Switch to digital TV may benefit a few

vbimport

Story here

Hell, yeah, reminds me of that selling jerks trying to sell “DIGITAL DISHES” and all kinda BS to people who have not the big background on that products… :frowning:

I switched from analogue TV to digital in 2001. :sunglasses:
I had kinda 40 tv channels and 200 radio, now I have more than 6000 TV and 1500 radio channels. :slight_smile:

Holy $hit dude!
I switched from analogue to Digital in 2001 … and we still have … 5 stations :stuck_out_tongue:
Although, now we have the same channels with a local variations & one HiDef channel per … well… station.
Each channel has 1 or 2 SD channels + 1 guide + 1 HD channel, which is 1080i (where’s the sick emoticon?) which has been demonstrated to be worse quality than 720p :stuck_out_tongue:

I receive them via sat (DVB-S & DVB-S2) from 8 satellite positions actually.
Will be expanded to approx. 30 sats this year. :slight_smile: Then a motorized superior Dish gets added too.

I am not going to switch to digital, unless i can easily split the signal to multiple televisions like i can with coax. I do not want to pay twice for the same signal just because i have more than one television in my house. Stupid settop boxes.

Mr B is there not such a thing as a set-top box with analogue coax out?

BTW I drove by[B]chef[/B]'s back garden the other day; it’s awesome :eek:

Oh gee, I’m spotted. :smiley:

I believe in Multifeed reception for my not-motorized dishes. :wink:
Something like this: http://www.wavefrontier.us/

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2002630]

BTW I drove by[B]chef[/B]'s back garden the other day; it’s awesome :eek:

[/QUOTE]

ROTFL :clap:

I have five choices around here:

Internet TV: Crap, only a few (4) channels. Plus i need an extra computer for that per connection. Gobbles up the bandwith of my internet connection, especially if the household want to watch two channels at the same time (two televisions, remember?)

Digital TV via coax: Crap, uses set-top box and scart out. I need an additional set-top box (and encryption card) for a 2nd tv or a dual settop box. Naturally the dual set-top box isn’t cheap. Several hundred of channels.

Digital TV via antenna: Crap, uses set-top box and scart out. I need an additional set-top box (and encryption card) for a 2nd tv or a dual settop box. Naturally the dual set-top box isn’t cheap. Around 40 channels. Oh, and extremely high interference. Whenever a scooter fires its engine, you get distortion in the tv screen. Sucks big time.

Sattellite: Crap, uses set-top box and scart out. I need an additional set-top box (and encryption card) for a 2nd tv or a dual set-top box. Naturally the dual set-top box isn’t cheap. Oh, and a dish with two reciever ends! Big investement! A gazillion channels though.

Coaxial (the old fashoined way): Wonderful. Uses the tv tuners themselves. I can split, enhance and modify the coax signal any use i want to. I can connect 20, 200, 1000 tv’s and pay only one subcscription. About 40 channels.

So, unless they (the tv companies around here) change their strategy or internet television matures, i’m staying at the old fashoined coaxial system.

I think you forget the point that “Coaxial” is analogue cable and will disappear over time soon. The pic quality is not comparable with eg. sat (either SD or HD). And the signal quality will also decrease by the amount of connected (end)users/receivers.

[QUOTE=chef;2003264]I think you forget the point that “Coaxial” is analogue cable and will disappear over time soon.[/quote] Perhaps, but not today. There is nothing cheaper than coaxial cable.
I’m hoping that when it coaxial analog has to go, internet tv has matured enough to get that.

The pic quality is not comparable with eg. sat (either SD
All the tv channels in the world are already digital and most of them are broadcasting in 16:9 vision. You can see that around here when the commercials start and you see the screen flopping back and forth.

And the signal quality will also decrease by the amount of connected (end)users/receivers.
Of course. When you boost a signal you also boost the noise and thus the quality. But overall the quality is more than enough for a normal television, especially if you use an enhancer with good noise reduction.

Nope, no digital tv for me yet. :slight_smile:

We had 5 channels here with the old system and about 35 now on terrestrial DVB (dunno how many on Sky, to many to count).
So digital here has been a good thing, so far. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2003371] All the tv channels in the world are already digital and most of them are broadcasting in 16:9 vision. You can see that around here when the commercials start and you see the screen flopping back and forth.

Nope, no digital tv for me yet. :)[/QUOTE]

Things in germany are a lil bit different. Many cable services are still analogue or submit analogue plexed signals.
And 16:9 were a dead bird for many german tv stations few months ago…