System Slow Down

It has been slowing down a lot. Or at least it seems like it. It won’t even load a capture box in Windows XP Movie Maker after thirty minutes.I’ve even checked in Dual Core Center and under CPU Speed it varies from 78 MHz to 5521 MHz. What is the normal tempature of a system that has my specs that I will list below? Mine is 34-38 degrees Celsius so I wanted to know I should went more fans and stuff. Here are my specs.

MSI K9AG Neo2 Digital Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz CPU
Masscool 6F688B1M3 80mm Ball CPU Cooler
Rosewill RP550 ATX 1.3 V/ EPS12V 550W Power Supply
PNY Technologies 2 GB DDR2 PC6400 RAM
Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel
Hitachi 500 GB SATA Hard Drive
Samsung 500 GB SATA Hard Drive
Lite On LH-20A1L-06 DVD Burner

If you have any ideas what my problem is, please tell me. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cluelessidiot nice name btw

Try defrag hd that files are stored in , also perform spyware / virus scan sweep

Temps for for your system seem well in range …

What about the varying of speeds in Dual Core Center?

You cpu speed varying is normal, that probably just intels speedstep kicking in. It slows down you cpu to save some power. It may make some programs a bit laggy to start but it should only be a second or two.

If you have crap on your HDD, try running ‘spybot search and destroy’ Link free

and there is also Lavasofts adaware: Link Free version.

I keep getting an “Unhandled Expception” window. And it just crashed with the blue screen a couple of minutes ago. And when I try to do an Ad Aware 2007 Scan, it just won’t go past the stage of “Waiting for scanner” Please help! Okay, after ending some processes it starting.

[QUOTE=cluelessidiot;1933661]I keep getting an “Unhandled Expception” window. And it just crashed with the blue screen a couple of minutes ago. And when I try to do an Ad Aware 2007 Scan, it just won’t go past the stage of “Waiting for scanner” Please help! Okay, after ending some processes it starting.[/QUOTE]

What O/S are you running? Also do you have a firewall or antivirus program? I would do as the other users comments get a malware program to scann to see what is happening but also make sure you have a good antivirus and see what else is there that shouldn’t be there. Once you installed the malware program start in safe mode and do a scan and see if there is a malware or virus on your system… but make sure your HDD is clean and defragged as well.

I am running Windows XP SP2. I am currently running a Ad-Aware 2007 scan and a Sybot Search and Destroy scan in safe mode so I am typing this on my laptop. And my memory is actually PC5300. Here is a list of programs running on my computer:

Ad-Aware 2007
Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0
Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2
Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Templates
Adobe Reader 8.1.1
ATI- Software Uninstall Utility
ATI Display Driver
AVG 7.5
Belarc Advisor 7.2
Belkin Wireless USB Utility
Dual Core Center
Epson Twain 5
exPressit S.E. 2.2
High Defintion Audio Driver Package-KB888111
ImgBurn (Remove Only)
i-Speeder
iTunes
Java ™ 6 Update 2
Java ™ 6 Update 3
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework Hotfix (KB928366)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
Microsft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
Microsft Word 2002
Microsft Works 2005 Setup Launcher
MSI Live Update 3
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB933579)
PasswordKeeper
PC Pitshop Optimize 1.5
Pinnacle PCI Performance Enchancer
Pinnacle USB device drivers 2
PowerDVD
Quicktime
Realtek High Defintion Audio Driver
shamrockgreen.zip
Shockwave
Spybot- Search and Destroy
SureThing CD Labeler Deluxe Trial 5
Viewpoint Media Player
Windows Defender
Windows Driver Package- Advanced Micro Devices (AmdK8) Processor (5/27/2006 1.3.2.0)
Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
Windows Internet Explorer 7
Widnows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Player 11

Another awesome free program is Hijack This . This program is easy to use, but you have to be careful not to select everything. But basically their are a lot of programs that load, that you don’t even use. You can also find junk software like toolbars and drivers that run that are essentially data loggers /spyware/.

If you want you can post a screen shot of what Hijack this finds, and we’ll help you select what to stop.

Two things I can see straight off that run stuff in the background: Quicktime, and Java runs it’s updater program all the time unless you stop it via control panel.

A personal preference would be also to ditch Adobe Reader (which also runs stuff in the background) in favour of the smaller Foxit Reader.

Do you mean they aren’t processes that can be ended?

With Quictime and Java, usually you can poke around in the program’s own settings or options to disable any auto updates or whatever.

I had to disable a load of stuff with the latest Adobe Reader and Java (mainly auto-updates) on my mum’s PC. You can usually find the Java settings in Control Panel, Adobe Reader’s settings will be within the program itself.

Been a looooong time since I used Quicktime, I try not to have it on my PC, but I believe you can also find those settings in Control Panel.

Also, if you can run HijackThis as suggested (don’t have an IE window open at the time), and post the resulting log, that would help.

I just thought that my computer would be fast enough not to have to disable stuff. Where can I download HijackThis?

With all that stuff installed, have you defragged all your HDDs as suggested?

Yeah.

It crashed with the blue screen again. Here are important texts from the first and second blue screen.

Blue Screen 1:

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x38F3003E, 0x0000000A, 0xB6E1E9F1

*** Rtenicxp.sys-Adress B6E1E9F1 base at B6E160000, Datestamp 465e76fa

Blue Screen 2:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8131E9E8, 0x00000000, 0x804F4C81, 0x00000000

Those errors are usually indicative of bad RAM, or some other fatal hardware problem. You also have a number of unnecessary drivers running, plus “PC Pitshop Optimize 1.5” which sounds like a good thing to remove forever.

“Windows Driver Package- Advanced Micro Devices (AmdK8) Processor (5/27/2006 1.3.2.0)” What is this doing on an Intel system? Just curious.

Download Memtest86, create a floppy or CD from the exe file and boot to that. Let the tests run over-night. If there are any errors, then you probably found the trouble.

Intel system? As stated above, my processor is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz? Is there any chance it is my PSU or I hope not, my CPU?

Try cleaning up as well your registry. CCleaner is a good one. Scan for Issues under Registry on the right panel. Back up items to remove if asked. See how much Crap it can find, it might help speed up your system.

The Rtenicxp.sys file is from the realtek network card drivers.

If you haven’t already, go visit the realtek site and download the latest one for your OS. That might help fix the BSOD issues.

LUK is absolutely correct . Look here. A simple google search of your problem
http://www.runscanner.net/getmd5.aspx?md5=D6E1B1BD04FAD422AF17FC4B810CB9AF&process=rtenicxp.sys