUOTE]

I have a couple of Philips CD-R from my friend and they are CMC.

[QUOTE=dj-test;2224927]I’m using Samsung GSA-E60N (E55N in external case).[/QUOTE]

It’s an LG drive not a samsung;).

[QUOTE=dj-test;2224927]I’m using Samsung GSA-E60N (E55N in external case).[/QUOTE]

Sorry, GSA-E60N is LG…

So if TY is not available I should stick to Ritek?

The question about Verbatim was unanswered - are Verbatim branded CD-Rs better than other brands (with the same manufacturer of course)?

If you want Taiyo Yuden you might try DiskImpex in Greece

http://www.diskimpex.gr/firstlook.htm

You might be able to make a telephone order.

Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

BTW: what’s that in your signature ‘‘Prodisc (R.I.P)’’ They stopped production?

[QUOTE=dj-test;2225026]BTW: what’s that in your signature ‘‘Prodisc (R.I.P)’’ They stopped production?[/QUOTE]

Not yet, but they are in critical financial situation for more than a year.

[QUOTE=dj-test;2225026]BTW: what’s that in your signature ‘‘Prodisc (R.I.P)’’ They stopped production?[/QUOTE]It had been posted that they had left the optical media business. However they are still producing media, though they appear to be just about staying alive.

I stocked up on some the goodies (like their coloured CDs) not long ago, just in case.

I remember now our importer for Smartbuy saying, that they have trouble getting them (I usually bought their CD-RWs and black CDs) and I saw in one internet store ‘last pieces of Epro CDs’’.

[QUOTE=dj-test;2225520]I remember now our importer for Smartbuy saying, that they have trouble getting them (I usually bought their CD-RWs and black CDs) and I saw in one internet store ‘last pieces of Epro CDs’’.[/QUOTE]It’s possible, but for two things that make me think Prodisc is hanging on, although probably by a thin margin.

Firstly, if you look on SVP, some of the goodies I was referring to, are in stock.
http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php?sSrch=Prodisc&Submit.x=38&Submit.y=13&Submit=Search
Note the SmartBuy Perfect 10 and the Prodisc Full-Face Printable (Black Bottom) CD-R (Pack of 50). Both of these had been out of stock at some point in the last few months, but are both back in, albeit at about 10% higher cost.

Secondly, my favourite American media store, GenesysDTP also has a nice selection of Prodisc goodies:
http://www.genesysdtp.com/colored.htm
http://www.genesysdtp.com/black.htm

In addition, I contacted the owner of that shop to ask if he had heard anything about Prodisc going under, and he replied that he had heard nothing about it and had recieved all recent orders without interruption.

It is indeed possible that Prodisc left the business in August 2008 and whats left now is just stuff left in channel, held by shops and import agents etc.

As for me, I didn’t take any chances - I grabbed a bunch of these in mid-2008.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2225577]It’s possible, but for two things that make me think Prodisc is hanging on, although probably by a thin margin.

Firstly, if you look on SVP, some of the goodies I was referring to, are in stock.
http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php?sSrch=Prodisc&Submit.x=38&Submit.y=13&Submit=Search
Note the SmartBuy Perfect 10 and the Prodisc Full-Face Printable (Black Bottom) CD-R (Pack of 50). Both of these had been out of stock at some point in the last few months, but are both back in, albeit at about 10% higher cost.

Secondly, my favourite American media store, GenesysDTP also has a nice selection of Prodisc goodies:
http://www.genesysdtp.com/colored.htm
http://www.genesysdtp.com/black.htm
[/QUOTE]
Suprising, because at this moment it will be hard to get Prodisc legally in E.U. and USA.

Why is that?

BTW - I also believe that they had them on stock for months, because new designing always comes a year or year and half later to our stores.