System info needed

vbimport

long time reader and i have always found very useful guidance here so i wanted to come here with a problem. My system i used for backing up my dvd and doing my dvd work died. i have to replace it, am thinking of just getting a machine to do this work as i have to have a main machine for work (i work from home) so do not want to have to depend on one machine for both. any suggestion on memory or such
thanks
gizmo

[QUOTE=gizmotoz;2495093]long time reader and i have always found very useful guidance here so i wanted to come here with a problem. My system i used for backing up my dvd and doing my dvd work died. i have to replace it, am thinking of just getting a machine to do this work as i have to have a main machine for work (i work from home) so do not want to have to depend on one machine for both. any suggestion on memory or such
thanks
gizmo[/QUOTE]

It really depends on what you are going to do…just rip and make backup copies or rip to the hard drive and do some editing :confused:

Me personally I would make sure the system has at least two core CPU and 1gig of ram and a 250 gig hard drive unless you plan on storing the movies on your computer then I would suggest at least a 1T for the hard drive :slight_smile:

BTW…Nice to see you again :clap:

My suggestion is get the biggest & best processor you can & build out from it.
IMO processor size & speed effects the processing of a dvd backup more than anything else.
I will let someone with more expertise reccomend the best drive.Drives come & go during the life of a computer anyway.
I now use an USB external HDD to rip backups to.I think this keeps the internal HDD from fragmenting as much.I haven’t done this but I think the only problem this might cause is doing a write to an external drive from the external HDD.Not a problem for me but something to keed in mind.

I agree with my friends on faster is better if you are going to do some mobile encoding, but I have an old, old machine running Windows 2000 that is just as fast as my whiz bang quad core machine for backing up DVD to DVD. The optical drives are the limiting factor in DVD to DVD. It has 1 GB of memory. The CPU just loafs on DVD to DVD.

thanks for the guidance. i am just backing dvd to dvd. i have a gateway that i am using for work but i am afraid my hp is about 100 g h.d. and i am pretty sure runnign single processor. it is about 6 years old. i guess i had gotten ocomfrtalbe wiht the machine i was using and went blank when it died…
gizmo

[QUOTE=90312;2495420]I agree with my friends on faster is better if you are going to do some mobile encoding, but I have an old, old machine running Windows 2000 that is just as fast as my whiz bang quad core machine for backing up DVD to DVD. The optical drives are the limiting factor in DVD to DVD. It has 1 GB of memory. The CPU just loafs on DVD to DVD.[/QUOTE]

The software has to be able to take advantage of the multiple core CPU.
If it is just using one core then the speed will be about the same as a single core CPU of the size of the one core.
I know my dual core with Vista is much faster than my old computer with XP that has a Pentium 3 single core.It doesn’t do a better job it’s just faster.

Maybe I should qualify a bit, if you are compressing DVD-9 to DVD-5 I’m sure there is a difference in speed based on CPU but if cloning to like sized DVDs then the CPU doesn’t matter.

I haven’t tested that but I think I already agree.

I did check out the theory, I ran a DVD 9 to 9 and then 9 to 5 while checking the CPU utilization. This is on the old single core machine, drives in UDMA mode and an 80 conductor cable. The theory is: in UDMA mode the CPU is not involved in the data transfer, but transcoding a DVD-9 to DVD-5 will involve the CPU. See the pictures attached: Top a 9 to 5 and the bottom pic is 9 to 9.

So what do you think?

@90312 , Thanks for the extra effort. I may start my old computer & see how it does.

@90312 , I did some testing & here are the results:
On my old computer Pentium 3 450MHz.XPpro.
Using DVDFab6.Commercial pressed movie
DVD 9 to DVD 9 : Average 22% CPU ussage.
DVD 9 to DVD 5 : Average 90% CPU ussage.
Newer dual core AMD.VistaHP.
Using DVDFab6.Commercial pressed movie.
DVD 9 to DVD 9 : Average 3% CPU ussage.
I have already used the trial so I only have DVDFab free versian after trial on the computer.So I couldn’t compress to DVD 5 with DVDFab.So using AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 for the DVD 9 to DVD 5.
DVD 9 to DVD 5 : Average 23% CPU ussage.

The results look pretty similar, and obviously the CPU speed makes a difference when transcoding. The biggest difference I’ve encountered is DVD to mobile, hours on the old slow single core to minutes on the, not particularly fast, quad core doing mp4 files for the PSP and iPod Touch.