Surface RT tablets prices announced

I just posted the article Surface RT tablets prices announced.

[quote][/quote]

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/surface-rt-tablets-prices-announced-64363/](http://www.myce.com/news/surface-rt-tablets-prices-announced-64363/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I read the entire article then visited the preorder page for the MS surface and no where on the tech specs or any place else could I find how much room does the windows 8 RT Operating system take up on a 32gig model I think they left that out on purpose I found the answer on neowin the answer is 20gigs is left on the Surface 32gig for anyone that might be wondering.

I was never very interested in these RT tablets for my personal use. It does seem odd that their prices are so high. Their main competition are the Apple iPad 2 and iPad3, which are well established to say the least. The iPads dominate the market, and have an enormous catalog of software that can be used on them.

The limited desktop in these RT tablets are not a great selling point. They will only support a few, select programs, so they aren’t really a substitute for a good Windows laptop. And you can find a fairly adequate laptop at the price of the 64gb Surface RT.

To compete with Apple in this market, Microsoft should have done one of two things. They should have offered a tablet that was basically equivalent in hardware, but for a lower price, or they should have blown the iPads out of the water with their technical specifications and sold them at the same price point as the Apple tablets. Microsoft did neither. In the screen alone, Apple’s product is clearly superior.

I’ve seen some comments around the net saying that the Surface Pro, which will use a full x86 version of Windows 8, will cost in the neighborhood of $800. A brief Google search brings up a half dozen good laptops in this price range. I’m just not sure the small form factor is enough of a draw for this one to succeed either.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2659765]I was never very interested in these RT tablets for my personal use. It does seem odd that their prices are so high. Their main competition are the Apple iPad 2 and iPad3, which are well established to say the least. The iPads dominate the market, and have an enormous catalog of software that can be used on them.

The limited desktop in these RT tablets are not a great selling point. They will only support a few, select programs, so they aren’t really a substitute for a good Windows laptop. And you can find a fairly adequate laptop at the price of the 64gb Surface RT.

To compete with Apple in this market, Microsoft should have done one of two things. They should have offered a tablet that was basically equivalent in hardware, but for a lower price, or they should have blown the iPads out of the water with their technical specifications and sold them at the same price point as the Apple tablets. Microsoft did neither. In the screen alone, Apple’s product is clearly superior.

I’ve seen some comments around the net saying that the Surface Pro, which will use a full x86 version of Windows 8, will cost in the neighborhood of $800. A brief Google search brings up a half dozen good laptops in this price range. I’m just not sure the small form factor is enough of a draw for this one to succeed either.[/QUOTE]I have to agree with your points Apple is way ahead of Microsoft and the price for what you get with Microsofts surface Tablet to me is a joke I would also buy a laptop instead of the Surface tablet.

Their are many new tablets on the market priced way lower than MS’S new surface and of course they run andriod Os"s and I find them very nice the kindle fire HD"s offer much more than Mircrosoft’s surface at least for me for the money and the google nexus all priced in the 200-300 range with good hardware specs.

I’m half-laughing at every Surface pix I see - portable keyboard splayed out, tablet set up like a picture-frame flat-screen monitor.

I wonder how long it will be before they attach the keyboard to hinges at the bottom of the flat-screen tablet? That way, instead of lugging around two pieces, I can pick up a single foldable format? Gee. What a novel idea!

Yeah the people at Microsoft insist on this tiered pricing scheme. It’s freaking annoying. It’s like they keep repeating the same mistakes, telling themselves that they are right and everything will work out right. For example, how confused were people with the different forms of Vista? Yep, they repeated the same mistakes again. Not only that but why can’t they sell one full version of Windows 7 instead of 6? Why do you have to pay more money to get all the functions? Are they really making that much more money with 6 versions?

I just read in today’s ComputerWorld Wrap-Up that the $499.00 Surface tablet has sold out and there is already a 3-week backorder to get one.

@ChristineBCW: The keyboards (called the touch cover and type cover) do attach to the bottom of the tablet, and they do close over the screen like a laptop . You can take it off if you want to use the tablet without it, but you don’t ever have to.

