Taiyo Yuden buys JVC; Is changing its name to JVC Advanced Media!

vbimport

whoa!

http://www.tapeonline.com/info/taiyo-yuden-name-change-to-jvc#table

ith its purchase of JVC, Taiyo Yuden is changing its name to JVC Advanced Media. While the name and part numbers will change, the product will remain exactly the same.

Quality Stays the Same
All Taiyo Yuden DVD and CD media will still be manufactured in Japan. The facilities, materials, and methods will remain in use. The name on the packaging will change, but the product will stay the same.

A Gradual Transition
Starting with WaterShield CD and DVD media, the entire Taiyo Yuden line will slowly switch over to the new JVC packaging and model numbers. This will most likely take a few months, but you may begin receiving some JVC product now. We’ve created a detailed breakdown of new part numbers so you can familiarize yourself with the changes.

Bigger Name, More Product
With the purchase of the JVC Media Division, Taiyo Yuden will gain greater name recognition and the ability to bring more affordable dual layer and Blu-ray disc media to market.

Sorry, this is some months too late.

This “news” were already reported and posted here months ago.

This was announced long ago, but vendors are just now starting to get some of the new packaging:

Didn’t Mitsui make the same claim about their quality staying the same, back when they became MAM?

[QUOTE=~Tild;2496468]Didn’t Mitsui make the same claim about their quality staying the same, back when they became MAM?[/QUOTE]

Actually, Mitsui sold off its media division to Computer Support Italcard back in 2003. At that point the former Mitsui media manufacturing division became MAM (for Mitsui Advanced Media). When Computer Support Italcard went bankrupt in 2005, investors took over MAM-A and shut down MAM-E. The present-day incarnation of MAM is based entirely in the US (Colorado).

As for JVC, Taiyo Yuden did not purchase the entire company - but rather, that company’s blank media division.

Boy I tell you I am out 3 weeks and everything changes.

Went on line to restock and found JVC all over the place, hopefully the quality is still the same.

[QUOTE=bean55;2501953]Boy I tell you I am out 3 weeks and everything changes.

Went on line to restock and found JVC all over the place, hopefully the quality is still the same.[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard they are not up to TY’s normal standard but then I’ve also heard they are good - great so I
guess I’ll find out tomorrow I ordered 200 JVC PrintPlus! 16x DVD-R Water-Resistant White Inkjet Print
TYG03’s on the buy 1 get 1 free promotion from mediamegamall got 200 of them shipped for $50.99 or
about $25.49 per 100 I guess that’s not to awful bad for TYG03 media if it burns decent. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=getit29;2502010]I’ve heard they are not up to TY’s normal standard but then I’ve also heard they are good - great so I
guess I’ll find out tomorrow I ordered 200 JVC PrintPlus! 16x DVD-R Water-Resistant White Inkjet Print
TYG03’s on the buy 1 get 1 free promotion from mediamegamall got 200 of them shipped for $50.99 or
about $25.49 per 100 I guess that’s not to awful bad for TYG03 media if it burns decent. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
I bought the 2 for 1 JVC/TY PrintPlus TYG03 specials too from MediaSupply. Don’t want to scare you as you probably will receive different stock, but…

Not happy at all with the quality of the burns. Drive is Optiarc 7240s Highly variable Nero CD/DVD Speed disk quality scans. Can have up to several hundred to thousands of PIF’s bunched. Best total PIF’s in a 4+ GB burn is 1300, though most likely best average is 1800 PIF’s. PIE’s can be in the 200,000’s. Peaks of PIE’s at 2.3 GB to 2.5 GB on [B]every[/B] disk. I will say that Jitter is good, though, and the printing looks nice, even if you can see the orange peel surface of the printable layer.

For reference, DVD+R T02 8x Silver Lacquer burns at 8x has typical 20’s k PIE’s (or lower) and 200’s and lower PIF’s.

According to Microboards, distributor for TY in N. America, the JVC/TY PrintPlus are premium disks, not value line.

More of my experience with pics at http://club.myce.com/f58/jvc-ty-16x-dvd-r-printplus-bogo-mediamegamall-308367/

[QUOTE=bulletx;2502296]I bought the 2 for 1 JVC/TY PrintPlus TYG03 specials too from MediaSupply. Don’t want to scare you as you probably will receive different stock, but…

Not happy at all with the quality of the burns. Drive is Optiarc 7240s Highly variable Nero CD/DVD Speed disk quality scans. Can have up to several hundred to thousands of PIF’s bunched. Best total PIF’s in a 4+ GB burn is 1300, though most likely best average is 1800 PIF’s. PIE’s can be in the 200,000’s. Peaks of PIE’s at 2.3 GB to 2.5 GB on [B]every[/B] disk. I will say that Jitter is good, though, and the printing looks nice, even if you can see the orange peel surface of the printable layer.

For reference, DVD+R T02 8x Silver Lacquer burns at 8x has typical 20’s k PIE’s (or lower) and 200’s and lower PIF’s.

