Taiyo Yuden BD-R LTH DISCONTINUED!

vbimport

I cannot believe that Taiyo Yuden discontinued their 4X LTH BD-R. Why would they do that? It was one of the most compatible discs I’ve found. And the burn quality was everything I expected from them :confused:
Anybody have any ideas? I notice that some sellers on ebay have them, but Supermediastore no longer carries them. The link says they are [EOL] which means end of life :frowning:
My BD player does not support LTH discs, and yet it would read the TY discs. No doubt because of their insanely good burn quality. The Verbatim LTH discs do not play. I sure hope TY comes out with their BD’s in the states again. I trust TY over verbatim. I’m sure I speak for millions when I say that…
I do however see that some stores have JVC LTH discs. I suspect that these are the TY dyes.

[QUOTE=omegaman7769;2601398]I cannot believe that Taiyo Yuden discontinued their 4X LTH BD-R. Why would they do that? It was one of the most compatible discs I’ve found. And the burn quality was everything I expected from them :confused:
Anybody have any ideas? I notice that some sellers on ebay have them, but Supermediastore no longer carries them. The link says they are [EOL] which means end of life :frowning:
My BD player does not support LTH discs, and yet it would read the TY discs. No doubt because of their insanely good burn quality. The Verbatim LTH discs do not play. I sure hope TY comes out with their BD’s in the states again. I trust TY over verbatim. I’m sure I speak for millions when I say that…
I do however see that some stores have JVC LTH discs. I suspect that these are the TY dyes.[/QUOTE]

There’s a good chance TY was using LTH media until they got their real BD-R production ready. LTH was much easier and cheaper to set up for manufacturers, but to get the quality TY was known for was a very difficult process for them. Even though their media was relatively more compatible than other LTH, the long lasting issues of LTH was still present, like high sensitivity to light.

When you burn something to Blu-ray you want it to last, and LTH just can’t support this because of its material. Non LTH discs like “archive for life” media by Digistor use an inorganic dye for the burn layer with a hard coat for scratch resistance. This has a very low sensitivity to light and will last much much longer! The price is incredible for these discs too because they’ve been doing them for so long.

Interesting, I didn’t realize that DVD-R’s and CD-R’s were also organic. And given I store my disks very well, I’m not too concerned. I have 5+ yr old discs that still rip at high speed, and show to be in good condition. And I’m sure within 5 yrs, there will be very large hard drives, in which I can backup my Blu-Ray archive to hard disk. Provided I don’t use Ritek media, I should be fine. Philips(optical quantum) seems to be questionable as well. I think it’s just too early for trusting this format. If I have to though, I’ll just stick with Verbatim BD-R discs. I’d like to try their 6X media. Still rather spendy :frowning:

Digistor eh? What’s their Dye’s MID? Has anybody done a comparative scan using Optidrivecontrol?

I could probably get that information, I always have digistor discs around

edit:
i’ve linked these before on this site but just to make sure the links still are accurate here’s the discs i’m talking about:
http://www.digistor.com/Blu-ray-Recordable-Media
there’s 25GB and 50GB, I actually use the 50GB more, and if you’re a fan on their facebook you get free 2day shipping thi smonth

anyway, its too bad about TY LTH, but I bet you they will have a better disc on the market before years end.

Thanks for your assistance man. I’ll likely buy some this payday. I’ll give anyone/company at least once chance :wink: Everybody deserves a shot! Besides, I’m really curious if they’re buying another companies stuff, and putting their name on it. Or if they’re producing their own. It’d be ok if it’s verbatims or another companies. I don’t frown on it. Lots of companies do it. Provided the dyes perform of course :wink:

Just bought a 25 pack of the SL’s. Unfortunately, one has to spend 50+ USD to be eligible for the 2 day free shipping :frowning:

I’d hate to buy a hundred, and find out they have the Philips dyes. Philips has always been a thorn in my side…

[QUOTE=Electrox3d;2601408]There’s a good chance TY was using LTH media until they got their real BD-R production ready. LTH was much easier and cheaper to set up for manufacturers, but to get the quality TY was known for was a very difficult process for them. Even though their media was relatively more compatible than other LTH, the long lasting issues of LTH was still present, like high sensitivity to light.

When you burn something to Blu-ray you want it to last, and LTH just can’t support this because of its material. Non LTH discs like “archive for life” media by Digistor use an inorganic dye for the burn layer with a hard coat for scratch resistance. This has a very low sensitivity to light and will last much much longer! The price is incredible for these discs too because they’ve been doing them for so long.[/QUOTE]

IMHO, I do not think they will ever produce HTL media - they have no experiences with non-dye based media and the HTL media manufacturing machinery is ultra expensive. Other manufacturers can convert their DVDRW manufacturing lines but TY would have to buy completely new lines.

Well guess what. IF they do it, I will buy LOL! TY will always have my business. Even if they’re twice the price. Though I hope not :S

[QUOTE=Electrox3d;2601417]I could probably get that information, I always have digistor discs around[/QUOTE]

I just received the SL discs. They’re CMCMAG discs. Made in Taiwan.
[I][B]MID[/B][/I] - CMCMAG-BA5-000.
Haven’t tried them yet. But I’ll likely be posting a scan in another thread tonight.

They have a blu-ish looking color. First of this type I’ve seen.