System randomly rebooting/Ghost in the machine

vbimport

Dear Freaks,
I inherited a PC from my brother in law recently.The rig setup is as follows:

Antec 180 case
PC Power and Cooling 610W supply(connected to mobo via 24 and 8 pin)
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz chip
Intel desktop motherboard DX38BT
2x2Gb Patriot 1333 DDR3 RAM
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD drive(PATA)
AMD Radeon HD6670 1Gb GDDR5 128 bit video card
2x 640Gb WD HD’s(WD6400AAKS)
Windows Home Premium 64 bit OS

The symptoms:
The computer randomly reboots. It will go for hours to days running fine and then reboot. This isn’t a new symptom, as it randomly rebooted even after my brother in law first built the system.

What I’ve tried so far:
I scanned the RAM chips with Memtest and they came out fine. I replaced the video card(an NVIDIA 9800GT). I replaced the power supply with a 650W Seasonic X650. None of those things has worked.

Any suggestions?

Additionally check the HDDs with Western Digitals diagnostic software.

Michael

Have you tried monitoring the temperature? Did you try a virus scan? Try a multi-engine scanner like Coranti (free trial here: http://www.coranti.com, will run for a long time!)

The random reboots happened after the drives were wiped and I installed Windows 7 on them. So I doubt its a virus.

I put a Hyper 212 Plus on the chip and use core temp and speed temp to monitor CPU temps. THey don’t get over 60oC at full load. The graphics cards also stays cool, especially since I crank the fan speed up.

And you might swap memory sticks around - there are probably 2 or 4? Swap #1 stick into #2 slot, and vice versa, see if it’s a re-seating issue, too. I think “Heat” is the most likely issue, although I’m not sure a CPU would be hot enough to shutdown and then immediately cool enough to allow a restart.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2656918]
The symptoms:
The computer randomly reboots. It will go for hours to days running fine and then reboot. This isn’t a new symptom, as it randomly rebooted even after my brother in law first built the system.

What I’ve tried so far:
I scanned the RAM chips with Memtest and they came out fine. I replaced the video card(an NVIDIA 9800GT). I replaced the power supply with a 650W Seasonic X650. None of those things has worked.

The random reboots happened after the drives were wiped and I installed Windows 7 on them. So I doubt its a virus.

I put a Hyper 212 Plus on the chip and use core temp and speed temp to monitor CPU temps. THey don’t get over 60oC at full load. The graphics cards also stays cool, especially since I crank the fan speed up.
[/QUOTE]

The Reboots happen because the System in not stable, there is a Hardware problem or the CPU is not installed properly. Have you Reseated the Processor, and made sure the Thermal Paste and Cooling Fan is installed correctly? I think you have to go back to basics and pull everything off and then just run the System with the bare minimums, Processor, Memory, and Graphics. Let it run check it all out and see if no Reboots. Then you can start adding the Hardware and see when the Reboots start. I have a hunch it’s in the basic set up. :cool:

I haven’t reseated the CPU itself. But when I put the Hyper 212 in to replace the stock Arctic 7 cooler, I did remove and replace the thermal paste. And I keep track of the CPU temps. Like I said, nothing over 60oC at 100% load.

Where to Pc has done it all along you might check the Motherboards site and see if the Bios is up to date and all your Mobo drivers Just a thought.

You should take a few minutes and check for a Rootkit infection. Some malware solutions can detect but not clean rootkits.
The latest infection strains (Alureon) also infects the mbr which causes random reboots.

Kaspersky has a free download that can be executed without installation.
[B]TDSSKiller[/B] can be downloaded from Kasperskys support site.
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684

A typical scan is only about a minute or so. Can’t hurt.

An infected mbr can affect a clean installation.

Could also be a driver issue since it has been recurring from a new build.

Update:
The system was built three years ago, but just for kicks I scanned for rookits using TDSSKiller anyways and nada. Also CCE, Malwarebytes and Avast! have all not detected anything.

Using the WD Data Lifeguard software to scan the hard drives right now. One drive is fine. Scanning the second drive now…

Jim, one more idea - do you have a bootable Linux or Windows Install CD-DVD? ANY bootable version will do.

Open up the case, unplug the power and SATA from the HDDs. Pull out one of the Mem Sticks, too. Then, restart the computer and let it sit on the Install Disk. Just sit there. Hours…see how it behaves.