According to Microboards, distributor for TY in N. America, the JVC/TY PrintPlus are premium disks, not value line.

More of my experience with pics at http://club.myce.com/f58/jvc-ty-16x-dvd-r-printplus-bogo-mediamegamall-308367/[/QUOTE]

The ones I received burn and scan about like I was expecting them to do as I’ve never had TYG03
scan all that great no matter what the burner or scanner was. I’ve had TYG03 media before that
scanned a lot worse than these disc’s do but the playback and longevity were and are still great.

Yes you are correct about the way they scan but I was already expecting that from them to start
with so that was no big surprise to me. I’ve really had no problems with the TRT tests or playability
from them yet. As the old saying goes “always take scan results with a grain of salt” especially with
a 7240S as they are not the most reliably scanners around at least mine isn’t. That is why I do not rely
on scans solely to tell me if the disc is good or bad I more rely on the playability of the disc’s itself.

I’m more impressed with the way they print they look more like a silk-screened factory DVD than a DVD
that has been printed on an Inkjet printer at least to me they do. :iagree:

[QUOTE=getit29;2502415]As the old saying goes “always take scan results with a grain of salt” especially with
a 7240S as they are not the most reliably scanners around at least mine isn’t. That is why I do not rely
on scans solely to tell me if the disc is good or bad I more rely on the playability of the disc’s itself.[/QUOTE]
Except I use a BenQ 1640 for quality scans, and this drive is fairly respected for it’s accuracy in a home environment (as opposed to professional grade benchmarking equipment)

I will say that my Optiarc 7240S compares relatively well with scans from the BenQ once you understand there is a fudge factor involved. Bad scans are bad scans in either drive. And I have scanned [B]every[/B] single PrintPlus disk I’ve burned.

I agree about not relying solely on disk scanning for determining whether a disk is playable. Some in MyCE look only to a smooth Transfer Rate Test for playability. I have not had a JVC/TY PrintPlus DVD-R or CD-R not play in any of my players so far. BUT, the longevity of the data must be suspected when disk quality scans have such high PIF’s, especially those bunched together to form a solid line on the disk quality scans. That’s troublesome.

I have never had as good a result with DVD-R as I have had with DVD+R in any of my burners. Still, performance of these PrintPlus DVD-R (and a spindle of variably performing DVD-R TYG03 Silver Inkjet) are the worst disk quality scanned disks I’ve ever had from Taiyo Yuden, and may be the worst I’ve had including some really crappy TDK that was over a year old that came with an optical drive I purchased on eBay. That’s bad.

Like I said, I hope my disks are just a bad batch or a batch at the end of the life of the stamp/template pressing the disks in manufacturing, and future spindles will perform more to expectation of a TY disk. Otherwise, Taiyo Yuden is toast.

I now have better disk quality results from Verbatim DVD-R and DVD+R printable matte surface than these PrintPlus disks. This is a first for Verbatim consistently outperforming Taiyo Yuden in any of my burners. I can get Verbatims at the local store and the cost is comparable and sometime a few dollars less.

I’d rather have a better quality burned disk than a prettier one whose playability will fail much sooner. Time will tell if Taiyo Yuden is still serious about exceptional quality disks.

Here is a link to one of the 18x burn and scan results from my batch of the PrintPlus disks that I received
not as great as TYG02 or T002 or maybe Verbatim but not all that bad either. :disagree:

[QUOTE=getit29;2502603]Here is a link to one of the 18x burn and scan results from my batch of the PrintPlus disks that I received
not as great as TYG02 or T002 or maybe Verbatim but not all that bad either. :disagree:

They are good, especially for the price you paid, 2 X 100 spindles of TYG03 is only 25.00 a 100 spindle, for the water shield media that is a good price. Don’t place to much emphasis on scans , they are deceiving to a point. Thats just my opinion. I think you got a great deal.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2502826]They are good, especially for the price you paid, 2 X 100 spindles of TYG03 is only 25.00 a 100 spindle, for the water shield media that is a good price. Don’t place to much emphasis on scans , they are deceiving to a point. Thats just my opinion. I think you got a great deal.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% on not placing to much emphasis on scans the main thing I rely on
is the TRT and the playback ability of the burn. I’ve had some scans that looked
kind of bad and you’d guess the disc wouldn’t even play to start with but after a
few years of just laying around the disc’s still scan like crap but still play excellent. :iagree: :clap:

[QUOTE=getit29;2502836]I agree 100% on not placing to much emphasis on scans the main thing I rely on
is the TRT and the playback ability of the burn. I’ve had some scans that looked
kind of bad and you’d guess the disc wouldn’t even play to start with but after a
few years of just laying around the disc’s still scan like crap but still play excellent. :iagree: :clap:[/QUOTE]

I had the same experience, I remember when we couldnt get YudenT03s or TYG03s here in the USA, I thought they were going to be the cats meow but alas they are just good media, better than most others and more reliable. I would still buy them at the price you paid.