Sunday read: How Tesla founder Elon Musk wants to colonize Mars and is on its way

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Sunday read: How Tesla founder Elon Musk wants to colonize Mars and is on its way[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/05/Mars_mission-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Co-founder of Paypal and currently best known as CEO of Tesla, Elon Musk, has big dreams, he wants to colonize Mars to make a backup of humans on another planet. It’s a story of a single entrepreneur who not only takes it up against big car manufacturers, but on its way to Mars also successfully competes with enormous companies as Boeing and Lockheed and hopes to add Comcast and Time Warner to that list as well.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/sunday-read-tesla-founder-elon-musk-wants-colonize-mars-way-79357/](http://www.myce.com/news/sunday-read-tesla-founder-elon-musk-wants-colonize-mars-way-79357/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

So the Google Car CEO wants to colonize Mars, no less?!

I am not going to invest hours in this unless someone can explain how he would overcome the first problem. A person with a weight of 80Kg on earth would weigh 30.4Kg on Mars. In practice this would mean that only after a few generations, the joints of the descendants would make them unable to return to Earth as the knees would have a hard time tackling the pressure.

Why not, here is the entire conversion table for our solar system for a person 80Kg - The table starts at the sun :wink:
Mercury-30.2, Venus-72.3Kg, Earth-80.0Kg, Mars-30.4Kg, Jupiter-211.2Kg, Saturn-91.1Kg, Uranus-73.4Kg, Neptune-91.8Kg

As you can see, Mercury and Mars is about the worst places in terms of returning to Earth for more than a short stay.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2773981]
Mercury-30.2, Venus-72.3Kg, Earth-80.0Kg, Mars-30.4Kg, Jupiter-211.2Kg, Saturn-91.1Kg, Uranus-73.4Kg, Neptune-91.8Kg

As you can see, [B]Mercury and Mars is about the worst places[/B] in terms of returning to Earth for more than a short stay.[/QUOTE] Except that Venus’ atmosphere will cook and crush and dissolve you, while the other planets are gas-planets with no actual surface so you’ll sink into their interior and get crushed there. So with the exception of all the other planets, Mars is the worst. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2773982]Except that Venus’ atmosphere will cook and crush and dissolve you, while the other planets are gas-planets with no actual surface so you’ll sink into their interior and get crushed there. So with the exception of all the other planets, Mars is the worst. :p[/QUOTE]

LOL or you could try the dwarf Pluto where 80Kg would equal 4.5Kg here on earth, awfully cold, but there may be one or two possible moons though :stuck_out_tongue:

Then again, I guess we will have to wait until the Andromeda galaxy chrashes into the Milky way around the same time our sun expands to eat Earth… Should be several exoplanets around at that time or another sun to propel the earth to orbit. Then again, if you draw a cross in Orion (The flat X and 90 degrees of the baseline), it points to the Betlehem star and so maybe we should check in that direction to finally meet our creator

^It is not entirely fun, I think, given the future can calculate the shit, it is a feasible emergency plan, but we really do not need decide in the world of today, apart from accepting the facts. Most probably, we have managed to kill ourselves way before that, predacious as we are…

Lets all leave for Mars, I wonder if they can get my Social Security check into a bank up there, and where would I spend my money. No Amazon Prime I guess. :bigsmile::bigsmile:

Can I bring my precious iPhone and iPad onboard? I just want to play some video games for the sake of time-killing, in case the sightseeing gets bored up there…oops…:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Ooh, BTW, is there Wi-Fi up there, I don’t think my carrier can make its way there, can they? :p:p:p

What a fine thread to introduce to some on-topic lyrics :bigsmile:

“The Intergalactic Laxative” - Donovan Phillips Leitch (1972)

I was impressed like everyone,
When man began to fly,
Out of earthly regions,
To planets in the sky.
With total media coverage,
We watched the heroes land,
As ceremoniously
They disturbed the cosmic sand.

In awe with admiration,
We listened to the talk.
Such pride felt they,
Such joy to be
Upon the moon to walk.
My romantic vision shattered,
When it was explained to me,
Spacemen wear old diapers
In which they shit and pee.

Oh, the intergalactic laxative,
Will get you from here to there.
Relieve you and believe me,
Without a worry or care.
If shitting is your problem,
When you’re out there in the stars,
Oh, the intergalactic laxative
Will get you from here to Mars.

