Taiyo Yuden 100 8x DVD-R $29.99

Hey all… I know everyone loves newegg here, but I have been using supermediastore.com and love 'em… better prices… as seen here:

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-media-value-line-100pk.html

happy burning :slight_smile:

The Buk

Yo-

That is [B]Value Line[/B] media - I would much rather have the [B]Premium[/B] media for $26 plus shipping from the most reliable reseller on the internet here:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1736-100

A few pennies more can make a world of difference-eh!!

Yup, agree with bigmike on this one. Rima is much more reliable and faster at shipping than supermediastore that and you get the premium grade in the cake box versus the somewhat inconsistent value line. My value-line discs rarely ever scan as good as the premium stuff.

[QUOTE=BukowskiSoul;2206999]Hey all… I know everyone loves newegg here…[/QUOTE]

:disagree:

NewEgg’s reputation is based on the pricing, availability, and quality of their hardware.

For blank media, few people look at NewEgg first. Rima, SuperMediaStore, Meritline, Shop4Tech, and other places are where online blank media deals are mostly found, with eBay being the place to find rare and discontinued media.

Yo Jester-

And [B]you [/B]were the one who introduced me to Taiyo Yuden and Rima back in 2004-eh!! :iagree:

Glad to see some things never change. :wink:

you can get the premium for the same price
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media.html

i do agree with supermediastore having slow shipping, but i like the prices.

edit// i also like the 25 packs of Linkyo Branded TYG03 DVD-R 16x media, nice cases.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/supermediastore_2036_121538058

just a note about the DVD-R … they do seem to be picky when it comes to dust etc sticking to them vs +R versions (i never owned the +R TY myself but compared to your typical media you can notice the difference with 8x DVD-R TY with dust and stuff sticking to it worse than your typical media out there :frowning: and i was also told on these forums that the +R 8x TY dont seem to have that issue?)

but besides the dust etc issues i think it’s pretty solid media for general PC data backup… but i heard somewhere in these forums there there reflectivity is noticeably lower than usual… but i guess if you get a good price on em and take good care of em it’s probably hard to go wrong for general PC data backup.

p.s. i also got my 8x DVD-R 100pack TY from Rima.com which was recommended place to get em from a while ago in here. i paid about $42.xx out the door for mine but i got white inject hub printable ones cause they look a little more professional… http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1760-100&Category_Code=DM (seems there cheaper now $31.99 + Shipping ($7.80 for me)… which for me still comes out to around $39.79 out the door)

so @ $39.79 vs the current Verbatim on newegg.com @ $20.99 (or 19.99 for -R) out the door, the Verbatim (DVD+R) are easily the overall better discs considering price is about half-ish and quality is roughly the same… but i guess if money is no issue almost everyone in here agrees that the TY DVD+R 8x certified discs are probably the best discs money can buy (at a reasonable price. reasonable as in 50 dollars (or less) per 100 discs)

Thanks guys :slight_smile: I am still in the learning phases lol

I have not had any problems with the 200+ I have used so far… no errors or compatibility issues at all… but I will start going for the ‘better’ ones… I AM curious on the Verbatim theory though… should I ONLY use TY Premiums or are there Verbatims that I could get that are the same quality/etc… and again,… are the _R’s better overall compatibility than the +R’s? I only recently switched to _R’s based on a post in a forum here saying they were more compatible than +R’s in most DVD players (for playback)

[QUOTE=BukowskiSoul;2207858]Thanks guys :slight_smile: I am still in the learning phases lol

I have not had any problems with the 200+ I have used so far… no errors or compatibility issues at all… but I will start going for the ‘better’ ones… I AM curious on the Verbatim theory though… should I ONLY use TY Premiums or are there Verbatims that I could get that are the same quality/etc… and again,… are the _R’s better overall compatibility than the +R’s? I only recently switched to _R’s based on a post in a forum here saying they were more compatible than +R’s in most DVD players (for playback)[/QUOTE]

genuine verbatim MCC 004 dvd+r media is considered high quality media. over all compatibility should not be a problem with -R or +R media. [this was not the case in the past with older players which would only play -r disc] add the fact dvd+r can be bitset, dvd-rom booktype, then dvd+r may become more compatible.

if you are looking for the best i would recommend Premium Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R. for the savings i would recommend the verbatim either dvd+/-r, great disc and at a reasonable price.

Yo-

Have to agree with troy512 on this one-

The Verbatim 16x +R are my [B]‘go to’[/B] media for my everyday DVD backups and burns - with the 16x -R Verbatims a close second-

My [B]‘save forever/archival’[/B] DVD and CD-R burns [B]always[/B] get burned to the Taiyo Yuden 8x +R and CD-R media-eh!!

Since I still have some unopened TY’s from Sony and Fuji, I haven’t had the pleasure of ordering from Rima or Supermediastore yet.

The beauty of the Sony and Fuji TY’s was the solid feel they had and the smooth plastic top. Do the Rima TY’s have that solid feel, or was it just specially manufactured for Sony and Fuji?

I’ve noticed that since I’ve been using the new Verbatim’s, I’ve developed a hard to heal skin allergy on my hands. Soon after touching the disks, my hands start to itch and eventually become scaley. I have to wear a cellophane glove when handling them (after applying ointment)!

I’m thinking that it’s a reaction to the plastic coating. Sony and Staples’ CMC brand are using a similar cloudy plastic coating, where the old Staples 8x +R disks had a clear, mirror like top of the disk.