Survey: iPad steals a third of netbook shoppers

vbimport

Survey: iPad steals a third of netbook shoppers.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/05/vy3B1r.jpg[/newsimage]There's some truth to Apple's prediction that the iPad would win over potential netbook buyers, according to a survey of consumers.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ipad-steals-a-third-of-netbook-shoppers-30139/](http://www.myce.com/news/ipad-steals-a-third-of-netbook-shoppers-30139/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I have a really hard time believing the results of this survey. The kicker for me is the lack of an actual hardware keyboard. I can’t really imagine doing even “light” word processing on something without a keyboard. But that’s just me, and I likely type a lot more than the average netbook user. I use my netbook for a lot more than just web surfing, tweeting, and playing media.

So my question is: Are people planning to buy an iPad over a netbook they were originally considering because it’ s the hot, trendy thing right now? Because as far as functionality goes, the two don’t even compare IMO.

Most people do a majority of content consumption, rather than content creation. For email, the iPad supposedly works pretty well. With all that said, I can definitely see why the iPad is eating into netbook sales.

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2520833]Most people do a majority of content consumption, rather than content creation. For email, the iPad supposedly works pretty well. With all that said, I can definitely see why the iPad is eating into netbook sales.[/QUOTE]

I can see that. The people I know who do own iPads already are absolutely thrilled to own them and do, I believe, just use them primarily for content consumption and the occasional tweet, email, or other short interaction.

Also, I should note that I have one of the 10" netbooks rather than the 8.9" and the extra inch makes a big difference. That, coupled with the fact that I have unusually small hands & fingers make the 10" netbook remarkably easy for me to use for just about anything I need to do.

[QUOTE=wconeybeer;2520842]the extra inch makes a big difference. That, coupled with the fact that I have unusually small hands[/QUOTE]

Uhhh…

LMAO!

For me, I use my netbook for more than just browsing the web. For example, I do need to carry out the occasional content editing, usually in Publisher for which I’m sure there is no iPad equivalent. While on holidays, I use the Netbook to backup my photos to an external HDD each evening I return to the B&B or hotel. During my last vacation, I stayed at a motel which provided free Internet by network ports only, but not Wi-Fi. iPads don’t have a network port. :disagree:

On the other hand, if the iPad was like that Chinese knock-off, i.e. USB ports, Windows OS, etc. that would make a nice netbook replacement for me. :smiley:

The iPad’s keyboard is surprisingly easy to type on, better than I expected.

You can get keyboard attachments and since its bluetooth capable you will probably be able to use a wireless bluetooth keyboard with it too with the iPad leaning on its stand.

I think there is also pretty good speech to text software on iPhone / iPad so you could just dictate to it which is kinda cool.

But all that aside iPad can’t fill the needs of some netbook functions. Its tethered to iTunes requiring activation and so its not a standalone product for people without computers.

What they don’t say is that they took the survey outside of an Apple store.

[QUOTE=Im a PC;2521075]What they don’t say is that they took the survey outside of an Apple store.[/QUOTE]Probably inside the Apple Store I say :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I have done it. I have given in to the dark side.
Yesterday on total impulse, I bought an iPad on launch day in Canada. I have always disliked so much about Apple and this is my fist Apple product but I have so say I love it. It’s damn cool. I also can’t believe how fast I typed this. No typos.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2521492]Probably inside the Apple Store I say :p[/QUOTE]
And the survey consisted of all the Apple employees.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Okay, so I was visiting Ottawa on the weekend and I’m in the Rideau Centre. I stumble across an Apple store, which I didn’t think we had in Canada. There are hundreds of people playing with the new iPad but nobody in the lineup, so I decide to give it a go. One of the clerks help me find an iPad and I play with it for a bit.

My impressions are that it’s a big version of a Touch. The screen was nice (even though there was a glare) and the UI was slick. No slowdows. If I was just a content user, didn’t hate Apple, and had a spare $700 in my pocket then I might have bought one. I certainly see the appeal, but it would just be a toy for me.

If I was just a content user, didn’t hate Apple, and had a spare $700 in my pocket then I might have bought one. I certainly see the appeal, but it would just be a toy for me.
Same goes for me. I tried it at a friends place, it’s fancy and quick, and I might have a use for it when on business trips and for reading, but I don’t think I have 500E to spare for just doing that. I am not an apple hater in general - I just hate Apples attitude and prices :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=ivid;2521577]Well I have done it. I have given in to the dark side.
Yesterday on total impulse, I bought an iPad on launch day in Canada. I have always disliked so much about Apple and this is my[B] fist[/B] Apple product but I have so say I love it. It’s damn cool. I also can’t believe how fast I typed this. [U]No typos[/U].[/QUOTE]hmm … not really :disagree:

:p:p

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2522014]hmm … not really :disagree:[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha. Burn.

Well I can say that I’ve hardly used my desktop since I got my iPad Friday. It’s all about couch computing. You can just use it anywhere. It’s nice to have the web and email etc. and I don’t have to be in my office sitting at my desk.

[QUOTE=ivid;2522250]Well I can say that I’ve hardly used my desktop since I got my iPad Friday. It’s all about couch computing. You can just use it anywhere. It’s nice to have the web and email etc. and I don’t have to be in my office sitting at my desk.[/QUOTE]

Can you save stuff from the web? Like, umm… “nature” videos?

What the iPad needs is a Remote Desktop app for Windows but I bet it would get blocked by Apple. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DeadMan;2522480]What the iPad needs is a Remote Desktop app for Windows but I bet it would get blocked by Apple. :)[/QUOTE]
:slight_smile: that would rock, but I also doubt it would be “approved” by the Apple overlords