^The greatest demand for any new device is usually in the first few days or weeks. And being out of the lowest priced one may simply show that MS didn’t make very many of the bottom tier tablet.

Also, if someone wanted one of the colored keyboards, they would buy the cheapest one (without a keyboard) and get the color they wanted as an accessory.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2659869]I just read in today’s ComputerWorld Wrap-Up that the $499.00 Surface tablet has sold out and there is already a 3-week backorder to get one.

@ChristineBCW: The keyboards (called the touch cover and type cover) do attach to the bottom of the tablet, and they do close over the screen like a laptop . You can take it off if you want to use the tablet without it, but you don’t ever have to.[/QUOTE]

Even shitty movies will sometimes do well the first week or so because of the actors in the movie and because the word hasn’t gotten out yet. I will be highly surprised if they can keep up that level of sales.

Sorry, I was kidding about the splayed out keyboards. I just think these are hilarious - AND BAD. One article said, “Interesting product, priced to fail”.

They are back to nickle-and-dime’ing customers, too, so base models (the $499) ends up in the $650 range easily.

All the while having less functionality than a $300 dual-core notebook. I’m amazed.

I thought these would be eePC competitors, in the $100-200 range max, and now I see them nearing a thousand dollars?!! Simply because I can clear out desk area for a touch screen?!!

So, Asus, how IS that eePC doing these days? Move over - the Surface will be joining you…

Best value for money right now is the 64GB BlackBerry PlayBook ($218). It doesn’t run Windows or have 100,000 Android apps, but it has a great screen, fast, HDMI out, and is the most secure tablet you can buy. I’m hoping BB10 will be amazing.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2659999]Best value for money right now is the 64GB BlackBerry PlayBook ($218). It doesn’t run Windows or have 100,000 Android apps, but it has a great screen, fast, HDMI out, and is the most secure tablet you can buy. I’m hoping BB10 will be amazing.[/QUOTE]I’m with you, DukeNukem. I’ve read a couple articles that say BB10 might launch Blackberry back to it’s former dominance.

Whats wrong with Microsoft. If they want to compete with Apple, this has to be cheaper. Steve Ballmer and some of the other top guys at Microsoft need to be fired.

[QUOTE=silver30;2660242]Whats wrong with Microsoft. If they want to compete with Apple, this has to be cheaper. Steve Ballmer and some of the other top guys at Microsoft need to be fired.[/QUOTE]You have got that right for sure.:iagree:

I still can’t believe the “$499 base product sold out” news. Unless they had, like, 8 units total, and Ballmer & Gates were shipping them to their in-laws or something. (“Give to a friend - make an enemy! Or give to an in-law, and they’ve got a new doorstop!”)

I honestly can’t understand ANY viability for a Tablet Marketplace. I think small, hand-held pocket sized devices have a place. And I think notebooks have a place.

But something in between? WHY?!! “Oh, I only want to carry a 2lb device.”

Oh? Add in a 2-lb power brick, add in any external storage devices. Buy a new carrying tote-bag, too. So now, the 2-lb device is about 6 lbs. “Well, that’s still better than a 10-lb notebook!” Yes. But “Carrying it” is the ONLY thing it’s better at.

I guess those forced marches across tropical jungle trails might indeed give Tablets a worthy marketplace. “Yes, General, our research showed that, in the first 15 miles of the Kokoda, people were discarding their Toshiba notebooks…”

I really wonder what kind of market research these folks pad their expense reports with. “We MUST charge these fees to include all of our research!”

