Taiyo Yuden DVD-R x8 Media not Compatible with Philips DVP3962?

vbimport

Hey guys,

Well I’m having a few issues with my current DVD player playing Taiyo Yuden x8’s

DVD Player: Philips DVP3962 (has the latest firmware)
DVD-Rs: Taiyo Yuden x8 TYG02 (found via DVD Identifier) (Purchased from Supermediastore.com)

Problem: On every disc that I’ve played from my new TY discs they are giving me issues on the DVD player. In a particular time in the movie the DVD just starts to freeze up, it plays perfectly up to that point then…BAM…issues. It happens for a while and then it can come back to normal (if I say switch to the next chapter or 2 in the movie). But it will happen again.

I don’t think it’s my media (as it plays just fine on my computer). I don’t think that it’s my burning process because I have burned ~100 DVDs that were Mitsubishi DVD-R’s which have played flawlessly.

My Process:
DVD Rip to Rip DVD’s
DVD Shrink to Shrink them
DVD Nero Burning Rom (Nero 8) to Burn

If any one can give me any insight to this I would appreciate it.

Also, I bought this player at Walmart about 25 days ago, so I can still return it (and probably will).

This seems to be a good product (at a great price), but I don’t know whether or not it will fix the issues (it’s still a Phillips after all) Philips DVP5990/37B:
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=419077EAEF11009F00000000828BD472479FEAC62D81018700000000828BD6F6&productarea=419077EAEF11009F00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET&AID=10303851&PID=1225267&SID=u378478t935861f9fp0c0s626

Thanks in advanced!

Well, what type of dvd writer are you using, what speed are you burning at. Do these discs work in another stand alone dvd player?

Hi and welcome. :slight_smile:

As said above, don’t think there is a DVD player issue.

What program are you using to backup this movie (whats the title of movie). Is the layer braik point set correctly.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2134747]Well, what type of dvd writer are you using, what speed are you burning at. Do these discs work in another stand alone dvd player?[/QUOTE]

I’m honestly not sure what my writer is. It’s a built in dell burner for an inspiron 1420. (Is there any way to check?) For most of the current DVDs I burned them at x6-8 speed, but I also burned 1 or 2 with x2 speed and encountered the same problems.

The player I have referring to is a standalone dvd player, hooked up directly to my TV. I just tried these discs on my old Proton (CRAPPY) DVD player and they too have issues with them. But it also had issues with the Mitsubishis (which was why I bought the Philips Player in the first place).

Pinto- The programs I’m using are:
DVD Rip to Rip DVD’s

Some of the titles have been House (Season 3), and Risky Business. I’m not sure what the layer braik point is…but I would assume it’s the point where you set the amount of data being put on the DVD…if so I shrink the DVD’s with DVD shrink so they will fit on the DVD (I haven’t had 1 problem with the Mitsubishis using this process). Also, Risky Business was a single-layer DVD, so it didn’t require me to compress it at all…meaning that it shouldn’t be the compression.

Thanks to all who help.

[QUOTE=rockfan0005;2135138] I’m not sure what the layer braik point is…[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t worry about it since you’re using single-layer media. :slight_smile:

It may sound odd, but I have heard of a Philips machine having trouble with TY media before - a few years back, TYG01 wouldn’t play on my ex-boyfriend’s Philips (can’t remember the model offhand, sorry) - he had to reburn them all to another brand/manufacturer of DVD-R :eek:

However, things have moved on since then and hopefully your issue is a bit easier to solve :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard of DVD Rip for ripping. Perhaps it might be worth trying another program to rip, like the free DVDFab HDDecrypter? You can then use Shrink/Nero afterwards as usual to shrink/burn :slight_smile:

BTW - welcome to CDFreaks!

Actually sorry guys I don’t know what I was thinking…DVD rip… I ment DVD Decrypter…

[QUOTE=rockfan0005;2135138]I’m honestly not sure what my writer is. It’s a built in dell burner for an inspiron 1420.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that explains it. You’re using a laptop burner. Laptop burners are the worst DVD burners on the planet.

Anyway, according to my research, you have one of four burners in your machine:

(1) LG GSA-T21N
(2) Lite-On DS-8W1P
(3) Pioneer DR-K17Y
(4) Samsung TS-L632D

You need to figure out which. Look under the control panel and then the device manager to see if it gives any clues. Once you figure that out, a firmware update may help with the burning and readability of your disks.

