Switched from ecdc 5 to nero latest and have ? about cddb

hi all,

well after lots of talk i finally made the switch from ecdc5 platinum to nero latest full version with mp3pro and svcd plugins.

so far i like it and am not using InCD although i had no issues at all with directCD i read here instead of using InCD to just use cdrw discs and multisession. what i do is usually save all program updates and data till its full then make new cdrs with the updates added to existing full programs for my backups.

anyhow my question is with audio in the past every app i have when i put in an audio disc would query either cddb or gracenote or where ever to get album info for cd (track titles etc.)

i see that nero does this but by downloading a huge database.
i have broadband (cable) but don’t want to store 150+mb database of stuff i may never need.

So how in the heck can i just get individual song/full cd info for disc i inserted to be copied?
So how in the heck can i just get individual song/full cd info for disc i inserted to be copied?

i understand not many places outside of usa get internet time so cheap but isn’t there away nero can get this automatically (by just inserting audio disc?) without having to search it out manually?

if there is a way could someone point me in the direction where i can find this info? or just tell me how knowing i am new to interface but don’t use the wizard.

thanx,
chevysales

Check “Preferences”. There you can choose when you want to check for titles.

Anyway, if you’re keen to try a new interface and you’re interested in audio burning, why don’t you try Feurio?
Feurio is better programmed, and you don’t receive new bugs with every upgrade.
If you want to make compilations, nothing beats Feurio!

if you’re doing audio then you DEFINITELY need to try both feurio and eac. don’t play around with the software that ‘also’ does audio. eac is free from exactaudiocopy.de and feurio is shareware that isn’t crippled or time limited from www.feurio.com.

i am aware of both proggys you all speak of.

i use plextools 1.19 for about all my audio.

that said i still wish to have nero setup for being able to do it if i can.

i don’t do mp3’s too much but always keep latest audigrabber around too. and when i do make an mp3 i run constant bitrate 320 with latest stable lame with plextools or ag 1.82.
i am not about speed but am not spending 3 hours to rip a cd.

am a huge rolling stones fan from 69" on ward and belong to a trading group similar to chris’s but is on yahoo and only rolling stones boots. its about clean recordings and nothing but. :slight_smile:

yep i am aware of the unsecured mode etc. but… i don’t have cd’s that are too damaged and in some of the audio forums (even the eac one) the plextools with newer plextor drives does as good as ajob as eac.

once i learn interface of nero and get used to it i am definetly going to get fuerio as i here so many good things about it.

now as long as it doesn’t install its own aspi files i would be happy with it. i see nero did not install its own either and am happy about that.

by the way if both come from same group (ahead) and its a small company as read here in review then why would one be “buggy” and the other not?
there will always be a debate here and else where about which is better/less hassle etc butr so much is dependent on users setup etc.

thanx

Originally posted by chevysales
now as long as it doesn’t install its own aspi files i would be happy with it. i see nero did not install its own either and am happy about that.

Nero installs shit anyway (Nerocheck.exe now, or Nerocd95.vxd before).
Feurio and EAC don’t install absolutely anything. Everything is in their folders and no need to reboot, unlike Nero.
You can see and disable the drivers installed in your system with Feurio System Diagnosis (it works nicely in Win98).

by the way if both come from same group (ahead) and its a small company as read here in review then why would one be “buggy” and the other not?

Feurio is made by Jens Fangmeier. Him and I suppose that a very small group of programmers. It’s distributed by Ahead, but they didn’t code Feurio. I guess that they exchange distribution by some help with Nero’s code.
Nero is an overloaded program, and my experience tells me that you can’t trust that a feature that was working well, won’t have a bug in a new version…

Feurio also rips in burst mode like Nero, so it’s as fast as Nero. But it can report C2 errors, so if no error is reported you can be sure that extraction was perfect (you can’t know it with Nero). That also helps to detect bad CDs.

as minix says neither feurio nor eac install anything else but both do depend on a stable aspi layer. (i use 4.60 with no problems) i have used feurio for all tasks in the past but i have taken to ripping with eac using the lame encoder lately.

thanx for the info guys. :slight_smile:

i will give it a try.

minix

No need to reboot with latest versions of Nero.

chevysales

You have to make a dummy database to get Nero to grab the data from CDDB.

