Taiyo Yuden 8X printable questions

vbimport

Hi,

I’ve recently bough a batch of 100 Taiyo Yuden Thermally Printable x 8 dvd-r discs and am wondering two things:

1. I am not going to be printing on the face of these discs. Does it mean these discs and their data have more chance of becoming damaged due to the lack of protective coating on the top of the disc when compared a disc like Verbatim

2. As these discs are x8 speed…is it better to burn at the that speed or to reduce it to x4. Can burning a disc on too low a speed cause a poor burn. IU’m using a Plextor 755 dvd writer.

Cheers guys in advance for any info

edit by Francksoy
@all: :cop: please don’t reply (anymore… :bigsmile: ) to the burning speed question here in this thread, as I’d like input centralized as much as possible in the Burning speeds thread. Thanks :slight_smile:

1. No. DVD dye is inside a ‘sandwich’ consisting of two polycarbonate discs, each 0.6 mm thick. There is 0.6 mm of hard polycarbonate plastic separating the ink-absorbing layer and the dye. Your data is safe in that respect.

However, be careful with the bottom surface, don’t get it scratched when manipulating the disc.

1. There is no need to burn 8x Tayio Yuden DVDs at 4x in PX-755(S)A. You’ll spend 15 minutes burning each disc instead of 8 minutes, and the quality is not going to be significantly different.

1. No

2. Yes, burning much slower than rated speed will actually often lower burn quality, although not always. With those discs, almost all burners will burn them great at 8x and they will probably burn very well at 4x in many burners as well. Nearly any burner will burn those so well at 8x that trying slower speeds for better quality is wasted time, IMO. There are some burners that will burn them slightly better at 4x, but the difference is very mild even in those cases.

Welcome to the forum El_nino :slight_smile:

1. Ditto… NO. :disagree:
  2. See Burning speeds.

@[B]all[/B]: :cop: please don’t reply (anymore… :bigsmile: ) to the burning speed question here, as I’d like input centralized as much as possible [B]in the Burning speeds thread[/B]. Thanks :slight_smile:

As previously mentioned there is no chance of damage.

The thermal printable TY are the most commonly available to me. They are simply a clear laqured surface that appears shiny silver.

I have some such discs with quite deep (less than 0.6mm :wink: ) scratches on the top surface from misshandling that function fine and still scan respectably.

Happy burning with your Taiyo Yudens! :slight_smile:

Cheers guys. My mind is at rest now. :clap:

Please keep the posts on topic and take moderating suggestions to PM or to a relevant thread, thanks. :slight_smile:
one post moved http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1412687#post1412687