Taiwan to launch High-Definition DVD format next month

I just posted the article Taiwan to launch High-Definition DVD format next month.

Next month a government-backed trade group in Taiwan will launch the world’s third High-Definition DVD (HD-DVD) format. This blue-light HD-DVD will increase disc capacity to an amazing size of…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4707-Taiwan-to-launch-High-Definition-DVD-format-next-month.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4707-Taiwan-to-launch-High-Definition-DVD-format-next-month.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

You would really need a High Definition TV to benefit from a HD-DVD. It looks like it will be difficult to get people to invest in this newer technology as I know some people who don’t see much difference between between the quality of VCD and DVD. Oops :wink:

There will be some palm greasin’ in the old town tonight…:7

How many different formats does this make now? :frowning:

I thought the original DVD format when double-sided would already provide 19 Gigs or so…

That’s tue, DVD18 (double sided, dual layered) can store 17GB of data. The only disadvantages are that you have to flip over the disc halfway through and the laser has to switch layers twice.

seanbyrne- “I know some people who don’t see much difference between between the quality of VCD and DVD.” Those u know must be partially blind. VCD and DVD? come on, you probably the same who cant hear the difference between CD audio and mp3 128k. anywayz, im also looking forward to HD-DVD in ANY kinda format i can get. I already own a Toshiba 57HX81 57" HDTV widescreen (BTW great set), and im so tired of the limited HDTV programming available in the U.S. And the thoughts of jumping from my pioneer 04 1x DVD-r/w to HD-DVD storage, and skipping a 4x dvd drive purchase!.. owwww wheres my jap import connection! AND! there is more than just that one disadvantage of DVD18 the_Matrix talk’d about. How bout wtf is the consumer-level equivalent version at? Nowhere… and dont expect to see it or even a single-side dual-layer DVD9 recoder and blank media. The ablitity to do a 1:1 copy of Fast and The Furious from a home pc? not until HD, baby!