Supersizing my mp3 player

vbimport

Hi there

Have been using a Dell Axim for the past 12 months as a 24/7 mp3 player and it has been fantastic - never missed a beat!
Contains a 4gb CF card AND a 2gb SD card with PocketMusic (similar to Winamp) to organise and play the tracks. The unit sits on a shelf out of sight, out of mind and just keeps playing 24/7 with miniscule power consumption / heat / vibration

Now its time to get bigger and better and hoping for a much larger touch screen with the same external card facility (no hard drives please) - as I have my entire mp3 collection (about 15,000 tracks) divided between numerous cards.

any ideas much appreciated - have looked at tablets, thin clients etc, but all miss the card facility of the Axim

thanks in advance
cheers

is the Axim restricted to capacity of these cards in terms of how large a CF card it can see for example. if this is not the case, and you are very happy with your setup as it is now, I would suggest looking into simply purchasing higher capacity media cards.

Otherwise, for flash based mp3 players I would suggest the creative line or the Sandisc Sansa.

I don’t think its worth getting bigger cards…the price starts to rocket up when you get bigger cards…

I think a solid state 20 GB (or more) in a new unit would be the way to go.

[quote=deanimator;2027733]I don’t think its worth getting bigger cards…the price starts to rocket up when you get bigger cards…

I think a solid state 20 GB (or more) in a new unit would be the way to go.[/quote]

Hence why I am trying to establish total capacity the Axim can see, if it is for example 8GB, or if he is lucky 16GB, then we can price compare to see which is better.

Nowadays, flash media is getting so dirt cheap, I just saw an 8GB CF go for $32 shipped, I do not see why considering this upgrade isn’t feasible. Further, we would also need to establish how much music it is that is in question of being stored, obviously flash capacity cards have their limit atm compared to hdd based players.

Hopefully, the asnwer to the Axim question can help us provide an more efficient answer.:slight_smile: