Taiyo Yuden - is it still the best?

vbimport

Hi:

Is Taiyo Yuden DVD+R still regarded as among the best media (even “the” best !!??)

The burner is NEC-2500A if it matters.

Am planning on picking up a 50 pack of TY +R media from rima for $60
Just wanted to get the latest scoop on it before I make the buy.

Here is the <A HREF=“http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1730-50”>product link</A>

TY quality is consistent right – I don’t want to risk a “bad” batch ( like Riteks have once in a while !! ).

Thanks folks … also anyone find better deals than rima.com for TY media ?

If you’re judging by read-error rates, the 2500 will perform equally on a range of media. Even CMC will match the TY. Haven’t seen the new 8x TY yet so I can’t say about that. So as far as burn quality, CMC 4x burned at 8x or Ricoh at 8x will match the TY.
Longevity is another issue entirely, we don’t know yet about that.

Well - that’s an interesting twist !

Am only talking about TY 4X +R media right now …
Quality is important - and since I’m paying a premium on the price (compared to CMC…), it better be more long lasting :slight_smile:

But isn’t CMC’s quality dependent on the particular batch ? I’ve heard of both awesome burns and awful burns from such media :slight_smile:

So by getting TY discs am I assured of good quality media (irrespective of a batch) ??
I do realize that the final burn quality is very dependent on my hardware and setup … but the media has to be rock solid to begin with :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to reply …

I haven’t seen any varyability issues with CMC…yet. Most of those who do are using burners that aren’t as well calibrated for it as the 2500A is.
But current prices on the TY +/-R are pretty good, no reason not to go for it.

BTW, ACCA and Rima are the same company.

Cool – I’ll give the TYs a try …

Good to know that Acca and Rima are the same – I’ve had good experiences with Rima :slight_smile:

Later.

Ive seen HUGE cmc variability quality issues dont know where others are coming from saying there not. i have a post one it tale of two media codes…and others have posted too, suggest you read them. :wink:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=96500

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=49358

If you buy your cmcs from good names such as HP or Memorex brand you should be ok as all of those disks seem real good. but hence same cmc disk with just a slightly different media code and I usually get coasters from any other burner than my NEC 2500A example name brand khypermedia .

CMC 4x burned at 8x or Ricoh at 8x will match the TY.

No way on the CMC in all situations, like i said same codes like CMCF01 can vary widely in quality.

Thanks Jamos …

See :slight_smile: - I was not pulling all that info on CMC from thin air then :slight_smile:

So – do you have any issues at all with TY ?
Also is the TY media sold at Rima and Acca the “real” thing ?? – not some cheap fake or something like that - right ?

Thanks !

Tys are very reliable you wont get bad batches like you can with other media. CMC is getting better with reputable names such as memorex, Verbatim, and HP labels, but you can still get burned with CMCs as i did with khypermedia brand.

heres a memorex burned with my Liteon812 as you can see this is a very good burn, but as RDG said the jurys still out on the longetivity of these disks. :iagree:

burned at 4x with liteon812

Jamos:

Yeah - that’s a really good burn :slight_smile:

Next on my wishlist: Liteon or other MTK based drive to do PI/PO analysis…
or pray for someone to release a similar tool for the 2500A !

Thanks - am putting in my order today :slight_smile:

OK - I got my order of Taiyo Yuden’s – burnt about 10 of them - they are awesome.

Here is the media code of what I got

0000 : a1 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00  00 26 05 3f 00 00 00 00   .........&.?....
0010 : 00 00 01 59 55 44 45 4e  30 30 30 54 30 31 01 38   ...YUDEN000T01.8
0020 : 23 54 37 10 02 4e 72 02  9c 63 16 16 0b 0b 0a 0a   #T7..Nr..c......
0030 : 01 19 1b 0b 0b 0e 0f 01  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
0040 : 01 00 38 38 02 2c 63 20  08 30 22 10 00 20 20 01   ..88.,c .0"..  .

Just go with Verbatim 4x DVD+R at www.buy.com. They’re going for $58.64 with free shipping (for anything that’s over $25).