Sweden to sign controversial anti-piracy law

vbimport

I just posted the article Sweden to sign controversial anti-piracy law.

A controversial new anti-piracy law has been signed, with Swedish lawmakers implying they will not stop the law from going into effect in April 2009.
Specifically, the Lagrådet…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15157-Sweden-to-sign-controversial-anti-piracy-law.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15157-Sweden-to-sign-controversial-anti-piracy-law.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Looks like the jig’s up, boys. Time to stop pirating.

ha, nothing will ever stop it.

This greater impact of law like this isn’t about piracy at all. The right of all citizens to a fair trial is at stake; innocent-until-proven-guilty is a fundemental principle of law. When guilt is the presumption, we all suffer.

Beginning of the end of the anarchy that is plauging the internet?

I wonder if the bill isn’t just ‘cosmetic’, they’re under pressure over there to do something. The Sweds are very bright people, wonder what their government is like?

“The right of all citizens to a fair trial is at stake; innocent-until-proven-guilty is a fundemental principle of law.”

You haven’t noticed, then, that this is already not the case and arguably has never been the case in most societies that ever existed, including up until now?

I don’t like draconian methods but some opposition to such methods do a good job of ruining their arguments by overstating, like the quote in this news piece about elephants. If you want to offend them and HELP THEIR GOAL go ahead. Some of us prefer to stay a little more realistic and informed and make intelligent statements that might actually win some people over.

time to stop pirating?! man better stop smoking that wacky weed. put up all the barriers you like the pirates always find a detour. stopping piracy is like stopping the internet, possible but very unlikely.

I think this is just an attempt by the Swedish government to make it look like they are actually wanting to try and stop piracy.

I’m super curious to see how this plays out, as The Pirate Bay and other groups are very organized and very popular in Sweden.

If this is a serious attempt to nip piracy in the bud, I think Sweden will quickly find out that very little can stop it.