Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs

I’m about to restock on some new blank cd-r disks. I’m thinking about these TY blank disks from Rima.com. Are these any good? Does TY make quality cd-r disks like they do dvd disks?

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1169&Category_Code=TY

Yes they do!

Like all other media, your drive may or may not burn these with the best quality at maximum speed. E.g. my Plextor PX-712A burns these perfectly at 48x, and my NEC 4551 can burn them at 40x but not at all at the same quality, but at 32x on the NEC they are great also.

None better, and Rima is a very reliable source.

Yo-

Suggestion - burn the Taiyo Yuden CD-R’s at 32x and you will get excellent burns-

Mike

Ok, thanks. I plan to burn at a decent speed.

One thing to note. If you plan to use the discs in the car or submit them to other forms of abuse, the TY are not the best choice. Cyanine dye is a bit more prone to fail under hot conditions. For the car, I find that Ritek is more dependable over the long term. For the home library, it’s TY all the way.

I second that :iagree: - BTW Cynanine dyes are also more prone to light-induced degradation.

TY CDRs, if stored properly, are likely to outlast many other discs (my first ones are from 1997 and are just as new :cool: ), but for “abuse” uses, better choose Phtalocyanine-based media as rdgrimes states above. But don’t expect any media to last fo very long under strong light and heat. For Ritek-made CDRs, I recommend the Maxell-branded CDRs.

Newegg.com also has a decent price for Ritek CDRs, usually $15-$17 delivered for 100. Check on weekends for the best deal.

Here’s my experience with TY’s…

While I am by far no expert on CD-Rs but I’ve been using rima.com’s TY’s white hub printable cd-rs for the past four years. I live in Arizona with the extreme temperatures and I have over 100 cd-rs that I keep in the car constantly.

Perhaps I’ve been lucky, but I’ve had absolutely no problems with the heat of the desert and the backroads that I frequently travel on. I also burn these at the maximum allowable. And I just keep them in the standard cd zip carrier (unzipped). I’m currently using a Clarion CD player. My Aspen player was picky on media and liked TYs, but the player has died.

So far, I have not had to replace any cds. My truck is also parked in the driveway (no garage) and the same at work (full sun). I’ve had more problems with the truck’s plastic and rubber items drying out due to the heat and sun, but the cds seem to be surviving for me. Actually, it’s surprising me, because I figured I would be reburning these frequently. The cd case is always open (unzipped) and stored behind the seat (out of the sun for the most part). A CD is generally in the player at all times.

I’ve tried other brands of CD-Rs but found that TY was the brand my CD players like the best, so I’ve always bought them.

Mileage may vary of course…

That’s a very interesting input, which shows once again the difference between theory and real-world. :slight_smile: - Cyanine-based media can be resistant if the manufacturing quality is high, like it’s the case with TY. :cool:

I’m only half-surprised that they can endure such a torture test.

This said, they probably won’t last as long as properly stored media, and another consideration is that most car CDR players will be good at “hiding” C2 errors. The cheap CDRs I keep in my car show C2 errors waaaay before I can hear any problem :wink: - and when I start hearing glitches, most of the time the errors are already too high for the CD to be properly extracted.

So scanning these CDRs would be interesting.