SVP UK Selling Taiyo Yuden (JVC-branded) 6x BD-R Media

vbimport

I normally buy 16x Taiyo Yuden dye DVD+R media off SVP, and with finally deciding to research into and start burning bluray discs I prodded them to see if they would be able to stock any.

Thankfully even though they said the normal TY DVD discs sell very little compared to generic DVD-R, they bought some stock in for me :slight_smile:

http://www.svp.co.uk/product.php?product=TAIYOYU-01018

I havent yet done my first burn but will probably test at some point soon (still have 98 DVD+R discs to get though…) - just say if there are any questions that I can answer in a qpxtool Debian Wheezy environment.

Are these TY discs LTH type or regular inorganic recording layer HTL?

LTH has some minor incompatibilities across burners and players.

The spindle says LTH - my basic reading suggested this tech was old news - I will be archiving data on them to be read with my Liteon iHBS112 B and then later Liteon burners.

OK, I have now burnt through both of the spindles I bought - and the result wasnt too good (burner: Liteon iHBS112 2).

General disclaimer: On Debian there isnt a free way to do bluray disc scanning yet, so I am falling back to basic reading of sectors.

The first spindle seemed to burn OK, but this included a number of bodged burns as I worked on getting software that was actually capable of burning bluray discs properly. On the second spindle, I came across a number of discs where the final sectors were burnt to, but unreadable - I countered this with reducing my project sizes by 300MB so I will never write to the ends of the discs. Of course this is unacceptable for Taiyo Yuden discs, so I won’t be buying these again.

I appreciate the fact that SVP got them in specially after I enquired - when I reported the failures back to them they were intially interested (non-TY unrecognised JVC media code meaning my drive would only burn at 2x etc etc), after 4 days of communication I was offered extra discs due to the bad sectors. ~ 1 month after I said I was interested, I check the ticket to find it had been closed… a further message later to enquire, and I find it has been closed again, which is extremely rude!

So, I won’t be getting more bluray media from SVP… it wasnt mentioned at the end, but it could be that they wanted my media back - which I couldnt do at that point as most were burnt and archived in an index of a few thousand discs (aside from the fact the data is private) - however the free discs werent mentioned on condition of returning the others (I did have two unburnt so I offered to return one, but that wasnt taken up).

Now I need to hopefully source some actual TY bluray media (going by the media code) from a different provider :confused:

[QUOTE=Omega Weapon;2654453]OK, I have now burnt through both of the spindles I bought - and the result wasnt too good (burner: Liteon iHBS112 2).

Now I need to hopefully source some actual TY bluray media (going by the media code) from a different provider :/[/QUOTE]

You may want to reconsider your mission to burn TY BD-R with your iHBS112. Have a look here. This is not the first member to mention that the 112 and LTH might not be a good match.

The poster says that those discs would only burn at 2X, which sounds like media ID wasn’t recognised in the firmware?

The PL05 firmware lists the following for BD-Rs:

TYG-BD Y01 2x
TYG-BD Y03 4x
TYG-BD Y05 6x,4x

So presumably when I get at ‘TYG-BD Y05’ media its guaranteed for a proper 6X burn.

[QUOTE=Omega Weapon;2654868]The poster says that those discs would only burn at 2X, which sounds like media ID wasn’t recognised in the firmware?

The PL05 firmware lists the following for BD-Rs:

TYG-BD Y01 2x
TYG-BD Y03 4x
TYG-BD Y05 6x,4x

So presumably when I get at ‘TYG-BD Y05’ media its guaranteed for a proper 6X burn.[/QUOTE]
Ah yes. Didn’t know which version 112 you have.

I suppose it all depends on your definition of proper. A burn like this falls short of mine. But if proper means that it can burn it at 6x without coastering it, you certainly may achieve that :). 2601 has verified that the 112 and 312 are the same hardware, only difference in firmware is the addition of a couple new media with the 312.

I have now got at some genuine Taiyo Yuden discs from Smart Imports - That’s 6x BD-Rs.

cdrskin -atip output demonstrating they have the proper media ID:

$ cdrskin -atip dev=/dev/sr0

cdrskin 1.2.2 : limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn
cdrskin: NOTE : greying out all drives besides given dev='/dev/sr0'
cdrskin: scanning for devices ...
cdrskin: ... scanning for devices done
cdrskin: pseudo-atip on drive 0
cdrskin: status 3 BURN_DISC_APPENDABLE "There is an incomplete disc in the drive"
scsidev: '0,0,0'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Vendor_info    : 'ATAPI'
Identifikation : 'iHBS112 2'
Revision       : 'PL05'
Driver flags   : BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO SAO
cdrskin: burn_drive_get_write_speed = 26970  (6.0x)
Mounted Media: 41h, BD-R sequential recording
Product Id:    TYG-BDY0/Y05/1
Producer:      Taiyo Yuden Company Limited

The reported 6x shows that the firmware has recognised the media properly :slight_smile: I have now done my first burn at 6x, which started at 4x for a bit then jumped to 6x - the first burn was 17480MB so not a full disc however. dvdisaster’s read test (basically a Transfer Rate Test) shows a lovely clean graph, so I have high hopes that this media will do the job I bought it for.

