Taiyo Yuden DVD product

Hello ‘pyromaniacs’! :wink:
First I am going to introduce myself: I am CookieNL and I am new in the world of burning media. My English is not so good because it is not my native language. :smiley:

I would like to burn some movies on DVD, but to begin with burning I need ‘blank’ DVDs
Everywhere on the internet they are preaching about the brand Taiyo Yuden.
But unfortunately this brand is rare to get in my country The Netherlands.

With thanks to this forum I found a German website ‘Nierle’ where they sell Taiyo Yuden DVDs.

This product:

http://www.nierle2.com/en/article/4561/DVD-R_4,7_GB_8x_Taiyo_Yuden_non_printed_in_Cakebox_100-pack.html

Mediacode: TYG02

My question to you guys is: do you recommend this product or is a other product/brand better (Verbatim?) nowadays?

Has anybody experience with this particular product? Does it belongs to the Value line or to the Premium line of Taiyo Yuden?

My burnertype build in the PC is:

NEC DVD RW ND-4571A

Thanks in forward for helping me! :iagree:

Kind regards,

CookieNL

Hi CookieNL, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

For DVD media I’d say that Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are my two favourite choices. Provided the batch of media is good, the drive is good, and I use a reasonable burning speed, I’ve never experienced an unplayable DVD using any of the following media:

Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC 004)
Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T02)

Verbatim 16x DVD-R (MCC 03RG20)
Verbatim 8x DVD-R (MCC 02RG20)

I’ve had some occasional problems with picky DVD players and Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) and a little more often with Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R (TYG03) and the same picky DVD player, so these are not my first choices for DVD movie backups (but they are great for data backups).

I’ve only rarely used Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R (TYG02) for movie DVDs, but another experienced user on this forum (Wizzu formerly known as Francksoy) has posted that in his experience TYG02 is not compatible with as many DVD players as some of the other highly regarded DVD media.

You may consider trying some Verbatim DVD media first, which is much easier to find than Taiyo Yuden.

All of these should work fine with your current DVD burner, especially if you don’t burn slower than 6x or faster than 12x (I usually burn at 8x).

Judging by the price of those TYG02 at Nierle I would guess they are premium, but I’m not sure.

Wow what a really nice reaction! :slight_smile:
Tanks a lot DrageMester. :bow:

I think I am going for the Verbatim 16x DVD-R (MCC 03RG20) type
because the DVD-R format is more compatible with DVD-players than the format DVD+R. Just to make ensure it works on different DVD-players.

My other question is about the burning speed you already mentioned.
A lot of people are saying that the best burning speed is 4x so you do not get many errors.

But you do not recommend burning slower than 6x?

So what is the right burning speed? :o

[QUOTE=CookieNL;2273287]I think I am going for the Verbatim 16x DVD-R (MCC 03RG20) type
because the DVD-R format is more compatible with DVD-players than the format DVD+R. Just to make ensure it works on different DVD-players.[/QUOTE] You can increase compatibility of DVD+R media by using a technique called BookType bitsetting. This is a way to “fool” most DVD players into thinking a DVD+R disc is really a DVD-ROM.

You can do this on your NEC ND-4571A drive by flashing it with one of the unoriginal “bitsetting” firmwares available here and then use one of several tools e.g. binflash to enable bitsetting for DVD+R media.

Using bitsetting for DVD+R makes such media approximately as compatible with old DVD players as DVD-R media; some will play DVD-R but not bitset DVD+R and some will play bitset DVD+R but not DVD-R - most will play both.

My other question is about the burning speed you already mentioned.
A lot of people are saying that the best burning speed is 4x so you do not get many errors.

But you do not recommend burning slower than 6x?

So what is the right burning speed? :o
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet - not even here at CDFreaks! :smiley:

There are very few cases where modern 16x+ DVD burners with 8/16x DVD media produce better results at 4x or 16x than at 6x/8x/12x. Such cases exist but they are the exception and not the norm.

I don’t have your drive model, but I have earlier and later NEC/Optiarc drives, and I can’t think of an example where 4x produced better results than 6x/8x with those drives and non-rewriteable media.