[QUOTE=silver30;2660242]Whats wrong with Microsoft. If they want to compete with Apple, this has to be cheaper. Steve Ballmer and some of the other top guys at Microsoft need to be fired.[/QUOTE]

The only person who could fire Steve Ballmer was Bill Gates, but the US government forced him to give up Microsoft entirely at the end of the 1990s though he is still its largest shareholder. He’s going to rule Microsoft until about 2050.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2660053]I’m with you, DukeNukem. I’ve read a couple articles that say BB10 might launch Blackberry back to it’s former dominance.[/QUOTE]

They were only half-joking. RIM can save a little by selling BlackBerry to a third-tier Chinese phone manufacturer. They could have saved more by selling it to Samsung or HTC two years ago, but not even a second-tier Chinese company is any longer interested now. There are some reporters that are saying otherwise for they hope to save the worst embarrassment for last.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2660271]I still can’t believe the “$499 base product sold out” news. Unless they had, like, 8 units total, and Ballmer & Gates were shipping them to their in-laws or something. (“Give to a friend - make an enemy! Or give to an in-law, and they’ve got a new doorstop!”)

I honestly can’t understand ANY viability for a Tablet Marketplace. I think small, hand-held pocket sized devices have a place. And I think notebooks have a place.

But something in between? WHY?!! “Oh, I only want to carry a 2lb device.”

Oh? Add in a 2-lb power brick, add in any external storage devices. Buy a new carrying tote-bag, too. So now, the 2-lb device is about 6 lbs. “Well, that’s still better than a 10-lb notebook!” Yes. But “Carrying it” is the ONLY thing it’s better at.

I guess those forced marches across tropical jungle trails might indeed give Tablets a worthy marketplace. “Yes, General, our research showed that, in the first 15 miles of the Kokoda, people were discarding their Toshiba notebooks…”

I really wonder what kind of market research these folks pad their expense reports with. “We MUST charge these fees to include all of our research!”[/QUOTE]

The Surface “will have a 10.6 inch screen with 1366 x 768 resolution.” That is peanuts in front of the iPad’s eye-popping Retina display, or the 2880-by-1800 resolution on the Retina 15.4 screen of the MacBook Pro.

I keep wondering about why the Surface is so expensive, since it is wholly outclassed by Mac stuff.

[QUOTE=Coconut;2660284]The Surface “will have a 10.6 inch screen with 1366 x 768 resolution.” That is peanuts in front of the iPad’s eye-popping Retina display, or the 2880-by-1800 resolution on the Retina 15.4 screen of the MacBook Pro.

I keep wondering about why the Surface is so expensive, since it is wholly outclassed by Mac stuff.[/QUOTE]

For marketing reasons. Apple designed their third-generation iPad hoping they could sell over 100 million iPads. Microsoft’s concept of Surface is to present some kind of reference for everyone else except Apple so that the market will be flooded by all kinds of non-Microsoft Windows 8 tablet products made by Samsung, LG, HTC, Asus, etc.

Cost difference between Apple’s Retina 2560 by 1536 LCD panel and 1280 by 720 to 1366 by 768 panels are rather small. Analysts estimate it at around US$20 to $50, but now Apple controls at least some of the panel-manufacturing facilities and there must be more suppliers. The panels are difficult to manufacture and the yield rate is very low while assembling them into thin tablets and laptops is more challenging.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2660288]For marketing reasons. Apple designed their third-generation iPad hoping they could sell over 100 million iPads. Microsoft’s concept of Surface is to present some kind of reference for everyone else except Apple so that the market will be flooded by all kinds of non-Microsoft Windows 8 tablet products made by Samsung, LG, HTC, Asus, etc.

Cost difference between Apple’s Retina 2560 by 1536 LCD panel and 1280 by 720 to 1366 by 768 panels are rather small. Analysts estimate it at around US$20 to $50, but now Apple controls at least some of the panel-manufacturing facilities and there must be more suppliers. The panels are difficult to manufacture and the yield rate is very low while assembling them into thin tablets and laptops is more challenging.[/QUOTE]

I asked you before, and now the release of Windows 8 is getting close, so I’ll ask again. The eye-popping resolution of the Retina screen (2048 by 1536 pixels for the 9.7 screen if the iPad, which is higher than that of any existing PC laptop, presently 1920 x 1060 or some such for 15.4 screen, as compared to 2880-by-1800 resolution for the MacBook at the same size) – will anything like it be offered on PC laptops? I have seen no announcment of anything close.