Taiyo Yuden DVD blank media

vbimport

I found this article by googling>
“I went for a little gander at JB Hi-Fi today and noticed that they had 50-packs of Verbatim Advanced Azo+ DVD-R 16X media OEM’ed by Taiyo Yuden. They’re going for $32 for a 50-pack and the usual tell-tale signs will lead you in the right direction - the That’s cakebox and “Made in Japan” on the shrink-wrap label.” This is JB HI FI in Australia. Would these be good for burning movies and are they genuine?:smiley:

Sometimes Verbatim does relabel YUDEN000T03 and TYG03 media. Should be ok, quality comparable to MCC, and genuine.

TY Verbs are usually only available in Europe. While they are of perfectly acceptable quality, they don’t scan as well as the regular TY’s.

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2527925]TY Verbs are usually only available in Europe. While they are of perfectly acceptable quality, they don’t scan as well as the regular TY’s.[/QUOTE]

Yup I agree. :slight_smile:

I’ve burned many a movie on these (when I can’t be bothered to open up a pack of MCC004 instead :p), and they’re just fine, no playback issues etc. I do burn my movies - on any MID - at 8x, though.

Arachne—

Yup I agree.

I’ve burned many a movie on these (when I can’t be bothered to open up a pack of MCC004 instead ), and they’re just fine, no playback issues etc. I do burn my movies - on any MID - at 8x, though.
Thank You all. What is best to burn movies onto, 8 x DVD+R or 8 x DVD-R and are 8 x speed discs preferable to 4 x speed discs?

jubjubbird—

TY Verbs are usually only available in Europe. While they are of perfectly acceptable quality, they don’t scan as well as the regular TY’s.

I dont understand "TY verbs-they don't scan as well as the regular TY's." Scan? Also whats the difference between TYG02 and TYG03?:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2528032]Arachne—Thank You all. What is best to burn movies onto, 8 x DVD+R or 8 x DVD-R and are 8 x speed discs preferable to 4 x speed discs?[/QUOTE]
I burn my TYs at 12x. There seems to be no quality scan difference than when burned at 8x. However, at 16x I find there is a bit of a drop off in quality.

ricoman—

I burn my TYs at 12x. There seems to be no quality scan difference than when burned at 8x. However, at 16x I find there is a bit of a drop off in quality
I use Nero Smart Start 8 but i can`t find anywhere in it to choose a burn speed. Do you know if there is a choice?:smiley:

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2528047]ricoman—I use Nero Smart Start 8 but i can`t find anywhere in it to choose a burn speed. Do you know if there is a choice?:D[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I don’t use Nero. I use CloneDVD2 and Imgburn mostly. Imgburn just burns but is widely considered the best burning software and it’s free. Just google it.

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2528032]Arachne—Thank You all. What is best to burn movies onto, 8 x DVD+R or 8 x DVD-R and are 8 x speed discs preferable to 4 x speed discs?[/QUOTE]

You can use either -R or +R, not much in it these days. :slight_smile:

If you have an older DVD player, then this might get on better with -Rs and/or +R which has been bitset to DVD-ROM (due to some older players’ compatability issues), but as I say with modern standalone players this isn’t usually an issue, so go with the first ones you see/pick up. :wink:

Regarding rated speed, i.e. the speed shown on the pack, as with all speeds of disc, you get good ones you get outstanding ones, and you get your crap/mediocre ones. Once again, use the speed of disc which floats your boat, I have 4x/8x/16x in my stash. :slight_smile:

As far as burn speed goes, I just burn at 8x 'cos with even half-decent media it’s pretty much foolproof. With decent (TY/MCC) media, 12x will, in most cases do the job just as well (of course, this is dependant on burner and firmware too).

My results even with YUDEN000 T02 (TY 8x +R) with my own NS50 drive, however, do not scan at all well…no idea about playback issues. So I burn those at 4x. First drive I’ve come across where I’ve felt the need to do that. :eek:

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2528034]jubjubbird—I dont understand "TY verbs-they don't scan as well as the regular TY's." Scan? Also whats the difference between TYG02 and TYG03?:)[/QUOTE]

TYG02 = 8x DVD-R made by Taiyo Yuden, TYG03 = 16x DVD-R made by the same. :slight_smile:

As for Disc Quality Scanning (which you can do if you own a BenQ/LiteOn drive), take a look at the Stickies in the Disc Testing Methods & Software forum. :wink:

ricoman

Re: Taiyo Yuden DVD blank media
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezalboy View Post
ricoman—I use Nero Smart Start 8 but i can`t find anywhere in it to choose a burn speed. Do you know if there is a choice?
Sorry, I don’t use Nero. I use CloneDVD2 and Imgburn mostly. Imgburn just burns but is widely considered the best burning software and it’s free. Just google it.
ricoman is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
ricoman
View Public Profile
Send a private message to ricoman
Find More Posts by ricoman
Add ricoman to Your Contacts
Unread 1 Hour Ago #10
Arachne

Quote:
Arachne—Thank You all. What is best to burn movies onto, 8 x DVD+R or 8 x DVD-R and are 8 x speed discs preferable to 4 x speed discs?
You can use either -R or +R, not much in it these days.

If you have an older DVD player, then this might get on better with -Rs and/or +R which has been bitset to DVD-ROM (due to some older players’ compatability issues), but as I say with modern standalone players this isn’t usually an issue, so go with the first ones you see/pick up.

Regarding rated speed, i.e. the speed shown on the pack, as with all speeds of disc, you get good ones you get outstanding ones, and you get your crap/mediocre ones. Once again, use the speed of disc which floats your boat, I have 4x/8x/16x in my stash.

As far as burn speed goes, I just burn at 8x 'cos with even half-decent media it’s pretty much foolproof. With decent (TY/MCC) media, 12x will, in most cases do the job just as well (of course, this is dependant on burner and firmware too).

My results even with YUDEN000 T02 (TY 8x +R) with my own NS50 drive, however, do not scan at all well…no idea about playback issues. So I burn those at 4x. First drive I’ve come across where I’ve felt the need to do that.

Quote:
jubjubbird—I dont understand "TY verbs-they don't scan as well as the regular TY's." Scan? Also whats the difference between TYG02 and TYG03?
TYG02 = 8x DVD-R made by Taiyo Yuden, TYG03 = 16x DVD-R made by the same.

As for Disc Quality Scanning (which you can do if you own a BenQ/LiteOn drive), take a look at the Stickies in the Disc Testing Methods & Software forum.
Thank You i`ll check all that out.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2528192]

TYG02 = 8x DVD-R made by Taiyo Yuden, TYG03 = 16x DVD-R made by the same. :slight_smile:

As for Disc Quality Scanning (which you can do if you own a BenQ/LiteOn drive), take a look at the Stickies in the Disc Testing Methods & Software forum. ;)[/QUOTE]

^ What she said! :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2528192]As for Disc Quality Scanning (which you can do if you own a BenQ/LiteOn drive), take a look at the Stickies in the Disc Testing Methods & Software forum. ;)[/QUOTE]Recent Optiarc or Samsung burners can also be used for disc quality scanning. While not favoured by most, they are fully sufficient for a quick glance.

BenQ and Plextor have been out of business for quite some time though.

:iagree:…that said, since I’ve never used my Sammies for scanning at all, and only use my Optiarc for CDR scanning/TRTs, I felt it best to recommend drive makes I’d personally scanned with.

Useful info for the OP though, he may have an Optiarc or Sammy ( or even a Plextor/BenQ :eek: ) stashed somewhere, or be able to get access to one. :iagree:

BenQ and Plextor have been out of business for quite some time though.

Indeed. :iagree: