Taiyo Yuden in Melbourne (Australia)?

Does anybody know where in Melbourne Taiyo Yuden CDRs can be purchased?

Thanks!

Try the online shop www.thediscshop.com.au

Thx! :slight_smile:

I just checked it out… it’s kinda expensive though… $42AUD for a 50 tub… and plus delivery…

are there any others?

thx! :slight_smile:

you mean $35+ delivery

try one of the swapmeets

so the $35 ones are also TY (the CDS-TAY-50T - That’s CD-R 50 Tub 700MB Gold) ??? it didn’t specify… so i wasn’t sure… …

but even then, $35 + delivery, that’s still a bit expensive… :o :o

what about the normal stores?

Jazper, in the swapmeets, are the TYs labelled under the same brand (That’s CDR) or do they come under different names?

thx in advance! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by jacwo
[B]so the $35 ones are also TY (the CDS-TAY-50T - That’s CD-R 50 Tub 700MB Gold) ??? it didn’t specify… so i wasn’t sure… …

but even then, $35 + delivery, that’s still a bit expensive… :o :o

what about the normal stores?

Jazper, in the swapmeets, are the TYs labelled under the same brand (That’s CDR) or do they come under different names?

thx in advance! :slight_smile: [/B]

well… I dunno about swapmeets, I haven’t looked for TY specifically, I use X-Media which are basically prodisc clones (blue label, silver disc) and cost $26 for 50 on a spindle (they are cheap media that burn at 48x no problem, and are certified for 40x)

Same goes for GAT 32x gold media… (at about the same cost)

Even burnt music cds(on these discs) with my lite-on at 48x and no cd player I’ve tried them in has complained.

As for whether the mentioned discs are actual TY’s my answer is probably, based on the rest of what’s been said in this forum (TY are the only brand with the “spinner” thing on the top - according to the forum)
(edit)
p.s. The “TAY” in the serial no may have something to do with it aswell

(/edit)

well I looked at the box hill swapmeet today and couldn’t find any TYs, strangely enough

mitsumi (700 mb) were $36 for 50 (within $1 tolerance from store to store)

Kodak silver/gold (700mb) were about $35

and Kodak PURE gold were $50 (50 spindle)

based on those prices, the TYs for $35 are about average.

The X-media (which are C grade discs in comparison) were $26 for 50

I looked for TYs at the Ivanhoe swap meet, but didn’t find any. :frowning: No Fuji, no That’s. Nothing made in Japan…

Actually, couldn’t find spindles of any “decent” CDs, so ended up buying a few clunky boxes with those clunkier jewel cases (which I’ll use to make some sort of abstract sculpture one day).
Most CDs were around the $1 mark each - the Verbatim, Kodak, Mitsui, Sony. Bought a couple of “Melody” 99 min CDs (made by CMC!), so we’ll see how they go.

hmmm interesting… thx for more info guys! :slight_smile:

we should keep this thread going for all the Aussies in melbourne! :slight_smile:

anyway, yeah i don’t mind paying $35 for good quality stuff, but probably not with the added delivery cost on top though…

hey Jazper, since Mitsumi’s are comparable in quality (?) to the TYs, may be that’s the way to go :slight_smile: esp. if u can get them in swap-meets, that should be easy enough :wink:

so are they branded under different names?

i know u can get Ricohs 700mb 24x for $25 (50 spindle) @ swapmeets… and they are manufactured by Ricohs too (the white color ones) … but i will probably pay more for the Mitsumi/Kodak ones nxt time though… (if i can find them easily @ swap-meets that is…)

well mitsumi’s are rated at 1-8x but in testing they’ve been burnt fine at higher speeds. And no, they’re not branded as anything else

Originally posted by Nick T
[B]I looked for TYs at the Ivanhoe swap meet, but didn’t find any. :frowning: No Fuji, no That’s. Nothing made in Japan…

Actually, couldn’t find spindles of any “decent” CDs, so ended up buying a few clunky boxes with those clunkier jewel cases (which I’ll use to make some sort of abstract sculpture one day).
Most CDs were around the $1 mark each - the Verbatim, Kodak, Mitsui, Sony. Bought a couple of “Melody” 99 min CDs (made by CMC!), so we’ll see how they go. [/B]

Melody CD-R’s are quite frankly the worst CD-R’s ive seen in my life. Postech-made “Light Blue” ones just … i won’t even begin to state how bad they are.
Even the CMC-made “Diamond Black” ones are slightly better (although still pretty shoddy!)

I only got a couple of the Melody CDs just to experience 99 min media, and didn’t had any problems burning (got some yellow sectors, though).
Strangely enough, the first time I noticed a red sector on a CD scanned with scandisk was on a Mistui CD I bought on the same day. Even the Verbatims are coming up with a good deal of yellow sectors.
The best CD’s I’ve tried to date are the silver TDK “certified plus” (made by Ritek) which are under $20 for a spindle of 25. Haven’t tried any of the Kodaks yet.

these Certified Plus TDKs??

so far i’ve had nothing but extreme success with these - not one bad burn whatsoever, all good 100% green burns!

Originally posted by Jazper
well mitsumi’s are rated at 1-8x but in testing they’ve been burnt fine at higher speeds. And no, they’re not branded as anything else

so u got these from Swap Meet? or from a shop in the city? (someone mentioned a shop in the city called Pulsars)

[B]

so u got these from Swap Meet? or from a shop in the city? (someone mentioned a shop in the city called Pulsars) [/B]

Yeah, you can get mitsui golds at Pulsar (it’s at the top of the escalator on the north-west corner of Bourke & Elizabeth Streets).
They’ve got them boxed in cases and in rolls of 50, both for 74 min and 80 min.

The 74 min ones have no speed rating but nero burns them at 16x max while on my 24102B clonecd, fireburner, blindwrite (well, actually every other burning proggie burns them happily without errors at 24x which is the max speed of my writer.) The 80 min ones are rated for 24x but I don’t doubt that you’d be able to burn them successfully at higher speeds.

these Certified Plus TDKs??

Yes, KyRoWire, those are the TDKs I’ve had most luck with.

:cool:

Originally posted by Nick T
[B]

Yes, KyRoWire, those are the TDKs I’ve had most luck with.

:cool: [/B]

I agree that these are great quality cds but where do you get them? I bought a tub of 25 at jb hifi a few months ago (sold as plain tdk for data silvers) but I haven’t seen them sold as such since.

hey philamber, thx for the info! :slight_smile:

so how much are those Mitsui golds? in particular, how much for a roll of 50, 700mb 80min??

so how much are those Mitsui golds? in particular, how much for a roll of 50, 700mb 80min??

I think about $37 or $38 au but not sure. Definitely less than $40 au though. :slight_smile:

thx for that!

btw, has anyone been to this store? it’s in Richmond (Melbourne)
seems like their prices are quite cheap, i just don’t know whether they actually sell TYs (as another brand)… anyone got any ideas?
(p.s. I have no relations to this store whatsoever… just posting the info they sent me via email)
i am interested in that “A Grade Medium” and the “White Printable 80Min 100Spindle” they are advertising… i wonder who the manufacturers are for those…