Taiwan court orders Princo to pay Philips for CD-R licensing

vbimport

Jimmy Hsu, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Monday 18 August 2008]

A local court in Taiwan, on August 15, announced its judgment that Princo, a Taiwan-based maker of blank optical discs, must pay Royal Philips Electronics a total of 2.354 billion yen (US$21.1 million) for CD-R licensing. The fees are due for the period from the fourth quarter of 1997 to the fourth quarter of 1999 plus interest for delayed payment, according to Princo’s filing with the Taiwan Stock Exchange (TSE) on August 18. Princo has decided to appeal, the company stressed.

In June 1997, Princo signed a licensing agreement to pay a royalty fee of 10 yen per blank CD-R disc to Philips, Sony and Taiyo Yuden, Princo indicated. Princo later felt the rate was unreasonable and thus asked Philips to reduce the charge, but Philips declined. Princo refused to pay the royalty charges starting from the fourth quarter of 1997 and Philips, in response, terminated the licensing agreement in the first quarter of 2000 and filed with the Taiwan courts to recover payment.

Princo filed with Taiwan’s Fair Trade Commission (FTC) in 1999 accusing Philips of operating a monopoly, and the FTC judged in 2001 that Philips had violated regulations regarding price fixing and fined Philips NT$14 million (US$447,000).

Princo took FTC’s judgment as an excuse to not pay the due royalty fees, but the local court’s recent judgment accepted Philips’ argument that the FTC’s decision covered the regulation of relations between the government supervisory authority and private interest groups only, and had nothing to do with the private licensing contract between Philips and Princo.

Princo has focused on shipments of CD-R and DVD discs to retail channels in emerging markets such as Russia, China and Latin America since the dispute with Philips.

R.I.P. Princo :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Poor Princo :wink:

Another nail in the coffin. And the fines are a hefty sum. Ouch.

Thanks for the info.

It is a big pitty. Princo was finally able to make some half-decent media (even DLs) and now is practically forced to declare a bankrupt. :sad:

[QUOTE=pepst;2114179]It is a big pitty. Princo was finally able to make some half-decent media (even DLs) and now is practically forced to declare a bankrupt. :sad:[/QUOTE]

Half-Decent ?
I think you mean the decent half is that they burn ok and scan most times ok.
Stability still seems to be questionable, in case of princo.

Princo disck are fine. they last for years. i have disks older than 4 year and still readable. No problems there at all.
But they will probably go bankrupt just like other blank media companies and those who stay on the market will raise the prices.
So stock up od blank media now.

Princo wont go bankrupt lah… they still have the cash to pay philips and they plan to appealed it on higher court.

[QUOTE=memberix;2114227][B]Princo disck are fine. they last for years.[/B] i have disks older than 4 year and still readable. No problems there at all.
But they will probably go bankrupt just like other blank media companies and those who stay on the market will raise the prices.
So stock up od blank media now.[/QUOTE]

Fine for money wasting or frisbeeing, I’d say.
Check out their famous DVD-RW. :smiley:

[QUOTE=memberix;2114227]Princo disck are fine. they last for years. i have disks older than 4 year and still readable. No problems there at all.
[/QUOTE]
Count yourself lucky.

Because these are the facts.

1. I’ve seen a lot of reports of people having problems with princo disc’s going bad.
  2. Seen a lot of people in my area that have had Princo disc’s going bad over a short time.
  3. Have heard about the high ammount of returns by some store owners, because of problems.
  4. Have retrieved data of quite some princo disc’s for some people.
  5. Have seen the european test results on accelerated aging which were really bad.

However this was mostly 1x-4x stuff. Now I know the 8x media was allready much better, but then again we didn’t see much 8x princo media in western europe, because of princo royalty problems with Philips.

havent seen princo media here in the UK for a number of years! not since the days of 4x on the datawrite media! shame. Anyone know if they are still available here in the UK?

[QUOTE=tarik;2119184]havent seen princo media here in the UK for a number of years! not since the days of 4x on the datawrite media! shame. Anyone know if they are still available here in the UK?[/QUOTE]

Not by official distribution channels :bigsmile:.
Your only chance is ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-Princo-DVD-R-4x-Guaranteed-A-Grade_W0QQitemZ150165020785QQihZ005QQcategoryZ11163QQcmdZViewItem
http://global.ebay.com/gbh/viItem?ItemId=200249305948
:eek: