System performance problems

vbimport

I need some help.
Does anyone know of good software or a way to help diagnose system performance problems.

Here's the scoop/details..
1Gz Athlon
512mb pc133 memory
Nvidia TNT 64mg video card
As soon as I boot up the system and do a system check I have only 30-40% of free resources available (that is with NO programs opened). I have minimized the number of start programs which had some effect (~8%) but still awful performance. Windows manages my virtual memory.

The problem begins to show itself once I open up 3-4 windows at once.

Anyone have any ideas?

do not let windows manage your virtual memory
use 21/2 to 3 times your available ram for both max as min.
that would be +/- 1300mb virtual memory for you

Id this doesn’t work, try a memory manager. It will manage your memory and empty the parts that you do not need

thanks for your help.
I dl a memory manager and while it helped it is still really bad.
With no programs open I only have ~52% of my system resources available. What do other people get? I figured with all the ram I shouldnt have this problem. :frowning:

Therre must be 1 program that is causing the problem. Does anyone know of any software that analyzes your loaded programs and see which are using the most resources?

Again, any help or ideas are appreciated.

ok

what is the op system?

ok try running a program called SiSoftSandra it can recomend improvements to make to your system has many useful tools

and i guess you have heard of Kazza. if not look it up :wink:

it maybe that you have cluttered up your system with programs(added/removed) inwhich case i would format and start over

do you use win xp??? press ctrl-alt-del once…
and you will be able to see what prgram uses the most memory

Thanks for the help guys.
I failed to mention my OS - win98.
I have win2000 and xp but have not upgraded since some of my proggys didn’t work under XP (some financial software that I need for my work).

I will go and dl ur suggested program to see if I can find the culprit.

Right now with a mem manager installed I have outlook, and 3 browsers open and I only have 29% of my resources available.

This sux.

Do you think if I upgrade to XP (or 2000?) it might help the problem?

Step one Download Cacheman from http://www.outertech.com/ it’s free.

Step Two Install and configure Cacheman using it’s built in Wizard for Win98

Step Three reboot

Step Four : Do NOT set your virtual memory to 1300 MB, but set it to 256 min and 512 MB max and make it a permanent one —> this will create a permanent swap file with a size of 256 MB and as you will see … it wil almost certainly never get any bigger than 256 MB.

Originally posted by muslhead
[B]I need some help.
Does anyone know of good software or a way to help diagnose system performance problems.

Here’s the scoop/details…
1Gz Athlon
512mb pc133 memory
Nvidia TNT 64mg video card
As soon as I boot up the system and do a system check I have only 30-40% of free resources available (that is with NO programs opened). I have minimized the number of start programs which had some effect (~8%) but still awful performance. Windows manages my virtual memory.

The problem begins to show itself once I open up 3-4 windows at once.

Anyone have any ideas? [/B]

Well try this, goto start then run then type msconfig then goto startup and see what is running in there??? is there alot of programs there? if not i would recommend u format ya pc and CLEAN install windows 98/me or what ever os u are using and that should FOR SURE fix it :slight_smile:
P.S. i usually have between 88-92 percent of system resources when i used to use windows 98/ME

all u need to do to CLEAN INSTALL windows 98/me is make a windows startup disk, then reboot ya pc with it in floppy drive then when menu pops up, all u do is select start pc with cd-rom support after it loads some stuff all u have to do is have your windows 98/me cd-rom in ya primary cd-rom/dvd-rom drive and type FORMAT /Q C: once the A:\ prompt comes up on screen, then answer Y to the following questions it asks you.

NOTE: once you do FORMAT /Q C: ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE PERMANENTLY ERASED!!! so backup you data to a cd-rw drive before you try this :slight_smile: then after it finishes format type SETUP from the a:\ then all u have to do is follow on screen windows setup instructions to get windows back up and running :slight_smile:

if u need more help contact me on aol instant messenger @ FullFledgedCrip

But if you do format the hdd, remember to back up all the critical data you need such as documents pics, and the favorites out of IE and netscape(if you use it). There might some debris from uninstalled software sitting around…

But before you blow everything away, Look in the temp folders and see how much is in there, Every page you look at on the net, caches itself in a temporary internet folder and there are other temp folders elsewhere from different folders. Clear out those areas and run a defrag. Scandisk doesnt hurt. If you are still lagging in performance then there might be a memory leak somewhere and something eating the memory up.

Sisoft Sandra could help you with benchmarking ?
it might show soemthing ?
memory leak etc etc ?

i think the problem could just be win98: it DOESN’T support 512Mb ram, i think it supports only 256 or worse 128, so it detects you are using 50% of 256 (or 128). do your programs run on winME? if yes try it, it’s not shit as it is always said…just some people had problem with it. i never had any problem…,instead i had some with win 2000, one day my hd reported a fatal error and there had’n been no way to get my 30 GB NTFS data back…

i ran over 512 mb of pc133 ram with win98.
no faults, no dramas, not issues.
i believe it just doenst use it to its full potential.