Taiyo Silver vs. Taiyo Black?

vbimport

Just looking for opinions on Taiyo Silver vs. Taiyo BLACK CD-R
52X Speed - 700 MBs - 80 Minutes. Or if you think there is a brand equal to or better than Taiyo let me know what you think. I don’t really want this to be another 250 post threads, because I know everybody has a different opinion. So I guess I shouldn’t have asked about “brand equal to or better than Taiyo”, but if there is a real strong opinion or any super good deals cost wise, I would like to hear about them.

Thanks for your time

Mark

IMHO any Taiyo Yuden media is good, I also have heard nothing but good things about them. They are supposed to be the best money can buy. For the media type, aren’t black CDs supposed to be for audio? I think the black CDs might be a little bit scratch resistant than regular dye CDs, although it shouldn’t make too much of a difference. I say get the cheapest TY CDs you can find, since they are priced a bit higher than most CD-Rs.

black cdrs have no advantage. they just look black, which is cool. ur talking about the underside correct? where it gets burnt. coz i have some taiyo which is green like usual on the bottom and black on the top.

let me tell u, having black on the top is THE dumbest thing ever. coz u cant write on it. your black marker would not work. maybe if you had a silver one? is there even a such thing as silver markers?

The main reason I asked is because I found the silver to be more expensive than the black and I thought that the black was supposed to be better. I didn’t realize that the black were primarily for audio (what a rookie). But is it normal for silver to be more expensive than black?

Thanks
Mark

Originally posted by tase2

Just looking for opinions on Taiyo Silver vs. Taiyo BLACK CD-R

Never seen any so called black TY. ‘Silver’ stands for those being blanks, that’s it.
The TY media always uses the same dye which is Cyanine.

CDR components & Dye characteristics

G’day all,

FYI, Taiyo Yuden does not make any black bottomed CD-R’s. However, I have seem black topped Taiyo Yuden CD-R’s being offered on eBay, so that’s probably what Tase2/Mark was referring to.

BTW, Black bottomed CD-R’s are just a gimmick - they cost more but all you get is a different colour on the recording side that does not affect burn quality on longevity. Also, they’re no better than standard silver/cyanine or silver/phthalocyanine CD-R’s for audio.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Yes terminalvelocd

I think you are correct. What I saw was black topped disks. And as cd pirate pointed out black top is stupid.

Do you think $0.35 per disk is a good price for the Taiyo Silver CD-R 52X Speed - 700 MBs - 80 Minutes?

Mark

Rima.com has TY’s for $.28 I believe, and they work fine for me.

"Do you think $0.35 per disk is a good price for the Taiyo Silver CD-R 52X Speed - 700 MBs - 80 Minutes? "

i think thats a dumb question. we are lucky here in australia to get them for less than a dollar. 0.35 per disk for the best cdr money can buy. I think if u looked in the dictionary for the meaning of “bargain” it would show some taiyo yuden at that price:bigsmile:

EDIT: let me add that we are lucky here in Oz to even find TY. so get on ur bike son!:wink:

Verbatim Pastels 50pk bought in St. Petersburg, Russia for $14 á cakebox :

Disc Type = CDR (A+)
Lead In = 97:24:01
Lead Out = 79:59:72
Nominal = 702.83MB (79m 59s 72f/LBA:359847)
Manufacturer = Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
Cur. Speed = Wrt(52X), Rd(12X)

such a poor quality result just like usual eh, boskin :wink:

Originally posted by cd pirate

such a poor quality result just like usual eh, boskin :wink:
Alas ! :sad:

Originally posted by cd pirate
[B]"Do you think $0.35 per disk is a good price for the Taiyo Silver CD-R 52X Speed - 700 MBs - 80 Minutes? "

i think thats a dumb question. we are lucky here in australia to get them for less than a dollar. 0.35 per disk for the best cdr money can buy. I think if u looked in the dictionary for the meaning of “bargain” it would show some taiyo yuden at that price:bigsmile:

EDIT: let me add that we are lucky here in Oz to even find TY. so get on ur bike son!:wink: [/B]

Nah man, we can pick up a 10-pack of TY CD-Rs at JBs or at DSE anyday…although not under $1.00 each…

If you are in Canada, check mediadepot.ca. They have silver TY at a good price.