If it continues to reboot, replace the Single Mem stick with the other.

If it still reboots, then you’ve got (1) Make sure all heat-sinks on the chipsets are attached…

(1) ReFlash The BIOS…

(3) Reseat the CPU (ugh)… this is probably #1 likeliest cause, by the way. Biting the bullet and doing this might solve all. Just pull it out, clean off the edges, stick it back in. Nothing fancier than that.

After that… “bad motherboard” would get my vote.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2656963]Jim, one more idea - do you have a bootable Linux or Windows Install CD-DVD? ANY bootable version will do.

Open up the case, unplug the power and SATA from the HDDs. Pull out one of the Mem Sticks, too. Then, restart the computer and let it sit on the Install Disk. Just sit there. Hours…see how it behaves.

If it continues to reboot, replace the Single Mem stick with the other.

If it still reboots, then you’ve got (1) Make sure all heat-sinks on the chipsets are attached…

(1) ReFlash The BIOS…

(3) Reseat the CPU (ugh)… this is probably #1 likeliest cause, by the way. Biting the bullet and doing this might solve all. Just pull it out, clean off the edges, stick it back in. Nothing fancier than that.

After that… “bad motherboard” would get my vote.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Christine, MB, Processor, and Memory this is the basics if it doesn’t run solid here you have a problem. This Rig should have been fixed a long time ago. That’s why building computers takes time and patience. You start from the basics and work your way up. If the basics are not solid, you stay there until the problem is solved. If you don’t build a computer properly, you end up with what you have now, an unstable mess. :cool:

Does it BSOD or simply restarts?

Also check Event Viewer for clues to hardware, drivers, software issues. This might put on the right track.

[QUOTE=Nemesys;2657003]Does it BSOD or simply restarts?

Also check Event Viewer for clues to hardware, drivers, software issues. This might put on the right track.[/QUOTE]

It reboots to a black and white error message asking me if I want to start Windows normally or boot into safe mode.

What is Event Viewer?

Update #2:
Both HD’s passed an extensive scan using the WD Lifeguard drive program.

Removed one RAM chip from position #3 and booted into Linux Mint on DVD w/ HD’s disconnected. System was stable for a few hours.

Reconnected hard drives and booted into W7. System has been stable for roughly 11 hours.

I going to jump in with all the others good suggestions.
It looks like it was either a “bad” RAM stick or a loose one .
Depending if you put it back in before the 11 stable hours.

Did the system ever reboot itself during this “Boot to Linux Startup”? Did it reboot itself on this last Win7/11-hours experiment?

I need to ask around… does anyone know how a CPU would behave if it had a broken pin, or if a pin was so bent that it no longer fit into the hole?

I would think “No Boot” would be the only behavior. It wouldn’t boot and be flaky, though, right?

I’d think every pin delivered/received signals, and any failure would cause a No-Boot process.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2656910]
AMD Radeon HD6670 1Gb GDDR5 128 bit video card
[/QUOTE]There’s your problem right there! AMD Cards have got really bad in the last few years, well the drivers have. When the graphics driver has a hiccup it doesn’t just restart the driver anymore it reboots and it does it instantly. I recently got rid of my Radeon card as the reboots were getting very annoying, Nvidia now and haven’t had a reboot yet, used to get reboots every day.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2657026] does anyone know how a CPU would behave if it had a broken pin, or if a pin was so bent that it no longer fit into the hole?
[/QUOTE]I’ve had two, One had a broken cpu seat the other had a broken pin both acted the same. The screen would get artifacts constantly, Like squares flashing all over the screen all different colours, System would still boot but went nuts after a while.

[QUOTE=slayerking;2657031]There’s your problem right there! AMD Cards have got really bad in the last few years, well the drivers have. When the graphics driver has a hiccup it doesn’t just restart the driver anymore it reboots and it does it instantly. I recently got rid of my Radeon card as the reboots were getting very annoying, Nvidia now and haven’t had a reboot yet, used to get reboots every day.[/QUOTE]

No dice, sk. Seems yojimbo tried that.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2656910]Dear Freaks,
[…]
What I’ve tried so far:
[…]I replaced the video card(an NVIDIA 9800GT). […] None of those things has worked.
[/QUOTE]