Suugestions for SATA controller card

Hi! I am using Windows XP x64. My motherboard SATA connections are both used by a RAID 0 configuration from now on, so I have to connect the burner otherwise. So I am looking for an SATA PCI or PCIe card to connect my 760SA. Any suggestions for good and not too expensive cards?

Hi :slight_smile:
Something along the lines of this.
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=336525

The Silicon Image SiL 3512 chipset works with the burner? Because the SiL 3112 I tried some time ago had problems. The burning process never started.

[QUOTE=Arrow;1949114]The Silicon Image SiL 3512 chipset works with the burner? Because the SiL 3112 I tried some time ago had problems. The burning process never started.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK all SiliconImage chipsets work.
However if using other than Vista the flashing of the bios appears to a problem for some.
I use both the 3114 & 3512 cards.
Have no problems at all.
The newr 3512 is probably easier to flash.
But when using these cards. You must flash the bios to BASE BIOS (non-raid).
Then instal the drivers for use with optical prefrence.

My card has a RAID BIOS on it. I will try to find a non RAID BIOS.

Remember that Plextor USA has compatibility lists for SATA:

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712SA.htm
http://www.plextor.com/english/support/PX-716SA%20motherboard%20compatability%20listing.htm
http://www.plextor.com/english/support/support_compatability.html#

I’m not an expert in SATA matters but from having read various stuff it seems to me that hardware has very little to do with compatibility and it is all in the bios/driver setup of the hardware.

Some Bios for SATA adapters simply don’t have ATAPI support included and therefore won’t work with SATA optical drives. If you consult the above lists you’ll - for example in the 716 list - find the SiL 3112 supporting ODD and also not supporting ODD. In one case it is a generic SATA adapter in the other a RAID only solution.

Best is to check for ATAPI support for each product with the manufacturer.

[QUOTE=Arrow;1949178]My card has a RAID BIOS on it. I will try to find a non RAID BIOS.[/QUOTE]

You just have to find a way to flash the bios then.
If you know of someone with Vista (you could even download a trial version).
It is easy to do.

[QUOTE=hwp;1949184]
Best is to check for ATAPI support for each product with the manufacturer.[/QUOTE]

I have use several Silicon Image PCI SATA controller cards with Plextors.
The key is flashing the card with the BASE BIOS.
This bios is identical for all cards, with the exception of card ID + # of connections permitted (2 or 4).
Having done this there is an ATAPI supported driver. Again pretty much identical except for card ID + # of conections permitted.

The BASE BIOS is included in the full download, as is the ATAPI compatable driver.

For Sil3512:
[B][U]BASE BIOS etc:[/U][/B]
[B][U]BASE DRIVER:[/U][/B]

Thanks! I just saw that I have the controller card a few miles away. I will get there in X-mas holidays. So I will report back then when I have tried the thing!

I had used a noname PCI-E SATA-Controller with SiL3132 together with the Plextor PX-760SA without any problems. Now I have motherboards with i965P and P35, which have both 6 (0 - 5) SATA-ports (Intel) and 2 SATA-ports JMicron. The Plextor PX-755SA and PX-760SA are connected to SATA-Port 5. Both controllers are running in AHCI-Mode.

I will try using the DOS flashing utility. Otherwise I will go for the Vista Trial.

[quote=zebadee;1949185]Hi :slight_smile:
You just have to find a way to flash the bios then.
If you know of someone with Vista (you could even download a trial version).
It is easy to do.

[/quote]

Could You PLEASE, help me flash the base bios?I would like to burn my backup DVD’s at a faster speed using my LiteOn LH-20A1S12C. Also, I am using Windows XP. It takes 2-4 hours to transcode and burn movies unto a blank TDK dvd.The first two movies that i burned looks okay but the third one eject before finishing burning and it wasn’t any Error message shown. So I assume that it burned okay until later when I watched half of the movie. What am I doing wrong? Please, break the computer terms down for me. I know very little about computers. Oh, the writer that I brought is a Serial ATA Drive and my computer is installed for IDE. This means that I had to purchase a serial ATA cable,4-pin to serial ATA power adapter and PCI serial ATA Host (SCSI and RAID Controller Card). Lastly, I checked my computer DMA for Primary and Secondary IDE Channels as it was listed in another post.

Primary:

Device 0 --> Device Type–> Auto detect. Transfer Mode–> DMA if Available.–> Current Transfer Mode–> Ultra DMA Mode 6

Device 1–> Device Type–> Auto Detection --> Transfer Mode–> DMA if available–> Current Transfer Mode–>Not Applicable.

Secondary:

Device 0: Device type–> Auto Detection–> Transfer Mode–> DMA if available–> Current Transfer Mode–> Multi-Word DMA Mode 2

Device 1–> Device type–> Auto Detection–> Transfer Mode–> DMA if available–> Current Transfer Mode–> Not Applicable

This is what underneath the controllers–> VIA BUS MASTER IDE

[B]*[/B]The third drive was used for my other LiteOn product before I purchased a new one.(DVD-ROM Combo Drive LTC-481614 )

This is what’s under the DVD/CD-ROM Drives when I clicked the + Link.

Main Hard Drive is:HL-DT-ST-CD-RW-GCE-8400B

SATA Burner Drive is:LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S SCSI Cd RomDevice
<!-- / message -->
Under Tab Flash BIO, then Flash Part Information it says
(CHIP TYPE:SST 39VF010 Size:128K)

My chipset is The Silicon Image SiL 3512 and it supposely works with my burner. But I can’t understand why my LiteOn burns for 2-4 hours and how last time it eject before finished burning " AWAKE ".

Here’s the link on what SATA Controller Card that I’ve Purchased.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…82E16815124006
<!-- / message -->

Anyway, I am trying to understand how I can Flash the BIOS to BASE BIOS? This is so confusing because I don’t know much about computers. I tried uninstalling the device (and Nero7) and disabling it (the device) but it keeps popping up in RAID under device manager,etc. Also, I tried to follow the step to browse the flash image file under the program flash tab. Not successful trying.

Help would be appreciated. I will try to check back in later to ready available post. Please give me a little time to response because I have two babies. It’s very complicated trying to use the computer while they are awake. Thank-You!

Hi,[quote=Cheerio;2075954]Anyway, I am trying to understand how I can Flash the BIOS to BASE BIOS?[/quote]Go through these steps:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/sata-ide-converter-235682/#post1972211
I flashed my 3512 controller exactly this way.

Michael