Switching Hard drives

vbimport

I have a HP G60 Laptop with Windows 7 and a Sony Viao also with 7 on it. The HP’s motherboard went out last week. I need to get the pictures and other files off of it. Can I take out the hard drive of the HP and put it in the Viao to get the files off with either disk or flash drive???

That likely will not work, however putting the hard drive from the dead one into a USB enclosure (Online retailers, Best Buy, staples, etc…)
will let you copy just about anything off that Hard drive.

Just out of curiosity what are you going to do with the dead G60?
I have a customer with a broken one that I could fix with an available
organ donor

AD

Thank you not the answer I was hoping for. The G60 when I get the info off of it will probably become a paper weight. The motherboard is out as well as the charger connection :frowning:

You can also use a usb to sata/ide adapter. You take drive out and attach to adapter and then to your other laptop. Here is an example if your near a Microcenter.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0285941

[QUOTE=scotton;2611063]You can also use a usb to sata/ide adapter. [/QUOTE]:iagree: +1
These things are very handy.

Michael

Got a couple in my tool kit :iagree:

[QUOTE=scotton;2611063]You can also use a usb to sata/ide adapter. You take drive out and attach to adapter and then to your other laptop. Here is an example if your near a Microcenter.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0285941[/QUOTE]

I’d go with the USB Adaptor, use it all the time with my Clients. I have one that fits 2.5 and 3.5 HDD’s both PATA and SATA. Then I use Explorer File Manager to transfer the Files over. :cool:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2611072]:iagree: +1
These things are very handy.

Michael[/QUOTE]

No kidding I got one and you don’t know how handy those are when you need to pull information off the drive.

I keep a pair of Eagle USB notebook drive enclosures (one IDE one SATA)
in my notebook bag along with several 8gb USB drives that carry my driver collection

I have Enclosures for both IDE and SATA desktop drives that similarly I exclusively use as tools.

a typical USB notebook drive enclosure to allow you to “Rescue” files
will only cost you about $15 or so.

a bit cheaper if you shop ebay carefully.

AD