Taiyo Yuden DVD-R good deal or not?

vbimport

This SEEMS like a good price, and TY is usually a no brainer. What am I missing?

http://tinyurl.com/2vw5v8

An even better deal is the 8x -R TY at Rima.

That’s $18 a 50 pack shipped, you can get better media for cheaper.

You want 16x -R media I personally prefer Verbatim and it’s on sale somewhere this week I think.

[QUOTE=lasitter;2094854]This SEEMS like a good price, and TY is usually a no brainer. What am I missing?

http://tinyurl.com/2vw5v8[/QUOTE]

[quote=lasitter;2094854]This SEEMS like a good price, and TY is usually a no brainer. What am I missing?

http://tinyurl.com/2vw5v8[/quote]
You are correct it is a good deal if you like the 16X media. I personally (it could be my bad luck) have not had great results with this media code at anything over 8X so I would rather buy the 8X TYG-02, Yuden T02 media and if needed on some burners I have it will overspeed to 12X which is fast enough for me.

It is the luck of the draw with TYG03, I have some batches that burn like crap even at 8x and others that i can burn at 20x with great quality.

Not really worth the risk for me.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2094961]You are correct it is a good deal if you like the 16X media. I personally (it could be my bad luck) have not had great results with this media code at anything over 8X so I would rather buy the 8X TYG-02, Yuden T02 media and if needed on some burners I have it will overspeed to 12X which is fast enough for me.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2094970]It is the luck of the draw with TYG03, I have some batches that burn like crap even at 8x and others that i can burn at 20x with great quality.[/QUOTE]I can’t figure out why you’d want jeopardize what is such a great brand on some media buy turning out crap on other kinds.

Sorry I don’t understand what your trying to say, can you rephrase your comment please?

thanks

[QUOTE=lasitter;2094998]I can’t figure out why you’d want jeopardize what is such a great brand on some media buy turning out crap on other kinds.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2095008]Sorry I don’t understand what your trying to say, can you rephrase your comment please? thanks[/QUOTE]

In marketing, brand loyalty is everything. Jeopardizing goodwill / brand loyalty by turning out crap in order to save a few cents, is something to be avoided.

If what I’ve read here is true, some versions / lots of TY are good and others are crap. It doesn’t make sense and should not happen.

Got it?

[quote=lasitter;2095015]In marketing, brand loyalty is everything. Jeopardizing goodwill / brand loyalty by turning out crap in order to save a few cents, is something to be avoided.

If what I’ve read here is true, some versions / lots of TY are good and others are crap. It doesn’t make sense and should not happen.

Got it?[/quote]
This is true with every media ever made, you will find inconsistant batches in all media. Ty Media is the best at avoiding this, but I have bought literally thousands of pieces of Ty media and others, and [B]in my personal opinion ,[/B] the 16X Ty media is probably the best of the 16X media but still inconsistant and for my money I will stick to the 8X Ty media.

I agree with what your saying and this is what make choosing media now days such a tough choice.

With today’s burners from the Samsung 203 and up I can’t complain at
all about the consistency of Verbatim DVD-R 16 media.

I just hope it continues with media now showing up as Made in India.

[QUOTE=lasitter;2095015]In marketing, brand loyalty is everything. Jeopardizing goodwill / brand loyalty by turning out crap in order to save a few cents, is something to be avoided.

Got it?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=CDan;2094889]An even better deal is the 8x -R TY at Rima.[/QUOTE]What are the characteristics that make the 8x a better deal than the 16x?

I’ve been happy with my MCC004 results from earlier spindles at 12x but I’ve been hearing rumblings about uneven quality recently.

So here’s the real question for me: I was paying 25 cents a disc and getting good speed / reliability out of the MCC004. What else is out there that has a reputation similar to what MCC004 had, and will do 12x for about the same price?

[QUOTE=lasitter;2095963]What are the characteristics that make the 8x a better deal than the 16x?[/QUOTE]

Besides price? Better quality media, burns better in more burners due to better firmware support.

[QUOTE=CDan;2095991]Besides price? Better quality media, burns better in more burners due to better firmware support.[/QUOTE]

Verbatim 16X +R MIT is the one.

[QUOTE=CDan;2095991]Besides price? Better quality media, burns better in more burners due to better firmware support.[/QUOTE]In this case, we’re talking about two different media from the same company. Is there really better firmware support / better media for TY at 8x than 16x? Or is it just that if you slow down to 8x your scans naturally look better?

[QUOTE=geekrule;2096069]Verbatim 16X +R MIT is the one.[/QUOTE]So who’s selling it and what markings tell you you’re getting the right stuff?

(Bump!)

quote=lasitter;2097097[/quote] Do you have a question? If not please do not bump threads.

If I got the syntax wrong, I’m sorry, but my previous two replies had gone unanswered:

“So who’s selling it and what markings tell you you’re getting the right stuff?”

and …

“In this case, we’re talking about two different media from the same company. Is there really better firmware support / better media for TY at 8x than 16x? Or is it just that if you slow down to 8x your scans naturally look better?”

If there is a section in the FAQ that addresses how to get parts of threads addressed, as opposed to just starting new threads, I would be glad for any URL that directed me to the correct section on etiquette / composition.

[quote=lasitter;2097127]If I got the syntax wrong, I’m sorry, but my previous two replies had gone unanswered:

“So who’s selling it and what markings tell you you’re getting the right stuff?”

and …

“In this case, we’re talking about two different media from the same company. Is there really better firmware support / better media for TY at 8x than 16x? Or is it just that if you slow down to 8x your scans naturally look better?”

If there is a section in the FAQ that addresses how to get parts of threads addressed, as opposed to just starting new threads, I would be glad for any URL that directed me to the correct section on etiquette / composition.[/quote]
You can buy them here
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-plus-r-4-7gb-silver-inkjet-50-disc-spindle.html
Its a matter of taste, I prefer 8X media, the extra minute or so that you save is not that important to me, I would rather use a slower speed and get a better backup, but each person has to make up his own mind. There have been many threads on this subject. Have a look in our media forum.
If you have a new subject you can start a new thread, or you can add to an existing one on the same subject. You can also use our " [B]Search Function[/B]."