Lastly, this quote from Francksoy is directly relevant:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2134970-post9.html

"As usual, I’ll say that I don’t share this board’s consensus about TYG02 which I find overhyped media, hype based on PIE/PIF scans in end-user drives, which are indeed almost always beautiful looking with TYG02. But professional testing doesn’t show anything specially superior with these discs. Our usual media expert Dakhaas also considers them as being overhyped on this board.

Besides, TYG02’s lower reflectivity is not an allegation. It’s a professionally measured parameter, well, a fact. Which is probably what impacts compatibility with players. I don’t do video duplication anymore, but when I did, I had consistently lower standalone compatibility (i.e. more returns) with TYG02 than with MCC02 RG20."

So, the idea that your player would have problems with TYG02 is not all that farfetched. You might want to consider switching back to Verbatims.

[QUOTE=negritude;2135211]Oh, that explains it. You’re using a laptop burner. Laptop burners are the worst DVD burners on the planet.

(1) LG GSA-T21N
(2) Lite-On DS-8W1P
(3) Pioneer DR-K17Y
(4) Samsung TS-L632D

You need to figure out which. Look under the control panel and then the device manager to see if it gives any clues. Once you figure that out, a firmware update may help with the burning and readability of your disks.[/QUOTE]

According the device manager I have a PBDS DVD±RW DS-8W1P ATA Device…I didn’t realize that laptop burners were so terrible. Could this really be the issue of the playability?

Yes, very easily so. :iagree: Laptop drives usually have very poor write quality on DVDs at most speeds.

Try an external half-height [full sized] drive, if possible, or just write them with a desktop drive. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=negritude;2135211]Oh, that explains it. You’re using a laptop burner. Laptop burners are the worst DVD burners on the planet.

(1) LG GSA-T21N
(2) Lite-On DS-8W1P
(3) Pioneer DR-K17Y
(4) Samsung TS-L632D

You need to figure out which. Look under the control panel and then the device manager to see if it gives any clues. Once you figure that out, a firmware update may help with the burning and readability of your disks.

Lastly, this quote from Francksoy is directly relevant:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2134970-post9.html

"As usual, I’ll say that I don’t share this board’s consensus about TYG02 which I find overhyped media, hype based on PIE/PIF scans in end-user drives, which are indeed almost always beautiful looking with TYG02. But professional testing doesn’t show anything specially superior with these discs. Our usual media expert Dakhaas also considers them as being overhyped on this board.

Besides, TYG02’s lower reflectivity is not an allegation. It’s a professionally measured parameter, well, a fact. Which is probably what impacts compatibility with players. I don’t do video duplication anymore, but when I did, I had consistently lower standalone compatibility (i.e. more returns) with TYG02 than with MCC02 RG20."

So, the idea that your player would have problems with TYG02 is not all that farfetched. You might want to consider switching back to Verbatims.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all of the help. It’s too bad I spent $60 on 200 of these TYG02s thinking they were superior media…Thanks for the help!

[QUOTE=rockfan0005;2135220]According the device manager I have a PBDS DVD±RW DS-8W1P ATA Device…[/QUOTE]

Here’s a firmware update:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R190635&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=KO&deviceid=13914&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=32&fileid=261689

[QUOTE=rockfan0005;2135225]Thanks for all of the help. It’s too bad I spent $60 on 200 of these TYG02s thinking they were superior media…Thanks for the help![/QUOTE]

A big problem is that TYG02 (8x -R) is much cheaper to buy than YUDEN000 T02 (8x +R), TYG03 (16x -R), or YUDEN000 T03 (16x +R), so even though the other Taiyo Yuden MIDs are better overall (which is about more than just scans), the TYG02 is all people talk about.

99% of the deals you see online for unbranded TY media are for TYG02, so there’s a kind of inertia that pushes people to buy it without really thinking about it or comparing it to the other MIDs.

[QUOTE=negritude;2135244]Here’s a firmware update:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R190635&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=KO&deviceid=13914&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=32&fileid=261689

A big problem is that TYG02 (8x -R) is much cheaper to buy than YUDEN000 T02 (8x +R), TYG03 (16x -R), or YUDEN000 T03 (16x +R), so even though the other Taiyo Yuden MIDs are better overall (which is about more than just scans), the TYG02 is all people talk about.

