Switching between dvd+r and dvd-r

I want to burn photos and music to disc. I bought dvd+r discs and was told that I should stick with + once I used it, otherwise I could damage my computer if I switched to -. Is there any truth to this?
Also I burnt some music to one of these discs and now I can’t get it to play on anything- my computer or any of the dvd players in my house. Any help is appreciated.

No truth whatsoever, the mere difference is a writing strategy. True that the strategy of + is in a way better than -, but you could have endless debates about it. A good writer can deal with both. I know my NEC writer can.

I don’t know why your burns are malfunctioning, but you can’t even read them in the computer you burned them on?

Yes and No. I burnt pictures to one disc and I can view those on my computer, but the music I burnt from iTunes I can’t play on my computer. I did something to view the files on the disk and it said they were there I just can’t get them to play.

The fact that you burnt them from iTunes may be the issue. Many iTunes music files are in AAC format, usually with the file extension .m4a or .mp4. These are Apple’s protected file types and are unlikely to play on CD’s properly.
Also, some older cd players, particularly old ones, can’t play audio cd’s that had mp3s burnt to them, something about how they are compressed. Try to burn files that are in WMA format.

You have someone trying to pull your leg…that’s a joke.
Your problems reading the iTunes files maybe dure to DRM protection, compatible software player or the appropriate codecs are missing, as you say you can “see” the files are there your drive can handle the disc format you are using.

I want to burn photos and music to disc. I bought dvd+r discs and was told that I should stick with + once I used it, otherwise I could damage my computer if I switched to -. Is there any truth to this?

Also I burnt some music to one of these discs and now I can’t get it to play on anything- my computer or any of the dvd players in my house. Any help is appreciated ###.

One Point at a time. As per previous posters you can switch + or - without damage.
How did you burn your pictures to disc, program used?. Unless your DVD player can handle JPEG images you will need a conversion program to incorporate Pictures into a DVD format, and then burn with a good burning program. Check compatability of your dvd player some prefer the - format. Depending on your burner you may be able to Bitset to DVD-Rom and make + format more compatible. Try googling for more info, or search on this forum.

Yes and No. I burnt pictures to one disc and I can view those on my computer, but the music I burnt from iTunes I can’t play on my computer. I did something to view the files on the disk and it said they were there I just can’t get them to play ###.

Pictures burnt raw to a DVD will be viewable on your computer. As per previous poster, sounds like you I-POD files may be loaded with DRM, or its possible your DVD player cannot handle music files on DVD, very few players will even play MP3 of a DVD. You need to check the file extension as suggested. Aagain google or forum search for a good AAC to MP3 converter.
A program called DPPowerAmp would be a good place to start.