They don’t partake like you and I,
Of beefy burger mush.
Their food is specially prepared
To dissolve into slush.
Absorbed by multi-fibers
In the super diaper suit,
Otherwise the slush would trickle
Down inside the boot.

Without a worry or care.
If shitting is your problem

You may well ask now what becomes
Of liquid they consume.
A pipe is led from penis head
To a unit in the room.
The water is recirculated,
Filtered for re-use.
In case of anti-gravity -
Pee gets on the loose.

Without a worry or care.

Wherever man has conquered,
On the quest for frontiers new,
(Da da da da)
I’m glad that he’s always had to do
The number one and two.
It makes it all so ordinary,
Just like you and me,
To know the greatest heroes,
They had to shit and pee.

The intergalactic laxative
Will get you from here to there,
For cosmic constipation
There’s none that can compare.
The intergalactic laxative,
The intergalactic laxative,

[QUOTE=Johnnoy;2773993]Ooh, BTW, is there Wi-Fi up there, I don’t think my carrier can make its way there, can they? :p:p:p[/QUOTE] Extending network cables to Mars seems like it would be quite a challenge, so it would probably have to be a wireless link. :cool:
Ping times would not be great. :disagree:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2774025]Extending network cables to Mars seems like it would be quite a challenge, so it would probably have to be a wireless link. :cool:
Ping times would not be great. :disagree:[/QUOTE]

We’re past milliseconds, that’s for sure

“Oh and if you wonder how he wants to compete with Comcast and Time Warner? Because he can send stuff cheaper and cheaper into space, and because he argues that new technology could make satellites much cheaper, he wants to send 4000 satellites into space and become a world covering internet provider.”

And he’s going to get his Mars rocket through his near impenetrable shield of 4000 satellites How?

OK, so we can build cheaper (and presumably crappier) spaceships… I’m sure that’ll save us when our solar system is destroyed by some rogue star. This will probably happen just a few minutes before the sun becomes a black hole, swallowing everything.

Of course, that prediction isn’t based on any scientific prediction. Rather, it’s based 100% on my own never-ending skepticism, which also tells me humanity will have already become extinct, a result of own nuclear wars and corporate-driven environmental pollution.

^LOL, My views above are in part based on science and indeed, the Andromeda Galaxy is headed straight for us and the crash is predicted to occur in about 4 billion years and the merging of the two black holes at the center of each galaxy and probability of planetary collisions and star merges are what future scientistst are up against, given we survive thus far.

The sun is way to small to turn into a black hole, though it will expand to engulf the inner planets before retracting to a white dwarf. The scientists are not entirely sure if it will swallow Earth as well, but it hardly matters. 7.6 billion years from now, we are in a ‘bright future’ where the sun shines 3000 times brighter than today and our planet is a brown uninhabitable place.
This is no easy calculation because although the sun will expand beyond Earth’s orbit, or one astronomical unit (1 AU=the distance from Earth to the sun), it will loose mass along the way. As a result, Earth should drift outward as the gravitational tug lessens over time. (At its maximum radius of 1.2 AU, the sun will have lost about one third of its mass, compared with its current heft.) This way, Earth ‘could’ escape solar envelopment.

According to Scientist American, we could try to nudge the Earth with a large asteroid arranged to pass nearby periodically. It could take one billion years to move our planet out to somewhere safe, like the orbit of Mars. However, they fail to mention that this orbit will be awfully cold once the sun has retracted to a white dwarf.

Your rogue star is a possibility albeit in the veins of a snowball’s chance in hell in terms of the probability of it happening (space is huge).

Like you, I think we have blown ourselves to pieces in some idiotic war long before that. We seem to start those because of idiotic reasons like oil (greed), religion (to see who’s got the better imaginary friend) and so on. In the future access to water (basic needs) will also be a reason for war and then my own country with its vast pure and renewable fresh water resources better have a very effective defense as we have better quality tap-water than most of the world can buy in bottles.

… So, while the future looks bright in terms of the sun expanding, it looks dark from where I’m sitting. 40 years from now, there simply will not be enough food for the entire human population even if we share whatever is available and that happens let’s say just a tad before galactic collisions and all… :stuck_out_tongue: