System slows down when BURNING

I was reading at another forum that many are able to burn a DVD while doing something else…

Well I can’t seem to do that.

Even with my Sony CDR 48x, it was the same thing, slow “”"“everything”"""" when burning.

I have a Athlon XP 2600, 1 gig of RAM. Windows XP Pro.

My boot drive is on a Promise Ultra TX PC133 card, with a 2nd HD as slave, slot two (2) on the card, hold hard drive 3 (master) HD 4 slave.

My Liteonit 8X DVD Burner is set on master IDE 1 on the motherboard, DMA enabled, (only goes up to DMA 2), and I’m pretty sure that putting the burner on the control card and having the boot HD on the motherboard would make little difference as this is how the CDR set up was, and my system still came to a crawl when burning.

any suggestions?

Also, here is a snap shot of my IRQ:
Yeah, no idea why this is happening…

just checked the manual to be sure (motherboard) and AGP shares slot 1 (which is empty), and in control panel/system, I checked view devices by connection and all have their own IRQ …

I included a snap shot just in case…

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/musicxmanz/irq2.gif

Let me know what you think it could be…

thanks

also, for what it’s worth, at dvdrhelp forum, everyone for HT Intel systems to Athlon systems seem to be able to surf the net while burning, one guy can even rip one image to HD using DVD ROM while burning another, and yet another can play UNREAL…

My system and experience has always been that the system comes to a crawl when burning “anything” be it CDR or DVD.

I got same problem but my pc is alittle bit powerfull than yours. I can surf net (Just) but nothing much more.

Problem solver…er I think…

My system PCI slot 3 was sharing with on-board audio, although I had it turned off in the bios, it was still showing up in control panel/system…

I disabled it then did a test burn, was able to surf the net and play unreal 2004 demo which only stopped once for a second…

the problem though, is although it is disabled in control panel, I’m wondering if it will re-install when I reboot.

Lastly, is there a way to check a burned DVD to see if there are any errors??

My liteon impresses me more and more…

thanks

Originally posted by retroz
[B]My system PCI slot 3 was sharing with on-board audio, although I had it turned off in the bios, it was still showing up in control panel/system…

I disabled it then did a test burn, was able to surf the net and play unreal 2004 demo which only stopped once for a second…

the problem though, is although it is disabled in control panel, I’m wondering if it will re-install when I reboot.

Lastly, is there a way to check a burned DVD to see if there are any errors??
[/B]

Glad to hear that your problem is solved. Also try moving you Promise IDE to different slot, if you think it is shared IRQ issue. Generally, first PCI share IRQ with AGP, higher PCI slots (3-4) may share with different devices. I usually put PCI IDE or video capture on second PCI. It’s likely to be unshared slot.

If you say disable in control panel, it should stay disable. But if you disable in bios, i’m not sure why it still show up on windows.

Lastly:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83441#KProbe

Thanks, the Promise “is” on PCI #2, 1 is OPEN (shared with AGP-correct), and 4 is OPEN…

1 OPEN

2 Promise Card
3 Audio Card

1. OPEN

5 Network LAN card

I have them this way in order to utilize the best resources…

4 is shared with 5 but nothing in 4, 2 is shared with on-board audio which is disabled.