Taiyo Yuden @ 8x not working ? =(

well i’m going to rma my drive back to newegg tomorrow for a replacement. I’ve burnt a couple of more taiyo yudens at 8x since my last post and all of them had read errors with dvdinfopro and failures with the cdspeedtest. But the odd part is that it works fine at 4x… oh well. I will keep you guys posted.

oh yea… I tried changing ide cables and switching the drive to the other ide channel of my motherboard and the problems with 8x burning still existed. They would complete successfully but produce errors.

Alright, let us know how the replacement drive performs with the TY.

I’m wondering if DVDInfoPro scans are 100% attendible…
I’ve bought some 4x FujiFilm (Taiyo Yuden TYG01) DVD-R and burned them with the NEC at 4x with 1.06 firmware (december version). All is OK, DVD 100% readable without any “skip” in any standalone DVD Player.
The Nero CD-DVD Speed graph is linear and perfect but the DVDInfoPro scans have some “problems” in the curve. This results give me the idea that DVDInfoPro scans are not 100% attendible. For a test I’ve made a scans with a RitekG04 (burned long time ago with a Sony DRU 500AX) and surprised I’ve seen that the DVDInfoPro scans are 100% perfect…
I’m a bit disbelieving at this results… and I cannot think that a 2.2 Euro Taiyo Yuden DVD-R could be worse than a < 1 Euro RitekG04!

Update*

I just received my rma replacement. The manufacture date is march 2004. So far I burnt two taiyo yudens from the same batch at 8x and both had no read errors with dvdinfopro. Sounds good!

Mp3dom,

I’ve just noticed the same problem when testing the Fuji Japan/TY CD-Rs I bought today. I wrote about 775MB of data at 32x to see how the ND-2500 liked this media.

The DVDinfo Pro Speed curve seemed very low when this disc was read by the 2500 or my Sony 140E. I was convinced that the 2500 had a poor write with this media.

But later on I tested the same disc on the same drives using Nero speed and the results looked great this time! So that left me doubting DVDinfo – at least for CD-R analysis. It has so far agreed with Nero Speed on all DVD tests.

Anyone else seen these inconsistancies?

Spydc,

That’s very good news! Hope this one lasts a long time :wink: Glad the TYs are working for you now.

Originally posted by Spydc
[B]Update*

I just received my rma replacement. The manufacture date is march 2004. So far I burnt two taiyo yudens from the same batch at 8x and both had no read errors with dvdinfopro. Sounds good! [/B]

Check the bottom of your TY media.

I had 200 blemmed Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R. Silver non printable, recieved read errors, and the Silver Injet printable had visable spots on the dye layer.

The non printables were a mixed batch, about 50% turned out having bad blocks, the other 50% just had high read errors.

I sent them directly to Taiyo Yuden, they’re going to check them to figure out were the problem is (manufact. vendor, or shipping), and ship me replacements discs.