99% of the deals you see online for unbranded TY media are for TYG02, so there’s a kind of inertia that pushes people to buy it without really thinking about it or comparing it to the other MIDs.[/QUOTE]

I updated the firmware and burned a new DVD…still had the problem…I have a REALLY old Mad Dog External Burner (from 2004), that I suppose I could try out…but I haven’t used it for more than reading DVDs for years.

Edit: Tried the old burner…doesn’t work. I’m going to try one of my burned TYG02 DVDs on my girfriend’s dvd player and see if it can play it smoothly (as the Proton DVD player is CRAP!) That might give me a better indication at what the problem is…

Because of its out-of-specs reflectivity, TYG02 is not the ideal media for video use in standalone players, and I’ve experienced incompatibilities like the one you mention in a handful of picky standalone players.

The thing is, these Philips players are extremely tolerant, so I’d be surprised if the media was the culprit here. IMO, but this is intuitive,

• either the player needs some cleaning
  • or your burner does a very bad job
  • or these TYG02 discs are not genuine (check they do have the GGXXXX code).

Try cleaning the player (cleaning disc) and using a different burner.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2135523]The thing is, these Philips players are extremely tolerant[/QUOTE]I just checked with a friend who owns a 3962, he has no issues with TYG02 burns. So you can rule a TYG02/3962 compatibility issue out. :slight_smile:

So check the other things I mentioned.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2135562]I just checked with a friend who owns a 3962, he has no issues with TYG02 burns. So you can rule a TYG02/3962 compatibility issue out. :slight_smile:

So check the other things I mentioned.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the help!

My girlfriends player also had problem with my burned TYG02s…so that means it’s either the media or the burner. I’m with you guys in saying it’s my burner…so I’ll go out and buy an external burner. Thanks for the help guys!

[QUOTE=rockfan0005;2134718]Hey guys,

Well I’m having a few issues with my current DVD player playing Taiyo Yuden x8’s

DVD Player: Philips DVP3962 (has the latest firmware)
DVD-Rs: Taiyo Yuden x8 TYG02 (found via DVD Identifier) (Purchased from Supermediastore.com)

Problem: On every disc that I’ve played from my new TY discs they are giving me issues on the DVD player. In a particular time in the movie the DVD just starts to freeze up, it plays perfectly up to that point then…BAM…issues. It happens for a while and then it can come back to normal (if I say switch to the next chapter or 2 in the movie). But it will happen again.

I don’t think it’s my media (as it plays just fine on my computer). I don’t think that it’s my burning process because I have burned ~100 DVDs that were Mitsubishi DVD-R’s which have played flawlessly.

My Process:
DVD Rip to Rip DVD’s

If any one can give me any insight to this I would appreciate it.

Also, I bought this player at Walmart about 25 days ago, so I can still return it (and probably will).

This seems to be a good product (at a great price), but I don’t know whether or not it will fix the issues (it’s still a Phillips after all) Philips DVP5990/37B:
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=419077EAEF11009F00000000828BD472479FEAC62D81018700000000828BD6F6&productarea=419077EAEF11009F00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET&AID=10303851&PID=1225267&SID=u378478t935861f9fp0c0s626

Thanks in advanced![/QUOTE]

I figured I would give you a warning about buying items from the Philips Outlet. First off there are no refunds at all, if the item is giving problems you have to send it back at your cost and wait 2-3 weeks for replacement/repair.

I bought a DVP5990 from the Outlet and the first one I got seemed fine, it read all of my TY Single Layer movies ok from what I could tell. I then tried a couple movies burned on Verbatim DVD+R DL media. Then that’s where the problems began! It took on average 60-100 seconds to recognize ANY movies I had burned on my Verbatim DVD+R DL media! That’s completely unacceptable to say the least. What lets me know it’s not the media, burner, etc is that I have the DVP3960 in another room and it reads those same discs within 10-15 seconds!

I called Philips about it got an RMA and sent back the DVD Player at my cost, nearly 3 weeks later I receive another one (at this point not too sure if it’s a replacement or my previous one “repaired”) and guess what? Doing the exact same thing! So it’s pretty much useless to me at this point, I refuse to pay money out of my own pocket again to ship it back to them and talking to their customer support the first time was a huge pain, for the little amount of money I paid for it ($40 shipped plus tax) it’s not worth the hassle, I’ll just take it as a lesson learned. Cheap items like DVD Players just buy them locally in case something is wrong you can take it back and exchange it easily or just get a refund. :a