SW-9576-C and Windows XP

[qanda]This thread is about the Panasonic SW-9576. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi!

I have bought the Panasonic SW-9576-C because of its DVD-RAM capabilities but to my surprise it came without a manual, drivers etc. My questions:

1. Can it be used with Windows XP Professional SP 2 without drivers?
  2. Can it be used in an external housing? If yes, which housings are recommended for that device?
  3. Is the manual available as a PDF file? If yes, where?

Any help is much appreciated.

1. after you install the drive and bootup, windows should install the drivers and it should function

2. any external case should work

3. the typical place to get manuals is the manufacturers website, however, Panasonic doesn’t appear to have them online

Dogg,

thank you for your quick help – I will install the drive and post the reults.

Gunther

The installation went perfect – the drive was recognized immediately, and after installing this driver I got UDF support too. By the way: Is there a newer version of this driver?

After that I found this Panasonic website; I haven’t installed that driver so I can’t compare the two.

Panasonic’s website isn’t very helpful (at least to me). Many links point to pages that no longer exists, and my email to two addresses bounced.

Does somebody know where I can found a manual for the SW-9576-C? I would like to have as much information about that drive as possible.

Thanks!

Gunther

Hi,[quote=Sharpo51;2204355]The installation went perfect – the drive was recognized immediately, and after installing this driver (somewhere from geocities) I got UDF support too. By the way: Is there a newer version of this driver?[/quote]Sure. From the filename, I’guess this is a really ancient version. Also, I am not sure if this was a good trusteable source. :eek:

After that I found this Panasonic website; I haven’t installed that driver so I can’t compare the two.
This is the very latest driver.

Throw away the old one and stick with the official version from Panasonic.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2204358]Also, I am not sure if this was a good trusteable source. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Definitely not :wink: I have made an image of my system before installing the driver - I just wanted to make sure that the unit works. As soon as I have a working configuration I’ll restore my system from the backup.

This is the very latest driver.
Throw away the old one and stick with the official version from Panasonic.

I’ll do that – thank you!

Gunther

After restoring my system and installing the official driver my DVD-RAM drive works perfect – thanks again for the help I got here.

Here are some links I came across while searching for information about the Panasonic SW-9576-C; maybe others are interested in them too:

[ul]
[li]Panasonic Super MULTI Drives / DVD MULTI Drives[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]Panasonic Super MULTI Drive SW-9576-C (product page)[/ul][/li][ul]
[li]Panasonic Cartridge Type Super Multi Drive SW-9576-C (another product page)[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]Information for OEM customers[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]Update for the DVD-RAM device driver (for DVD Multi drive)[/li][/ul]

Gunther

Hi,[quote=Sharpo51;2204947]After restoring my system and installing the official driver my DVD-RAM drive works perfect – thanks again for the help I got here.[/quote]You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

(…)

[ul]
[li]Update for the DVD-RAM device driver (for DVD Multi drive)[/li]> [/ul]

Perhaps it is useful to mention that this driver version does only install if a Panasonic drive is present. This restriction of the installer - can be removed.

It is more convenient to ask Iris at Toshiba.com for DVD-RAM drivers.:wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2205159]Perhaps it is useful to mention that this driver version does only install if a Panasonic drive is present. This restriction of the installer - can be removed.[/QUOTE]
Oh – I wasn’t aware of this.

]It is more convenient to ask Iris at Toshiba.com for DVD-RAM drivers.:wink:

This sounds interesting. Does this mean that the Toshiba drivers work with the Panasonic units as well? If yes: Do they have any advantages over the Panasonic drivers? A search with Google and this forum gave me the impression that the Toshiba drivers are actually Panasonic’s – as a newbie to current DVD-RAM units I am now puzzled.

That are only genuine DVD-RAM drivers that work with almost all dvd-ram capable drives.

Hi,[quote=Sharpo51;2205506]Oh – I wasn’t aware of this.[/quote]This is not an issue for you since you own a Panasonic drive. If installed, then it should also work with other DVD-RAM drives.

This sounds interesting. Does this mean that the Toshiba drivers work with the Panasonic units as well? If yes: Do they have any advantages over the Panasonic drivers? A search with Google and this forum gave me the impression that the Toshiba drivers are actually Panasonic’s – as a newbie to current DVD-RAM units I am now puzzled.

These drivers are indeed original Panasonic drivers, but their installer is not restricted :wink: But they are older than the latest release from Panasonic directly.

Vista users don’t need these drivers at all, since Vista supports UDF writing on DVD-RAM out-of-the-box.

Michael