System Setup Problems

So a couple months back, i bought my first SSD. it was faulty so i had to send it back to get replaced. I got the replacement and i am finally getting around to setting my system up from scratch again but am running into a few issues. And i dont know if its because of the ssd (i dont think so) or not. Here is what is happening tho…

Here is my setup (as far as hard drives go):
1 Crucial SSD 128GB Sata2
1 WD 640GB Black Sata2
1 Maxtor 200GB IDE
1 Seagate 200GB IDE

After i install windows, my hard drives show up as USB drives. In other words, I can go to the bottom task bar and click the green arrow icon and “eject” each drive. I’ve never had this happen (EVER) and i’ve set up alot of systems before. any ideas?

I’ve also noticed that windows wants to make one of my IDEs have a separate partition on it for “system files” even tho my SSD is the drive with windows. thoughts?

I’ve also run into freezing problems when updating windows. After the initial install and the first windows update where it will find 600MB worth of updates it will get to around installing update 83 or so and will just hang. Currently i am installing little by little instead of 1 mass update session so hopefully that will take care of that. but i dont know yet.

Also, with the SSD, do I need to set my bios to ACHI (it is)? what does that do and whats the difference?

thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2705649]So a couple months back, i bought my first SSD. it was faulty so i had to send it back to get replaced. I got the replacement and i am finally getting around to setting my system up from scratch again but am running into a few issues. And i dont know if its because of the ssd (i dont think so) or not. Here is what is happening tho…

Here is my setup (as far as hard drives go):
1 Crucial SSD 128GB Sata2
1 WD 640GB Black Sata2
1 Maxtor 200GB IDE
1 Seagate 200GB IDE

After i install windows, my hard drives show up as USB drives. In other words, I can go to the bottom task bar and click the green arrow icon and “eject” each drive. I’ve never had this happen (EVER) and i’ve set up alot of systems before. any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I can only assume that you have AHCI in the bios and you probably dont have the intel or AMD drivers, install the driver that you need and this should go away.

I’ve also noticed that windows wants to make one of my IDEs have a separate partition on it for “system files” even tho my SSD is the drive with windows. thoughts?

Windows 7 usually has 100MB for system files and windows 8 has almost 350MB for that, this is automatically performed during the installation/partitioning process. No ide what windows thing it’s a good idea to have that in the IDE drive, maybe you can unplug the power connector during the install?

I’ve also run into freezing problems when updating windows. After the initial install and the first windows update where it will find 600MB worth of updates it will get to around installing update 83 or so and will just hang. Currently i am installing little by little instead of 1 mass update session so hopefully that will take care of that. but i dont know yet.

Never had this problem, so i cane be much help.

[/QUOTE]Also, with the SSD, do I need to set my bios to ACHI (it is)? what does that do and whats the difference?

thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

AHCI = Advanced Host Controller Interface, b having AHCI you should be able to have some more advanced features on your SATA drives, NCQ is one of them and the other is hot swap, that you have experienced when you said that you can eject your drives.

thanks for the thoughts. where would i find that intel driver? is that a motherboard driver or hard drive driver? Is that the RST driver? Also, do I NEED to run in AHCI mode? I’ve read that its the best for SSDs in particular but if i dont care about hot swapping my drives…does the NCQ ability really make a difference in performance? Or will IDE for bios run just as well? I’m wondering if IDE will make most of these issues go away since last time i installed my first SSD i think i installed as IDE cuz AHCI was giving me BSOD everytime I tried it. Thanks again.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2705787]thanks for the thoughts. where would i find that intel driver? is that a motherboard driver or hard drive driver? Is that the RST driver? Also, do I NEED to run in AHCI mode? I’ve read that its the best for SSDs in particular but if i dont care about hot swapping my drives…does the NCQ ability really make a difference in performance? Or will IDE for bios run just as well? I’m wondering if IDE will make most of these issues go away since last time i installed my first SSD i think i installed as IDE cuz AHCI was giving me BSOD everytime I tried it. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

If you have an intel CPU you can get them from intel or you can get them from the manufacturer of your mother board.
AHCI is the recommended way to have your SATA controller configured, but if you are having issues you can set it back on IDE mode and everything should work OK.
You can select the mode that works best for you, i never had any issues on my system with AHCI mode, if IDE mode working for you then you can choose that in your BIOS.

OK. Thanks. IS there a big difference between ahci and ide tho? ID hate to set my system up in ide only to find that I’m taking a big hit in performance down the road. Thanks again.

There shouldn’t be any serious loss in performance between IDE mode and AHCI but i haven’t run any benchmarks so i cant say much about it any possible loss in speed.

If you can have your system running at AHCI mode then do so, if not you will have live without NCQ and hot swap.

I can hardly imagine that there would NOT be performance issues using IDE mode as all the Dell computers I’ve worked on manufactured later than late 2008
have AHCI set as the default SATA controller mode from the factory…

There is an alleged performance difference for second generation SATA hard drives, and if it makes a difference on those…

I’ve also seen several different aftermarket motherboards that simply would’nt let
the native eSATA work AT ALL unless the SATA controller was set to AHCI.

Lastly if you have any plans whatsoever of upgrading your data drives past 2TB drives it is my understanding that the later versions of Intel Rapid Store
(the replacement for Intel Matrix Storage Manager) will not work outside of AHCI mode.

I know I was forced to switch my HP to AHCI (from the factory set RAID-1 Mode)
to get Rapid store to install and recognize my new 3tb HDD.

I have two other computers in my household that don’t offer AHCI mode
and all attempts to get Rapid store to work (or to get the 3TB drive recognized)
have been an exercise in frustration.

The only way those computers will work with drives larger than 2TB is with the larger drives in USB external enclosures

Basically it is my belief that AHCI mode may or may not make a real difference to your specific installation, but your needs and plans may chance and it is far more annoying to jump through the necessary “hoops” later than it is to do so now.

my hint is to remove the IDE drives from Boot in the bios setup.

OK…well everything seems to be OK now. I installed everything in ahci and ended up adding rest driver from motherboard site. Took care of the remove device part at least. And I am now totally updated with all prove. So all seems good to go. Cant tell of any performance difference but at lest its stable…for now. thnx for everyone’s help.

[QUOTE=macnavarra;2706096]my hint is to remove the IDE drives from Boot in the bios setup.[/QUOTE]

The discussion here was not about “ide drives” but about "ide MODE"
in the SATA controller settings.

Typically on recent production MotherBoards there are three Modes:
a)IDE mode
b)RAID mode
c)AHCI

You know what IDE and RAID are, AHCI is “Advanced Host Controller Interface”

and it is the recommended setting for most SSD drives as well as SATA6.0 Hard Drives to get full functionality of the drives.

Some features are disabled, even some native S.M.A.R.T. functions are disabled outside of AHCI mode.

SOME SSD drives will not operate “TRIM” correctly in IDE mode

allegedly RAID on most MoBo’s is a “Hybred” mode with some features of AHCI enabled, but unless you’ve read the fine print of your MoBo specifications (if these are actually available to you) you probably wouldn’t know.

I have a factory assembled computer (though subsequently much modified) and not all of the details of the specs are available to me to, so “just to be sure” I switched my computer to AHCI mode.