System not booting

vbimport

hi
i have X4 proc,500 gb hard disk,2gb ram with xp pro sp2 (New PC).
recently i wanted to installed cyberlink 3d 10 (something like that).inbetween the installation system restarted .i ran again the installation,then it give me BSOD 0x00000024 ,sfsync02.sys error.
then after restarting system hangs and restarts at loading window screen.in Safe mode ,it show list of files ,then crashes and restarts.
in repair option ;
Firstly it doesn’t ask administrator password ,just goes to c propmt .with chkdsk /r ,it says “The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problem”.it doesn’t show other partition only c: and DVD drive.
With dir ,it says “An error occured during directory enumeration”.

i then used a ubuntu live dvd,it shows the parttions correctly.Using Asus Express gate (booting with USB drive) ,it also shows the partition correctly.
Using another HD with XP and attaching this HD as slave,it doen’t shows all partitions,only a single partition of 128 GB as RAW.
What in god’s name this happened due to a single program,HD is brand new and has ran CHKDSK recently without any problem.
please help me out guys ,please !!:sad:

and also using pc inspector file recovery or other recovery software show my new hard disk total size as 128 gb instead of 500 gb.remaining GBs are the lost partitions that doesn’t show up in recovery softwares.
but these partitions are accesible in linux.

Please don’t panic.

Turn on your computer and hit F8, a menu should appear from which you select “Load Last known good configuration”.

Please try that and report back.

i have used that but it just the same old “glimpse of loading window screen” ,then it restarts.am i dealing with a boot sector virus or mbr virus.as i have had not done anything with partitions.
as shown by the partition magic
128 GB is shown as different parttions but it shows up as a single partitions unformatted in explorer.remaining 311 gb which has 6 partitions is shown as unallocated.
here are screenshots

PC inspector reports:
bad parameter in boot sector:root directory cluster(4119533773)>count of clusters!

Get data back for ntfs reports:
error 65284 reading partition table

this is the problem my drive is 500gb but it says 137 BG

It looks to me like your hard drive has developed some bad sectors.

If you are not a geek then you might want to ask a techie friend to help you with the following process:

1. perform an exact sector-by-sector backup of your hard-drive to an external hard drive, or other media, using Ghost or other forensically accurate cloning tool. (You can skip this step if you can afford to lose the data on your hard drive.)
  2. boot your PC from an XP install disk (or similar bootdisk) and run chkdsk/scandisk with the surface scan option enabled. The scan should take up to several hours.
  3. run fdisk /mbr (N.B. you might need to do this before step 2, if you can’t initiate the scan). This writes a new Master Boot Record to your hard drive and might cause problems later if you have a dual-boot operating system (unlikely).
  4. Try and re-boot.
  5. If windows won’t load, run a repair install of the operating system (you will need an XP install disk with the same (or later) service patch number as your installation.

Whether the above process helps or not you should probably buy a new hard-drive and transfer your system to it, since failing sectors are almost always a clear indication of a failing hard drive.

Slainte

midders

[QUOTE=midders;2503676]It looks to me like your hard drive has developed some bad sectors.

If you are not a geek then you might want to ask a techie friend to help you with the following process:

1. perform an exact sector-by-sector backup of your hard-drive to an external hard drive, or other media, using Ghost or other forensically accurate cloning tool. (You can skip this step if you can afford to lose the data on your hard drive.)
  2. boot your PC from an XP install disk (or similar bootdisk) and run chkdsk/scandisk with the surface scan option enabled. The scan should take up to several hours.
  3. run fdisk /mbr (N.B. you might need to do this before step 2, if you can’t initiate the scan). This writes a new Master Boot Record to your hard drive and might cause problems later if you have a dual-boot operating system (unlikely).
  4. Try and re-boot.
  5. If windows won’t load, run a repair install of the operating system (you will need an XP install disk with the same (or later) service patch number as your installation.

Whether the above process helps or not you should probably buy a new hard-drive and transfer your system to it, since failing sectors are almost always a clear indication of a failing hard drive.

Slainte

midders[/QUOTE]

i have scan the hard disk ,found no bad sectors.linux and other live disks identifies the partition without problem.only windows has this problem.i think its a partition table problem.
Can you suggest some softwares (freeware) like just boot corrector which is demo to rectify partition table problem.

@sujeet2555
Besides your possible HDD problem the original BSOD has sfsync02.sys involved - part of the Starforce Protection Drivers.
Try to update or completely remove them: http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/

using the same recovery suite in bootable mode shows the partition like (active boot disk).i even ran chkdsk on all partition and found no problem.but in the same software and windowxp also doesn’t shows the partition in window enviroment.
i also got stop 0x0000007f in F8 debug option.
i doesn’t fiddled with any hardware recently and i also don’t overclock.

what about that software that was the cause of problem and sfsync02.sys as mentioned above .is it a virus ?

[QUOTE=sujeet2555;2503705]what about that software that was the cause of problem and sfsync02.sys as mentioned above .[/QUOTE]Already told you in the post above yours :wink:

To be exact it’s StarForce Protection Synchronization Driver (version 2.x)
Follow the link above and download the Updater or Uninstaller.

how can i remove starforce if i am stuck at loading screen?
although i have removed sfsync ,sfhlp,sfdrv files from sys32/drivers folders (with help of boot disk).but no success in booting.it just freeze at the very moment loading screen appears.wy can’t i get through safe mode?
what are the basic important sys files for safe mode?

one more thing in repair mode with xp disk ,on c prompt;when given the command disable sfc…sys.
it gives the error “the system registry does not appears to have an active controlset key.the system registry may be damaged”.
and fixboot gives the error “fixboot cannot find the system drive”

does this indicate any clues?

[QUOTE=sujeet2555;2503787]how can i remove starforce if i am stuck at loading screen?
[/QUOTE]I’m very sorry - missed that part :doh:

If it is a software problem it maybe also helps to rename/deactivate drivers/services of the Cyberlink suite.

[QUOTE=Terramex;2503827]I’m very sorry - missed that part :doh:

If it is a software problem it maybe also helps to rename/deactivate drivers/services of the Cyberlink suite.[/QUOTE]

recovery console or window enviroment of other hard disk is not finding my window installation.while a bootable solution finds it.
thats the problem.

don’t know what had i done (tried many options) ,now i can access partitions from other hard disk as well as from boot disk.repair option also work.
but still windows does not starts,and safe mode doesn’t work.

atlast i had to repair window installations ,then i am able to login to windows.thanks to all for the help.
but i messed up one partition that is showing as unallocated.
this partition was in extended but there are two unallocated partition showing up one in extended and other is in primary partition.recovering option shows that drive i.e. in good health 100%.
but active partition recovering is giving error
"unable to recover partition because it overlaps with other partition.please define and delete the existing invalid partition"
can i recover that partition from those two unallocated spaces.

one more thing can i convert a primary partition to extended one without losing any data.
thanks in advance.