I suggest you forget about 4x burning unless you want to spend the time necessary to burn at several speeds and perform Disc Quality Scanning tests on the burned discs.

In most cases 8x will provide a nice balance between speed and reliability, but 12x is usually OK.

16x is too fast unless you are sure you have the best possible batches of premium media, and even then the “quality” of the burn will almost certainly be better at 12x or 8x.

In a few cases 6x can be slightly better than 8x with the NEC/Optiarc (and other) drives I have used.

Thanks for your help!
I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

I ordered Verbatim 16x DVD-R (MCC 03RG20) * 100 and downloaded
Nero DiscSpeed so I am gonna try different burning speeds.

Any more tips besides shutting of anti-virus/firewall software and screensaver while burning?

I have Nero 9. :smiley:

[QUOTE=CookieNL;2273345]Any more tips besides shutting of anti-virus/firewall software and screensaver while burning?[/QUOTE] I do NOT recommend turning off the anti-virus while burning - it’s almost never necessary and you might forget to turn it back on before using the Internet.

Turning off the firewall should NEVER be done unless you are either disconnected from all networks, or you have a hardware firewall between your computer and the internet.

There’s rarely any problem in using a computer while it’s burning a DVD at a reasonable speed, except if you start a disk intensive program such as e.g. a full virus scan or you open a file that is about to be burned.

I find the recommendations to stop using your computer and sitting perfectly still in a corner while burning to be overly cautious. :cool:

Yeah the TY’s and Verbatim are great. I’ve been buying 8 x’s TY’s and work well with all 4 players. Pan’s, Sony’s and some off brand. I did get my last 100 cake box from supermedia and about 1/3 through the stack I found about 10 disc’s that were upside down. They had alot of smuges, finger prints and hair stuck to one of them if you can believe it. Maybe they were Monday morning disc’s or the QC people were at lunch when they were wraped. But other then that I’ve had really good luck with them in fact my daughters friends like mine since the error rate is low. I now use imgburn thanks to one of the fine members here at CDF. It does help. C ya

Dont turn off your firewall ever, its the most important part of your computers security (as long as its a real software FW that covers in and out), anti virus is only needed while you are getting something new to your computer, getting/opening e-mail (the main place for virus is e-mail) going to or downloading from web sites, or opening, or running something you have got for the first time.

I dont run any real time anti virus, its not needed if you are smart about what you bring to your computer, but I do have a router/firewall/main gate box that has e-mail and some other AV scanning, think of something like the Astaro box and I dont let other people use my computers/network, I do have a box downstairs on a subnet that people can use or plug their stuff into if they feel the need.

Some screen savers can use lots of CPU and read from hard drive, so its not good to have on while burning.

I have had no problems with any TYG02 in fact I cant remember any TY media having problems with my DVD players even the older ones. But I use quite low burn speeds (4x).

I do feel that Verbatim are a better media for the newer user to DVD burning because they are much easer to get hold of and often at a better price than Taiyo Yuden.

I only ever burn 8x DVD media at 8x, 16x media usually 12x.

The only Taiyo Yuden DVD media I recommend wholeheartedly is the legendary 8x DVD+R, YUDEN000 T02. If you can’t get what you need in that, then Verbatim MCC 004 is a good fallback option.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2274822]I only ever burn 8x DVD media at 8x, 16x media usually 12x.

The only Taiyo Yuden DVD media I recommend wholeheartedly is the legendary 8x DVD+R, YUDEN000 T02. If you can’t get what you need in that, then Verbatim MCC 004 is a good fallback option.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to copy “AirPlane” it’s from the 80’s but re done in 2005. I went through about 4 disc’s and each one would just lock up and restart the movie. I used another computer and the same thing, used some dis’c I got from my son and it did the same thing. So I can say it’s not the TY’s. One of my Sony burners just stoped writing. Bummer. What I cant figure out is if the disc looks new why would it fail to burn. It plays on the DVDFab screen, I watched about 15 minutes of it. I made another copy and it still locks up and starts over. Anyone ever had that happen? I did ask them to buff it for me, I cleaned the disc after that at home. Strange:doh: