System notifications much louder than videos

Hi,

I wasn’t sure if this post should be in software or hardware so a toss of the coin brought me here.

Basic info . . . I have Windows XP and I have desktop Labtec stereo speakers that I’ve placed on each side of my monitor. Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds & Audio Devices Properties > Hardware Tab > I have TSST Corp CDW/DVD TS-H492A, DVD/CD ROM drives, C-Media A-97 Audio Device, Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Media Control Devices, Legacy Video Capture Devices, and Video Codecs.

The system notification sounds, such as Windows starting up or shutting down are extremely loud when the volume control on the speakers is set at the midpoint level. Most times, when I play a movie that I have stored inside my pc, the volume is so low that even though I turn the volume knob up all the way on the speakers and set the volume control on the player up to the highest, I can barely hear it. MP3’s play louder but the settings are highest on either the player or the speaker volume control and mid-way on the other one.

These are the settings that I have:

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds & Audio Devices Properties > Device Volume is set on High

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds & Audio Devices Properties > Volume Tab > Advanced > Everything is set to the highest except SW Synth which is in the middle

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds & Audio Devices Properties > Volume Tab > Speaker Settings > Speaker Volume > Right and Left is set on the highest setting

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds & Audio Devices Properties > Volume Tab > Speaker Settings > Advanced > Speakers Tab > Speaker Setup > Desktop Stereo Speakers

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds & Audio Devices Properties > Volume Tab > Speaker Settings > Advanced > Performance Tab > Harware Excelleration = Full and Sample Rate Conversion Quality = Best

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds & Audio Devices Properties > Audio Tab > Sound Playback > Default Device = C-Media Wave Device

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds & Audio Devices Properties > Audio Tab > Sound Playback > Volume = All set to the highest except SW Synth which is in the middle.

I just started having this problem a few months ago. Based on these settings, can you tell what’s wrong with the volume and is there anything that I can do to increase it when I play videos?

Thanks in advance . . . Denise

Double click the speaker icon in the systray then click on ‘open volume control’. Once you get there click on ‘options’ and then ‘properties’. Once you get into properties make sure there’s a check mark in the ‘wave’ box. Adjust that and see if it cures the problem. The system notification sounds are usually wave files, lower the wave setting and see if that helps. You may see a box for ‘video’ as well. Put a check mark in there so you can adjust that one too. Hope this helps.