System WAY slower now!

so i just reinstalled my system at work the other day, and got most of the programs back on the way they WERE. Everything was running fine. I then proceeded to upgrade my Office & Outlook to the 2007 versions as well as upgrade my Photoshop 7 to CS2. Now, my system is lagging big time. I defragged and disk cleaned but it still takes forever to do even simple tasks such as changing a RGB file to Grayscale (in photoshop) and even my outlook takes forever to open and receive emails. Word and Excel seem OK, but Powerpoint is a little slower now too.

Has anyone else found that these upgraded softwares are bigger system hogs? i mean, i could undertand MAYBE photoshop taking awhile for bigger files, but this was like only 3 MB!!

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

btw, my system specs are:

Dell Dimension 4700 3GHZ
150GB & 250GB HDs
2GB Ram
GeForce6200

Thanks again

uninstall anything you might have changed… something is obviously taxing the CPU etc quite a bit.

gonna have to do a little trail and error til you find out whats causing the issues :wink:

yeah, i was afraid of that… i wanted to avoid doing that at all costs… thanks

Hi,

try Process Explorer to see, what is occupying CPU and RAM on your system.

Michael

you can just use your task manager to see whats drawing a lot of cpu time

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;1953455]so i just reinstalled my system at work the other day, and got most of the programs back on the way they WERE. Everything was running fine. I then proceeded to upgrade my Office & Outlook to the 2007 versions as well as upgrade my Photoshop 7 to CS2. Now, my system is lagging big time. I defragged and disk cleaned but it still takes forever to do even simple tasks such as changing a RGB file to Grayscale (in photoshop) and even my outlook takes forever to open and receive emails. Word and Excel seem OK, but Powerpoint is a little slower now too.

Has anyone else found that these upgraded softwares are bigger system hogs? i mean, i could undertand MAYBE photoshop taking awhile for bigger files, but this was like only 3 MB!!

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

btw, my system specs are:

Dell Dimension 4700 3GHZ
150GB & 250GB HDs
2GB Ram
GeForce6200

Thanks again[/QUOTE]

I think office and photoshop has stealth loaded something into your msconfig and startup to load at startup in your taskbar that is taxing your system resources… I used office before and it puts a office startup icon in your startup folders…but check your windows task manager to see what is running and what taxing memory resources will show there…but my suspicions are that office and photo are the calpurit…maybe sure you clean out your temp folder as well…

You can also go to msconfig and instead of it checked normal startup you can select selective startup and then check the first 3 and use original BOOT.INI and then go to the start up tab and then only check your virus scan and any other computer protection you have, you don’t need all that other stuff thats in there to run all the time :disagree::disagree::disagree:

I use Office 2007 too Disable GROOVE watching your folders.

[QUOTE=Ripperfreak;1954024]I use Office 2007 too Disable GROOVE watching your folders.[/QUOTE]

where would i disable “Groove”? i dont see it anywhere and what the hell is it?

ya know… i have a feeling it might be this “indexing” icon that is now at the bottom of my task bar… its a little magnifying glass that appeared after i had to install something for outlook, i think. that seemed to have slowed it down after.

also, i checked the task manager… my cpu usage is pretty much steady at 3-5%… so i dont think anything running is really killing my system.

i did see these tho in my processes tab that were a little curious… i dont remember seeing these before:

NMBgMonitor.exe
NMIndexingService.exe
NMIndexStoreSvr.exe

seeing the “index” on those, makes me believe they are office based or at least outlook based. they only use 10mb each tho, so i dont think thats really killing it either.

wierd… any ideas?

well, it appears that those NMfiles are all from Nero… so i killed the Monitor one by disabling Nero Scout. i guess i’ll see how it runs now.

Groove it part of Office 2007 that monitors all changes you make to your folders you inadvertently associated to it by default. If you don’t use it remove it from your start up programs. In outlook even the FHISHING FILTER also drag your system as a page won’t load until it was scanned. Disable that too.

The screen search sometimes a good thing to have but it also delay start ups. Also if you’re using Norton the start up scan can also slow down your start up time. In the end its balancing what you need to have and what you can do without that test your patience. :iagree:

well, those nero files didnt do much after disabling… i’ll try to get rid of groove next. HOW do i actually remove it tho? i cant seem to find the option. i dont use Norton, i use avast so i dont think thats the problem. i guess the next option WOULD be to uninstall those programs (PS, Office, etc). Im always afraid of uninstalling and reinstalling those microsoft programs tho. I always feel like they arent going to let me reinstall them even tho its on the same machine. i think thats my last option tho. thanks for the help!

Go to control panel>add remove programs> click on Microsoft Office 2007> Change> from here Modify components> and uncheck Groove then follow the installation process.
I think there’s an icon in the tool bar too if that is enabled. Or you can do it in the Start Up Menu just uncheck anything associated with groove. That is if you installed Groove depends what version you have. Interprise have it.

well, turns out i dont have groove afterall… probably why i couldnt find it… so, back to square one… any other suggestions?? thanks

Install “CCleaner” and thoroughly cleaned up your PC & the registry. Run again, defrag and anti virus system scan and lavasofts ad-aware.