System fails to boot with SH-203B connected (Samsung SH-S203B / TS-H653B)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203B / TS-H653B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Ok I’ve had this problem for awhile now; maybe someone here can shed some light on it for me.

I’ve got two SATA hard drives connected to the MB… No problems
I’ve got one PATA Sony DVD-RW connected… No problems
I’ve got one SATA Samsung DVD-RW connected… PROBLEM sometimes
The drive is a Samsung SH-S203B.

PROBLEM:
During boot-up, the system will occassionally lock up at “detecting drives”. It locks up specifically when trying to detect the Samsung drive. The system always boots perfectly if I disconnect the Samsung drive from the MB.

TROUBLSHOOTING:
I have tried connecting the drive to a different SATA connector.
I have tried different SATA cables.
I have RMAed to Samsung drive, for an identical model.
My drivers are up to date (nForce 9.64).
My Samsung firmware is up to date (SB04).

None of these has solved the problem.
Any ideas?

EVGA 680i SLI ~A1 (P31)
Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.375GHz (1.4v)

• Zalman CNPS9500AT
    2GB Corsair Twin2X2048-8500C5 @ 1200MHz
    EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT @ 700/2000
    Antec 900 case / Antec Trio 550 PSU
    24" Dell 2407WFP-HC monitor
    WinXP Pro

A while ago I had this board.
You could try Windows drivers for your controllers.
But I had to fall back on SATA PCI Controller card based on the SiliconImage chipset.
Flashed to BASE BIOS (Non-Raid) & specific drivers for CDRW/DVDRW’s.

Soulsurvivor,
Did you have this same problem?

Yes.
The onboard controllers were not really suited to Optical Disc Drives.
So would work sometimes, but even then performance was poor.
Very inconsistent.
If lucky MS drivers may work for you (though my experience says this unlikely).
Have used two SiliconImage cards.
The 3512 & 3114.
Both are excellent.

I didn’t have exactly the same problem as you are having with boot up but when I was
using the Nvidia NForce IDE mobo drivers my Samsung 203B drives wouldn’t burn the
DVD discs correctly. They would hang at writing the lead-in and ruin the disc so I just
switched back to the standard MS drivers for the drives that are connected to the mobo
and all was well afterwords. Like soulsurvivor said try the MS drivers and if that doesn’t
work then get a Si3114 or Si3512 SATA add in card and that will fix your problem. I’m using
both cards in my system right now for my Sammy drives and they work perfectly. :iagree: :clap:

Hmmm,

since the problem occurs in the beginning of the boot process, there might not be some driver issue, but a general compatibility problem or just some misconfiguration.

To operate a Sata DVD burner, the Sata controller should be configured as IDE/ATA (or whatever that option is called) in Bios setup. Unfortunately, this is not an option if the HDDs are configured as Raid. In that case I also recommend installing a Silicon Image based PCI Sata card (with Base Bios applied).

Michael

mciahal,

That makes sense to me. I checked my BIOS settings. I went to “Integrated Peripherals” then to “Serial-ATA Controler”.

My options there are…
Disable
SATA-0
SATA-0+1
All Enabled

It is set to “All Enabled”.

I do not see any other area that looks like it would apply to my problem. Any suggestions.

Squeeken,
Your problem is definitely the fact that your SATA controllers aren’t really meant for ODD’s.
But for HDD’s.
Some folk get mislaid because of the term *

Supports six native SATA2 3.0Gb/s devices / Hot-swap capability, allowing disks to be changed without powering down the system / Optimized for NVIDIA MediaShieldâ„¢ Storage technology / Supports SATA ATAPI* devices.

I believe that the PCI card route is going to be your only option.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2109486]Squeeken,
Your problem is definitely the fact that your SATA controllers aren’t really meant for ODD’s.
But for HDD’s.
Some folk get mislaid because of the term *

(…) / Supports SATA ATAPI* devices.[/quote]If SATA ATAPI support is advertised, then the controller must support opticals. This is even valid for my ancient Promise controller;)
Assuming I read the correct manual, there is no mentioning of Atapi at all, so you might be correct here. But this would be IMO very strange for recent hardware (even Via managed to have their latest southbridge work with ODD).

[QUOTE=Squeeken;2109461]
That makes sense to me. I checked my BIOS settings. I went to “Integrated Peripherals” then to “Serial-ATA Controler”.

(…) It is set to “All Enabled”.

I do not see any other area that looks like it would apply to my problem. Any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

[ul]
[li]Disable Raid for the controller you have hooked your drive to
[/li][li]Don’t overclock
[/li][li]Check if there is a newer Bios for your motherboard
[/li][/ul]If that doesn’t help, an add-on card seems the only option then.

Michael

I’m not running RAID.
RAID is disabled in the BIOS.
I’m not overclocking at this time either.
My BIOS is P31. There is a P32 BIOS but it only adds Wolfdale support.

Bummer!

Well, at least I now know what the problem is likely to be, and you guys gave me a solution, so I’ll just have to decide if I really want the drive enough to buy a SATA card or just pull the drive from the system.

Thanks for all your help.

i have TS-H653b and have nforce 3 250 chipset on FN95 Shuttle mother board. my system doesnot boots up if the drive is connected i have to connect it after it boots up, it even doesnt goes in bios setup if drive is connected i have to disconnect it all the time booting form drive is not an option as yet to me, my bios does recognise it as when in bios setup, it does recognise my drive… HELP needed

i tried to install firmware SH-S203B_SB04.exe TS-H653B_JY00.exe TS-H653B_TG00.exe but it said firmware is incompaitable