Make a dummy folder called

CDDB

Then one more called:

Nero User Database

and one called

Nero Program Database:

Now open Nero and hit Extras, then go to Import Internet Database, now point Nero to the empty CDDB folder, and when it asks where to create the Program Database point to the above folder called Nero Program Database.

Last thing is to make a User Database, Extras/Make User Database, and now point to User Database.

In each case say yes to use new database as your default one.

Last thing as someone else mentioned, go to preferences in Nero, and under the Database tab, make sure the 3 bottom boxes are ticked “Open database during…”

Now when doing an Audio CD, you will get a popup when copying.

You can save those 2 folders for when you one day have to reinstall Nero, and then just point to them in preferences

Let me know if it works out for you.

To get the info from CDDB, simply hit access internet database…

Originally posted by Oz.
minix
No need to reboot with latest versions of Nero.

I don’t know with latest versions, but 5.5.9.17 needed a restart. (Later versions seem too buggy to try them).
And the bundled Nero that came with an LG 48x of a friend had to reboot (twice).
It still installs something like “Nerocheck.exe”, that I don’t know its purpose (I’ve disabled it).

Now open Nero and hit Extras, then go to Import Internet Database…

Is that setting for setting up an offline CDDB database in Nero?
Last time I tried to do that from a local downloaded freedb database, my computer was hogged by Nero for several hours (nothing good with a delicate hard disk) and the folder occupied the double of the original database (250MB).
To do the same thing, Feurio needed 10 minutes and 100MB.
That’s another reason why I say that Nero is poorly designed compared to Feurio.

oz,

thanx worked great.

i have cable and was done real quick with all.

honestly the more i use this proggy the more i like it!

very nice cover editor in comaprison with ecdc’s.

thanx again

chevysales

Glad I didn’t waste my time

minix

As far as I have heard, the neroCheck is something which checks on something called upper/lower filters in registry, they are there in regards to your CDROM drives. Those can be stuffed up if EZCD is uninstalled from system.

The above is not a 100% for sure, just something I vaguely remember reading at one stage. If those upper/lower are wrong, Windows cant find your CD drives.

Do a Google on:

upper lower filters easy cd creator

and you will learn more.

If you never have installed Roxio stuff, you would have no problem disabling it, I do so myself.

Hi. I have been using Feurio for some time now and like it despite the somewhat crude interface. But when I installed a new Plextor 760A DVD writer, I started getting error messages that the driver wasn’t recognizing the burner. I was only offered the choice between 4x and 8x burn speeds. And the Burn-Proof capability wasn’t recognized. I tried burning an audio CD at 8x and got a buffer underrun error. (I should point out that I continued working with Word on the computer while the burn was in progress).

So, I tried doing an identical burn with Nero (version 5.5.10.56) and was able to burn at 32x with no problem, continuing to work as I had when I got the buffer underrun with Feurio while burning at 8x.

So what’s up? I sent an e-mail to Feurio about this but have gotten no answer. I’m ready to switch to Nero now, but their database function doesn’t seem to work. Any suggestions on how to get Feurio to work OR how to get Nero to write to the database and export it it to CDplayer.ini/DeluxeCD would be most welcome.

TiA

Unfortunately, development of Feurio seems stopped. Your new Plextor is not officially supported, so the only choice is to try different generic drivers.
Feurio CD-Writer -> Info -> Driver -> Select Driver
and then try if “Generic MMC”, “Generic SCSI-3/ATAPI”, or “Generic MMC Raw” drivers work correctly with your burner.

You have to try them.
If BurnProof has to be enabled by software, then you have another problem. It won’t probably work. Most writers nowadays always burn with BurnProof enabled, even if the software doesn’t tell them to enable it, but Plextor might have had another idea…

Don’t be surprised if the generic drivers cause strange problems with your tracks. You have to carefully test several discs. Always simulate before burning.

To enable CD-Text:
Feurio CD-Writer -> Info -> Settings -> CD-Text override

Nero 6 didn’t export to CDplayer.ini, if I’m not mistaken. It’s not very good for CDDB. And Nero7 seems to have problems with burning audio/MP3, I’ve heard.