Disclaimer for those that havent read the thread: Debian Testing user here, no free software yet to actually do a disc quality scan.

Mods: Any way to change the thread topic?

I have now burnt 23790 MB successfully on the next disc, so there dont appear to be any issues with the end sectors on these discs.

[QUOTE=Omega Weapon;2657004]I have now burnt 23790 MB successfully on the next disc, so there dont appear to be any issues with the end sectors on these discs.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that they are burning successfully :). If you are archiving data on these, please take a look at this recent test of the archival stability of BD-R. Turns out that the TY LTH proved to be the shortest-lived of the BD-R tested. By quite a margin. Please re-test those at regular(4 month) intervals for signs of degradation? They may well last a year or two. Do stop back and give us a real-world report on them as time passes?

I do hope they serve your need adequately :flower:.

I would like to think Taiyo Yuden know what theyre doing… would rather see some actual corruption this end before I blacklist them. I have picked a full burn from the current media, and attached a dvdisaster scan. I have set a reminder to repeat this on this thread every 4 months as advised to see if the degradation actually happens.

I buy things to last as long as needed, so ‘a few years’ is fraud. 5-10 years is the period the media will be valid for I imagine.

I would like to do actual disc quality scans, but there is no free software I know of on GNU/Linux to do this currently - I have promised to donate if the programmer behind qpxtool adds the functionality - if other freedom-loving users read this, please chip in too :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Omega Weapon;2657395]
I buy things to last as long as needed, so ‘a few years’ is fraud. 5-10 years is the period the media will be valid for I imagine.

I would like to do actual disc quality scans, but there is no free software I know of on GNU/Linux to do this currently - I have promised to donate if the programmer behind qpxtool adds the functionality - if other freedom-loving users read this, please chip in too :)[/QUOTE]

On the one hand, the whole purpose behind longevity testing is to help remove that “I imagine” or “I think” factor from our assessment of archive-worthy media. It is helpful.

Taiyo Yuden does know what they are doing, and coming to the party late with a BD offering were faced with the reality that the most price competitive Japanese-made BD-R they could offer was an LTH. I applaud their determination to keep the industry and jobs in their own country. The costs of producing media in Japan has shifted all other Japanese manufacturers to producing the majority of their HTL BD-R media in Taiwan and elsewhere(except for Panasonic).

But at the end of the day, reports from users like you and me and other members on our actual experience with the media is a crucial piece of the puzzle, and helps fill in the actual numbers on just how much longer/shorter different media will survive.

Your test is perfectly valid, and should show some signs of degradation on the read speed graph if the discs start failing. Thank you for joining our ongoing watch on BD aging, your results will be a big help. I do hope that your guesstimate is close to the reality.

ps: we are all waiting for that free testing software :wink:

I am happy to help here with the testing - when I said ‘valid for’, I meant the probable period during which I will find the burnt data useful, not the duration which the media will remain corruption-free for. I guess when the current spindle runs out I will look into how to get at the Panasonic media…

[QUOTE=Omega Weapon;2657692]I am happy to help here with the testing - when I said ‘valid for’, I meant the probable period during which I will find the burnt data useful, not the duration which the media will remain corruption-free for. I guess when the current spindle runs out I will look into how to get at the Panasonic media…[/QUOTE]

I did misunderstand you. Sorry. Thanks again. I can only guess at the TY’s lifespan based on the graphical comparison with a disc I am familiar with like the Verbatim HTL. Mine are showing significant signs of aging at near 2 years and I’m reburning them. A member of another forum is seeing a significant number of them failing at 2-3 years. Just keep an eye on your TY’s and you will not risk losing anything.

qpxtool now has a test build which does bluray disc quality scanning (see earlier link to the thread), so I have now scanned the disc, attached (looks like the width limits on the size are too restrictive so the image has been transcoded from png to jpeg…).

Windows Opti Drive Control users are needed to help trace SCSI commands used so that qpxtool can support morde drives - please see my thread on the Burning Software forum.

Attached is the latest scan of ADM181.

Another scan attached.

Another scan attached.

And again.

Again.